It's finally here! The "Best Midget Performances" Thread!!!

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:35 pm
What is the greatest acting performance ever, by a midget, dwarf, little person...I don't know the current politically correct term, but you know what I'm sayin...what's the best acting performance by a frickin' midget?

I say you need not look back further than Tony Cox, and his portrayal of tragicomedic villain Marcus, in the movie, Bad Santa, to find on-screen brilliance by a midget, dwarf, little person...not to mention a scene with Bernie Mac, that, if this movie had been seen by more than twelve people, would have had it's place among the great scenes in comedic history. He's hilarious in this movie, which, by the way, is destined to be a classic. Okay, maybe that's just me, but really, I just ran across this movie on On-Demand, and I was cracking up!

Other than that, the only acting I can even REMEMBER by a midget is Verne Troyer, who played Mini-me, but that ain't really acting, is it?

So what do you think? What are your favorite midget performances?

I have a feeling this is going to be a very short thread.

Heeheee, I kill me...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,036 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 12:06 am
A film full of little people is, of course, Willow (1988), whose leading actor Warwick Davis also appeared in a string of "Leprechaun" movies as well as playing an Ewok in Star Wars episode 6 and two spin offs. He also appears in A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005).

There are little people performing also in fairy tale films like Legend (1985) and Labyrinth (1986).

But my favourite performance by little people is without doubt in the film Freaks (1932).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:58 am
Lest we forget, the consumate classic performances of the little people is still "The Wizard of Oz."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:09 am
Leave this open to any "little people" including dwarves:

Linda Hunt in "The Year of Living Dangerously."

Peter Dinklage in "The Station Agent," my personal favorite.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:26 am
Hear hear, for Linda Hunt. She should have received an award for that role (Oh she did, see LW post below, I did not remember)

The Oompa-loompas in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are another memorable appearance of little people.

And, of course, how could I forget it, Time Bandits (Gilliam, 1981)!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:28 am
She won the Oscar. In fact, she garnered a bevy of worldwide awards for that role, one of the pivotal performances of that decade:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001373/awards
0 Replies

teamventure

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:23 pm
Michael Dunn!!! Dr. Miguelito Loveless in TV's The Wild Wild West, also Alexander in the Plato's Stepchildren episode of Star Trek (featuring US TV's first interracial kiss, albeit forced), "Goodnight, My Love" a TV movie with Richard Boone as a pair of 40's detectives in L.A. He also appeared in Get Smart as, who else, Mr. Big! A bunch of other TV & movie appearances.

I also miss David Rappaport of Time Bandits, who was in a brief US series The Wizard. Both died too young, Dunn of illness and Rappaport by his own hand. I would love a copy of "Goodnight, My Love" but it's not on any media. With 150+ channels it should pop up once in a while...

Team Venture
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:05 am
Time Bandits was an entertaining film starring a gaggle of midgets.
0 Replies