Plant Based "meat" is this healthy?

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 09:57 am
Anyone familiar with these items? Many fast food places are now putting these on their menu. I just had a sample today when I went in to get a coffee. They were handing out a half breakfast sandwich with this plant based sausage. To be honest it didn't taste bad - but that was probably because it had a good spice like you expect out of a sausage.

But my question are these at all healthy or just some gimmick? I mean is this fake with by-products or chemicals or are they simply really made from actual real plants?

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 11:15 am
I can't answer your questions, sorry. But I can tell you that when someone starts producing meat-based vegetables, I'm on board.
snood

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 11:43 am
@blatham,
Meat-based vegetables. You’re surely demented, and I like the way you think.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 11:47 am
You could call a patty made of plaster of Paris meat. That don't make it so.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 11:57 am
@edgarblythe,

had an "impossible whopper" at burger king last week.

quite tasty... and they even got the texture right...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 12:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
I can't comment on how good it was until I try one.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 12:20 pm
So I know there has been positive feedback on the taste in general on the plant based products. I am more concerned about what is this actually made with? Is it plant stuff that is actually good for you, or some combo of a chemical or processed type thing.

I am thinking of things like artificial sweeteners for example - are we going to find out in a few years that there is rubber in it that will kill us for example or something cancer causing?

I tried to find the ingredients in these products but can't find it - I can find nutritional information - which overall it seems there is less sodium, fat, etc than "meat" but what is actually in it.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 02:01 pm
These are highly processed food products that merely substitute meat with non-meat ingredients some of which are derived from plants. It's junk food for the non-meat crowd.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 02:49 pm
The main flavoring ingredient in these products is heme derived from genetically modified soy plants, and genetically modified yeast. It's an iron ion which is a component of hem0eglobin as well. That's where it gets it's meaty, blood pudding- like flavor.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 03:37 pm
@Linkat,
I'll continue with eating the real stuff for the most part. It hasn't killed me yet (as far as I know).

Over the years I have consumed numerous veggie burgers. They rarely claimed to be as but satisfying as genuine beef. (I don't care for turkey burgers at all)
snood

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 05:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

had an "impossible whopper" at burger king last week.

quite tasty... and they even got the texture right...

Had one as well. Took their “taste test”, comparing a regular whopper to the impossible version. Very close. If they weren’t labeled, I don’t think I could tell them apart.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 06:09 pm
@Sturgis,
To grow/gathr the amount of plant materials available to make erzats "meat" takes more land devoted just to **** like soy and grains in huge monoculture acreage. With cows an other grazers, the land stays productive while serving up nutrition for the cattle. Its all a POV.

Ive tasted "impossible burger" and while its not discgusting, its not comparable to a hamburger patty made of 85% real beef or beef/pork blends .

People will feel all kind of virtuous eating it Isuppose, Ill pass. I like "bone-in' meats too.

I remember tofurky, what a POS that stuff was. Its like a eep fried cheese "food".

I realize thatthe religious vegans can be a real market driver . Please Just stay out of my face with all that pious crap. Weve already destroyed almost 25% of the worlds tropical forests , enough
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 06:15 pm
An opinion and an asshole. Everyone’s got one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 07:18 pm
I don't eat soy and some of the other stuff.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 08:54 pm
While something can go wrong with any source of food, I'm sure that overall these plant-based substitutes are healthy. The main concern will be whether they will taste as good as the real thing.

For me the answer will be no. I'm going to keep eating meat based meat.

I've no objection to other people making different choices for themselves.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 09:50 pm
@blatham,
Good news. The meat based vegetables has been done. (The bad news, Arby's doesn't plan to offer them publically.)

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/ext/resources/2019/7/ArbysMegetable_Lead.jpg?1563195888

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/14114-arbys-exploring-meat-based-vegetables
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2019 07:41 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I am thinking of things like artificial sweeteners for example - are we going to find out in a few years that there is rubber in it that will kill us for example or something cancer causing?

It's a bit late for that, the USA already has 250+ carcinogenic food additives banned in the EU.

You'd be better off banning those instead of stressing about what might be.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2019 03:38 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

While something can go wrong with any source of food, I'm sure that overall these plant-based substitutes are healthy. The main concern will be whether they will taste as good as the real thing.

Tastes are subjective. If you're used to eating beef/pork/chicken and someone feeds you goat/deer/rabbit, you find the flavor weird. It's the same when you are used to being vegetarian; i.e. all meats taste strong and greasy compared with meat-substitutes.

If people put an effort into avoiding meat and eat healthy meat-substitutes instead, they will eventually think they taste good, the same way they liked real meat from dead animals.

Quote:
For me the answer will be no. I'm going to keep eating meat based meat.

I've no objection to other people making different choices for themselves.

Unfortunately not everything can be left to individual responsibility. If it could, there would be no politics about abortion or drugs because everyone would just make the right choice and bad cultural habits would go away on their own, the same as slavery was supposed to before the Civil War broke out.

oralloy

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2019 03:41 pm
@livinglava,
I'm going to keep eating real meat.
livinglava

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2019 03:55 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I'm going to keep eating real meat.

You are the one accountable for the effects of your choices and actions, yet there are animals who suffer and die for them; and the effects on climate and future generations are what they are as well.

But, hey, just go on asserting your right to choose because that's your freedom of speech, is it not?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Plant Based "meat" is this healthy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 07:37:47