I'm scared to die.. is that bad?

JLNobody

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 04:08 pm
How did Woody Allen put it? "I don't mind dying; I just don't want to be there when it happens."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 04:11 pm
JLNobody wrote:
How did Woody Allen put it? "I don't mind dying; I just don't want to be there when it happens."
One of my favorite quotes. Thanks for the reminder. Laughing
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:32 am
Before Christ's death, death was the only thing anyone had to look forward to.
When Saint Paul realized in his heart what Christ's death meant; When he realized that he, Paul, could live forever by trusting not in the law for salvation, but in God's redemptive love; When he realized that if he died, no problem, God would just raise him up again; When he realized this St. Paul shouted, "Oh death, where is thy sting, Oh grave, where is thy victory."
This realization changed his whole life and gave him strength he never had before to go forward in love and kindness unafraid to serve Christ.
If the only reward for love and kindness is death, who would do it? If the only way to heaven was by perfect obedience to the law, who would be worthy? Who is perfect? Could we have forgiveness? Could we have peace?
Trust that God has made all things right through his son Jesus Christ who died for us. You, your family, your friends, your enemies, everyone. Spread the good news. John 3:16
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:38 am
Setanta wrote:
Why Brandon, because you cling the hope of ressurection and the everlasting life in Jesus Christ, amen--without which the terrors which happen to haunt you would overwhelm your psyche? This is the deepest dive off the deep end i've yet seen you take, which is saying a great deal amid the stark terrors you love to portray as constituting life.

It's well known and oft repeated around here that I'm an atheist.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:40 am
JLNobody wrote:
Thanks, Setanta. I'm trying to enjoy a peaceful day. By carrying this load for me you make it possible. Smile

Heaven forbid someone would disagree with you and ruin your peace.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 10:51 am
Intelligent disagreement is always welcome, even relaxing. I'm sure you're capable of that on some topics.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:26 am
On W C Fields's tombstone: "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:33 am
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:06 pm
Edgar,

Go gentle into that good night
Old age should sigh and smile at close of day...

We are programmed to fear our end, but in our final hours that which once had survival value is rendered a burden. With effort we can put it down.

From one elder to another :wink:
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 02:05 pm
I've never thought that I'd be less afraid as I grow older.

When I was a kid I remember I felt a lot of angst about the future, especially the future of my family members since they're older; it was devastating, and I wanted everyone to live forever. My ideal of immortal human life was criticised however, by a girl who told me that she doesn't want to live forever. I could not believe what I heard, and I asked her why. She said that seeing her family members, friends, and other people die while she lives on would be so devastating for her that it's worse than death. Years later, another girl said that if she's afraid of something, she's afraid of living forever.... I still don't understand what she meant. Maybe I'm not mature enough Confused .

I still feel angst, so it's definitely normal to feel it. I think that the feeling is a reminder of how great life is. Live for the sake of living.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 02:51 pm
I know that I too shall succumb to the weariness that tells us to let go, but I know this is my one go around and I intend to prolong it as long as possible.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 03:59 pm
Edgar, I too hope to prolong my life as long as possible--in order to do more of the things I love to do. For that reason, I eat VERY well, exercise, meditate, etc. etc.. I DO wish I could live for another sixty years. I could do and experience SO much. My wife often anguishes that she is running out of time. She lives to appreciate philosophy (especially Nietzsche and Schopenhauer and their commentators), and there is so much she hasn't gotten to yet. I want to develop my painting and music skills (my hands are not what they used to be for the violin: that's tough).
But, you know, while I appreciate my life and, as such, would prolong it as much as possible, I also appreciate, with a religious fervor, the Universe of which I am and have always been a part. I, JLNobody, will die in a few years, but, I do feel that my true self will never end, just as it never began.
Sorry to flip out on you. Very Happy

P.S., I would advise young people to accomplish all the things they might like to do and achieve. The best solution to the "problem" of death is to have lived a full life. And don't forget to love and permit yourself to be loved.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 04:08 pm
I plan to rage until the final moment.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 04:11 pm
I hope it helps. I really do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 04:12 pm
Rage, acceptance- -it all goes to the same place.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 04:14 pm
And where is that?
If you anticipate that it goes to the maggots, then rage is appropriate.
If I anticipate that it goes to "nirvana", then appreciation is appropriate. Different behaviors for different anticipations
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:52 pm
Thanks Edgar and Dylan. I do think of death as an enemy.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:54 pm
Another double post. This is getting to be exasperating.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 04:45 am
As I give no credence to any form of personal survival beyond death, whether Nirvana, heaven, reincarnation, or whatever, I despise death.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:12 am
I think that if you were to ask all those people in favor of death to raise their hand you probably wouldn't find anyone raising their hand. Even those harried souls who feel that life isn't worth living don't want death, they usually just want an end to their misery, but they can't seem to find it.
Because people don't want death that is why many turn to Christ, because he promises everlasting life.
0 Replies