Key Strokes Missing - Virus, Spyware or Hardware Problem?

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 03:00 pm
If I just type normally, at my usual speed this is what my computer does. It misses capital letterss, some letters in a word, punctuation and spaces between words even thougt I am clearly hitting each key.

I usually can't even type this much without more errors. I then have to go back and add letters and spaces where they were suposed to be. These are not spelling errors.

I tried changing out kebords, thinking my old one was just old, but this one isdoing the same thing.

Could this be done by spyware that records key strokes? Or do you think its a hardware problem? Driver problem? Other?

Thanks in avance. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,328 • Replies: 5
No top replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 03:12 pm
Oh, it's not wireless and I'm on a PC with Windows XP + service pack 2. Keyboard is a Logitech model.
0 Replies

Snowlock

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:22 am
It's quite possible there is spyware / key logger that is bogging your system, but it could also be the connection to the motherboard.

If the keyboard is using the PS/2 port, try and find a USB keyboard, and vice versa...

If you're still having the problems, run adaware, spybot, HJT, and virus checks.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 02:59 pm
Sounds to me as though its either a hardware problem - as recommended, see what happens if you use a differebt connection-type keyboard (generic, software-independent PS/2 keyboards are widely available for under $10, generic USB keyboards for not much more - or better yet, just borrow one), or it might be driver-related. To check that possibility out, visit your keyboard vendor's webite, locate and download the latest drivers/software for your particular keyboard, and follow the vendor's instructions for installing/updating the software.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:18 pm
Thanks. I'll give the driver a try. Still happening and diving me crazy.

This is a new keyboard, and doing the same as the old one, so if the driver download doesn't help, I'll try a different connection.

Was concerned that it might be a spyware / keystroke stealing kindathingy.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:34 pm
squinney wrote:
Was concerned that it might be a spyware / keystroke stealing kindathingy.

All things are possible, I guess, particularly when it comes to 'puters, but that would be a new one to me, and I think it safe to say I have some familiarity with yuckware, its actions, symptoms, and control Laughing
0 Replies