Plant Based "meat" is this healthy?

Banana Breath

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 06:32 pm
@Linkat,
Absolute garbage.
Here's a plant-based patty. Is this healthy? Would you feed this to your kids in a bun for lunch every day?
https://i.postimg.cc/vBQ9rqbR/maxresdefault.jpg
Answer: No, it isn't a healthy food. It's a grease-soaked fried concoction of dehydrated potatoes, miscellaneous starches and flavorings. Did you have any clue there is corn flour and "beef flavoring" in it? So people are pretty good at understanding that the McDonalds hash brown patty is junk food and not good for you, so why are they having trouble figuring out that the Burger king impossible patty is also garbage and bad for you?
https://res.cloudinary.com/matter-supply-co/image/upload/v1532553487/IF_opengraph_Twitter-500x500.jpg
It has far worse garbage in it than the McDonalds hash brown patty, including:
-GMO Soy flour
-Leghemoglobin from Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)
-Lots and lots of salt, far more than a beef burger has
-Textured Wheat Protein
-Coconut Oil (high in fat and saturated fat)
-Potato Protein
-Natural Flavors, which is a code name for Monosodium Glutamate-containing ingredients.

https://www.gourmetsleuth.com/images/default-source/articles/imp-burger-1-nutrition.jpg?sfvrsn=1
roger

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 06:56 pm
@Banana Breath,
I have seen the McD hash brown patty before cooking. They already have the golden brown color when raw.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 06:59 pm

https://i.imgur.com/k9EiXxh.jpg
blatham

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 04:52 am
@Region Philbis,
2020? Well, I guess I got ahead of the curve on this one. For hors d'oeuvres we started with Grandma's toes...
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 12:43 pm
@Banana Breath,
Banana Breath wrote:

Absolute garbage.
Here's a plant-based patty. Is this healthy? Would you feed this to your kids in a bun for lunch every day?
https://i.postimg.cc/vBQ9rqbR/maxresdefault.jpg
Answer: No, it isn't a healthy food. It's a grease-soaked fried concoction of dehydrated potatoes, miscellaneous starches and flavorings. Did you have any clue there is corn flour and "beef flavoring" in it? So people are pretty good at understanding that the McDonalds hash brown patty is junk food and not good for you, so why are they having trouble figuring out that the Burger king impossible patty is also garbage and bad for you?
https://res.cloudinary.com/matter-supply-co/image/upload/v1532553487/IF_opengraph_Twitter-500x500.jpg
It has far worse garbage in it than the McDonalds hash brown patty, including:
-GMO Soy flour
-Leghemoglobin from Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)
-Lots and lots of salt, far more than a beef burger has
-Textured Wheat Protein
-Coconut Oil (high in fat and saturated fat)
-Potato Protein
-Natural Flavors, which is a code name for Monosodium Glutamate-containing ingredients.

https://www.gourmetsleuth.com/images/default-source/articles/imp-burger-1-nutrition.jpg?sfvrsn=1

Hash browns are just potatoes, oil, and salt with no protein.

Vegetable based protein is protein, the same protein that is fed to cows and other livestock to make meat protein.

Why would you think it is healthier for a cow's stomach to make enzymes to digest protein from soy, wheat, and corn; than it is to feed those proteins to humans directly?

Animals are a superfluous intermediary step in feeding plant-based proteins to humans.

Animals waste nutrients that can be fed directly to humans.
engineer

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 01:04 pm
Read this article this morning. The comments about soy based estrogen are a bit disturbing.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 01:17 pm
@engineer,
Well that is my concern - how much processed is this?

I'd rather eat "natural" foods that have more calories and fat than something that is processed.
livinglava

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 01:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Well that is my concern - how much processed is this?

I'd rather eat "natural" foods that have more calories and fat than something that is processed.

Do you think that meat and meat products are not processed?

Do you think that they're not given hormones and anti-biotics while alive and then the meat processed on equipment cleaned with chemicals?

When's the last time you bought your own chicken, slaughtered, and butchered it?

Fish is probably the only type of meat people catch for themselves anymore, besides hunting, and then they say that mercury levels and other water pollutants affect the fish meat.
oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2019 07:58 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
Vegetable based protein is protein, the same protein that is fed to cows and other livestock to make meat protein.
Why would you think it is healthier for a cow's stomach to make enzymes to digest protein from soy, wheat, and corn; than it is to feed those proteins to humans directly?
Animals are a superfluous intermediary step in feeding plant-based proteins to humans.
Animals waste nutrients that can be fed directly to humans.

Animals taste good.

