How to get into Harvard?

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:56 pm
What do you think is the best thing i can do to get into Harvard? Im involved in school alot, and have good marks. Is there anything im missing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,829 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:10 pm
Copyread with an eye to standard spelling and punctuation.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:27 pm
Lots of extra curricula activities. I know how you feel, I'm a Cambridge fanatic.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:22 pm
I have to take 3 SATII subject tests. Any tips on those?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 01:50 pm
Get involved in activities outside of school as well
(volunteering at a hospital for example).

You want to mix in some athletic and musical stuff with the academic.

It helps if you can show excellence in diverse fields, like attending a
young writers conference on one hand and scoring high in math or
science on the other.

Graduate at the top of your class (yeah, I know, easier said than done).

Work very hard on your writing. You must be able to present yourself
well through the written word.

I'm basing a lot of this on my daughter.
She was accepted at Harvard, MIT, and Brown.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 02:32 pm
Ok sounds good, thanks for the advice. Well I played in the school band for 2 years, won discus for my region, am going to the National Junior Achievement conference, and volunteer with Rotarty, and will soon be part of the youth volunteer committee in my town. Also, i have been involved in school teams ie. Debate, and politically related organizations ie. Young Liberals.

Since im outside of the U.S., im going to have to workhard to get good SAT marks though . . .
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 07:21 pm
George wrote:
She was accepted at Harvard, MIT, and Brown.

Oh my, I am so impressed. I am having difficulty even contemplating acceptance into London U.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:09 pm
Thank you, pragmatic.
I couldn't have gotten into any of those schools either.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:43 pm
Yeah, i forgot to comment. That is a list of acceptances i think everyone would be happy with. What were her SAT scores if you know?
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 01:25 pm
??
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:18 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Copyread with an eye to standard spelling and punctuation.

hahahaha

...yeah but, you can't judge someone's wisdom, by how they spell... A person could be a genious, and have no grammar skills at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:37 pm
I agree with Noddy. Punctuation, grammar, diction, and even capitalization matter to the eye of someone reviewing applications from many people who generally meet entry requirements.

I know they don't mean a person is wise or not wise; wisdom isn't a necessity for effective self-presentation.

My own punctuation, grammar, diction, etc., are flawed, but I'm not attempting to get accepted for study at Harvard. It would be worth your brushing up on, Etruscia.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:34 am
Well to be honest, im not exactly scrutinizing every sentence i write on this forum. Obviously any essay I write for harvard would be reviewed and edited many times.

Besides, i think i would rather go to UPenn(for wharton) or stay in Canada now. We have undergrad business programs that rate as good or better than many U.S. programs for less than half the price.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:42 am
Etruscia wrote:
Yeah, i forgot to comment. That is a list of acceptances i think everyone would be happy with. What were her SAT scores if you know?

Sorry, E. I just ran across this thread again and realized I never
answered your question. I couldn't remember her scores so I sent her an
email. Here is her reply:

actually, I'm not sure I remember them correctly...

I believe I got a 760 in math and 720 on verbal.

but really, SAT scores aren't very important for acceptance to good old H.

the main difference I noticed in qualified people who got accepted versus
those who got rejected was that the ones who go accepted had plenty of
good stuff going for them AND they held down a part-time job in high
school, while the others had good stuff but no job.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:07 am
Ok, thank you very much George. I had a part time job every year up to this (my final) year, i quit just because i am doing so many things this year that it would be wise to keep a job.
0 Replies

prestochango

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:47 am
Ok so i don't plan on getting into harvard or any IVY leauge school for that matter but here are the credentials i plan to have by the time i'm a senior (im a sophomore currently)

100 gradepoint average so top 5% of my class

secretary of debate 1year president of debate 2 years

Secretary for the interact club 1 year, VP 1 year and President 1year

Advisory Board member for a mission trip program that sends over 2k people on mission trips 2years

Student council 3years

National Honors Society 2.5years

And I was in the Republican Club but it kinda died out but i'll prolly find a political group to join for like 2years.

Part Time Job all 4 years and possibly working 12hrs a week on average.

This as well as service hours for mission trips and possibly voluntarying if i dont have enough hours and if i do have enough hours i might join Key club (service organization) as something else to add to my resume

And then SAT, SATII and ACT i dont know what scores i might get but i generally do well on tests so who knows.

Whats the best university you guys/gals think i can go to? Currently i want an MBA and a JD but either or would be fine and i want to go to the University of Texas in Austin but that may be to much...
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 01:55 pm
Good goals. I dont get the american school systems marking scheme . . 100 point grade average is impossible in Canada, unless you can some how get perfect on every assignment in every class you have. Which for all purposes is impossible.

My Resume: (im in Gr. 12)

JA 2 Years: VP of HR, won Outstanding Achiever of the Year and First Year Entrepreneur of the Year. Sponsored by JA to attend the Canadian Business Hall of Fame Gala Dinner, and to attend CANJAC, the most prestigious JA conference in the world. Top 150 kids from 16 countries.

Consistent Average of 87% + (i know it would be a B in the U.S. , but apparently they take into account our harder system.)

Founder of Halton Hills Young Liberals and co-President.

Captain of the Debate Team-2 years. I think i have a chance at national, or at least provincials this year.

Founder and President of DECA in my school.

School Band-Drums for 2 years.

Track adn Field 2 years - Gold Medalist in Discus.

Latin Club-1 year.

Scored in top 10% for Ontario Accounting Students Exam.

Founder of Model UN in my school. Attending SOMA and the UNA-USA Model UN conference in NEw York.

Volunteered for Rotary in many different events. 50+ hours of recorded volunteer time.

Chair of MYAC (Mayors Youth Action Committee). Many community service hours there.

Reach for the Top team - 1 year

Attended Ontario Model Parliament last year

Member of School Prefects.

DEEP enrichment course in management at the University of Toronto.

And more to come for the rest of this year . . .

Hopefully thats good enough for U Penn. If not, oh well. Our schools are jsut as good here.
0 Replies

prestochango

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:46 pm
haha people in my classes are impressed with my resume. Then i look on these boards at people like yours and am like.... thats what im competing against Razz lol
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 03:46 pm
lol, well my resume is still not even close to what the best is. I think i am set for any business program though, because of business/politics extra curriculars.
0 Replies