If you are concerned about efficiency, why not graft plant genes into human DNA so that we can become plants and have chlorophyll in our skin? That way we can produce our energy directly from sunlight instead of going through the wasteful step of eating plants.

Me though, I'm going to keep ordering my Detroit-style pizza with all meat toppings.

I won't tell you what to order on your pizza though.
Banana Breath

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2019 05:44 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:

Do you think that meat and meat products are not processed?

Do you think that they're not given hormones and anti-biotics while alive and then the meat processed on equipment cleaned with chemicals?

When's the last time you bought your own chicken, slaughtered, and butchered it?

Fish is probably the only type of meat people catch for themselves anymore, besides hunting, and then they say that mercury levels and other water pollutants affect the fish meat.

I for one actually know the answers to these and can tell that you don't. I've had professional culinary school and nutrition training, and owned an organic farm for many years, including raising and butchering my own animals from chickens through steer. And I know everything they ate, and no, they didn't receive any hormones, nor other chemicals. Butchering meat is not the same as "processed meat." Look it up. Hot dogs are processed meat. The meat for those is mechanically separated, ground, mixed with fillers, preservatives, salt, sugar, nitrates, nitrites, etc. A whole chicken on the other hand has simply been gutted, de-feathered and washed.

Ignorance breeds fear, that is clear. I'd encourage that you visit an organic family farm. Throw off the shackles of ignorance and find out for yourself. An organic chicken from a family farm is far better quality and far more natural food than the strawberries and potatoes you buy at your supermarket from a factory farm that have been doused with insecticides and herbicides.
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2019 10:28 pm
@Banana Breath,
Im glad you spoke up. As a meat producer farmer , I too am kinda saddened at how the market has been fed all this crap from certain factions who believe their stories and dont know a damned thing about what they say.

I used to get into arguments here started by folks similar to LL who think they have some hook-up with facts and they dont know thy are just sounding uninformed.

We raise markt sheep and our growth records are (while not full organic) are as chemical free as can be certified. Butchers who buy our products Kosher/Halal/ as well as Standard cuts.
For our own use, we buy our chickens froma chem free (animal source free as well) who grows poultry on a real free range facility and the folks there have stock dogs to protect the flocks from coyote and fox. They dont confine the chickens and the birds are served chem/GMO free an the meat has a CHICKEN FLAVOR (unlike most Tyson or Del Marva birds that are mostly confined grown .

Weve been in this for almost 30 years and we started as standard multi purpose sheep producers and gradually changed over to support a much more sophisticated and demanding MEAT markt.(A lot of our market is still with the Corriedale wool and Alpaca cloths) If someone goes to a custom cut butcher for lamb, they usually are wise enough to know the difference in product value. In actuality, were gradually going back to the way meat was produced before the ages of refrigeration, except now we have refrigeration and can best utilize what "aging" can do for meat flavor and texture.

Linkat

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 09:37 am
@farmerman,
I agree there are a lot of the "sky is falling" type. I tend to ignore extremes on either side. And use the God giving common sense I have.

I think sometimes with the internet - there is too much information - much of it false or maybe well meaning, but ill informed.

But in the end, I do try to find what is most natural when buying and making food. What I was trying to really get out of this post was the actual ingredients for these plant based meats. I do eat less of meats just knowing that too much of it is not good for you, and my initial take on all this from the fast foods - was to try to sucker people like me - those that are moving away from eating more meat products. Maybe to entice us to fast food (which I rarely eat) to buy their products.

I tried the product and thought it tasted good (for a fast food breakfast sandwich) while getting a coffee. Typically I will go out for a coffee (not sure why it just seems to taste better than what I make at home - my only real indulgence) and then I go home and make my own egg sandwich - mainly because I know what is in it and that it is freshly prepared.

0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 10:13 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Animals taste good.

Tastes are subjective. They change as your diet changes.

Quote:
If you are concerned about efficiency, why not graft plant genes into human DNA so that we can become plants and have chlorophyll in our skin? That way we can produce our energy directly from sunlight instead of going through the wasteful step of eating plants.

That's not a viable idea and you know it. You are just implying that some waste is inevitable so it is no worse to feed plants to animals in order to eat the animals than it is to eat the plants directly.

Quote:
Me though, I'm going to keep ordering my Detroit-style pizza with all meat toppings.

I won't tell you what to order on your pizza though.

When you fail to exercise the liberty to take social responsibility, your freedom becomes someone else's burden.
livinglava

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 10:14 am
@Banana Breath,
Banana Breath wrote:

I for one actually know the answers to these and can tell that you don't. I've had professional culinary school and nutrition training, and owned an organic farm for many years, including raising and butchering my own animals from chickens through steer. And I know everything they ate, and no, they didn't receive any hormones, nor other chemicals. Butchering meat is not the same as "processed meat." Look it up. Hot dogs are processed meat. The meat for those is mechanically separated, ground, mixed with fillers, preservatives, salt, sugar, nitrates, nitrites, etc. A whole chicken on the other hand has simply been gutted, de-feathered and washed.

Ignorance breeds fear, that is clear. I'd encourage that you visit an organic family farm. Throw off the shackles of ignorance and find out for yourself. An organic chicken from a family farm is far better quality and far more natural food than the strawberries and potatoes you buy at your supermarket from a factory farm that have been doused with insecticides and herbicides.

Most meat is not raised, slaughtered, and butchered in an organic way.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 01:02 pm
@livinglava,
Ill second the statement that you, with your use of assertions , really need to lern much more than you speak.
livinglava

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 01:18 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ill second the statement that you, with your use of assertions , really need to lern much more than you speak.

You learn through discussion.

When people say what you are saying, that someone should listen/learn instead of talking/writing, it's usually because they don't like their POV and want them to shut up.

Banana Breath

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 01:38 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:

If you buy responsibly grown and butchered meat, you're part of the solution. If you don't, then you don't encourage the production of responsibly produced meats.
livinglava

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 01:55 pm
@Banana Breath,
Banana Breath wrote:

Quote:

If you buy responsibly grown and butchered meat, you're part of the solution. If you don't, then you don't encourage the production of responsibly produced meats.

Sorry, but although you are right that there are more responsible and healthy ways to raise, slaughter, butcher, and consume meat; a vegetarian diet is still more responsible and healthy.

There might be a case to make for a certain amount of dairy, but why meat? What can meat provide that humans can't get from eating the same plants that are fed to meat-animals, such as soy and wheat proteins?
Banana Breath

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 02:06 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Sorry, but although you are right that there are more responsible and healthy ways to raise, slaughter, butcher, and consume meat; a vegetarian diet is still more responsible and healthy.

There might be a case to make for a certain amount of dairy, but why meat? What can meat provide that humans can't get from eating the same plants that are fed to meat-animals, such as soy and wheat proteins?

Again, your ignorance is getting in the way. That is not meant as an insult, and if you take 3 seconds to look up the definition of "ignorance" you'll find it describes a lack of knowledge in a particular area, not stupidity.

This is a photo of the "grasslands" of Inner Mongolia that have been under drought conditions for most of the past 30+ years.
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/7/30/1375188860864/Desertification-in-China-009.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=343905a04c53036a00dc9b5b306cbc20

I invite you to move to this location and try to sustain yourself on vegetables. That will be hard to do under the persistent drought conditions. However there are tufts of grass that do manage to grow. I invite you to eat the tufts of grass, if you wish. The alternative, as practiced by the locals, is to raise sheep which are indeed able to eat the tufts of grass and turn them into meat. Mutton and sheep milk are the primary foodstuffs of the Mongolian people.

I don't raise this randomly, I have traveled to Inner Mongolia and have seen this first hand and have eaten with the Inner Mongolian peasants. Since you fairly obviously haven't, you assume that they can simply order vegetable dishes fully prepared and delivered by Uber from their local Whole Foods. But no, there's no Uber there, nor Whole Foods.
http://www.itourbeijing.com/admin/letter/upfile/129126339005000000.jpg

There are thousands of other examples that you are equally ignorant of, including the fact that YOU DON'T EAT CORN STALKS. However cows do. The chopped up cobs and stalks of corn plants would otherwise go to waste, but are good food for cows that can digest these and turn them into edible food. Let me know when you figure out how YOU can eat these and turn them directly into energy. Cows figured that out many millennia ago. It's called "Corn Silage" Look it up.
https://www.progressiveforage.com/images/stories/2011/05/24/0511fg_anderson_1_full.jpg
http://utbfc.utk.edu/Content%20Folders/Forages/Hay%20and%20Silage/Publications/sp434d.pdf

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 04:49 pm
@livinglava,
That what you say may be true of me,I really dont have the necessary patience to be more avuncular with folks who havent spent time learning about what they opine. However, I think that waiting until you have the same understanding available to farmers ad stock breeders then perhaps you should follow your closing admonition.

I find that, on the internet, folks rarely admit error and ,to maintain "big face", they try to keep an argument going with minor changes of their original point in subsequent posts so that by 4 pages later, their comments and statements have changed over 180 degrees without anything in error admitted .

The net is no place for intelligent debate really. We already have too many guys who are experts on so many things. Im two inches wide but a mild deep. Theres only about 3 or 4 things Ill argue about and farming happens to be one.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 06:52:15