Life & times of Alexander (Downer)... A continuing saga.

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 06:08 am
goodfielder wrote:
I will say one thing for Alexander - he seems like a good sport.

Yes, he actually seems to be quite delighted to find himself in yet another another silly situation! Hams it up with gusto, by the looks of it. Laughing
I have the feeling this thread has potential to grow & grow!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 07:44 am
He won't live down the stockings though....staple of political cartoonists in Australia as long as he's in office :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:05 am
goodfielder wrote:
He won't live down the stockings though....staple of political cartoonists in Australia as long as he's in office :wink:

... & they're SO Alexander! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:54 am
Alexander addresses the addresses bird flu threat to Oz from Indonesia (our very sensitive neighbour) with enormous tact & incredible confidence. Very Happy :

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5061046,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:10 am
Solomon Islanders receive pearls of wisdom from an expert:

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5143671,00.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 01:17 am
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5144186,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 04:21 am
They're counting on us forgetting!

Dirty dogs! Grrrrrrr!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 01:07 am
Hey hinge!
Hello there! Very Happy

But what will our cartoonists do, minus Alexander?
This is serious!Sad

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6122897,00.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 06:40 am
msolga wrote:
Hey hinge!
Hello there! Very Happy

But what will our cartoonists do, minus Alexander?
This is serious!Sad

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6122897,00.jpg

Yeah...now you won't have poor old Alexander to push around any more.

The machinations have begun to fill his seat, and may prove interesting.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 04:55 pm
There was almost universal politeness from both sides of politics about Downer. Kev said nice things, Penny said nice things. I was starting to feel ill. I nearly choked when some Liberal Party hack said Downer had overseen a period where Australia had greatly increased its role in international affairs and international leadership - hmmm. Tampa, refugee camps in other countries, Iraq, telling the UNHRC to butt out of indig affairs, Australians in Guantanamo, sycophancy to China, ....

Thank God for Bob Brown who pointed out that Downer would most likely be remembered for being prominent in a government that lost its humanity.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 01:44 am
hingehead wrote:
There was almost universal politeness from both sides of politics about Downer. Kev said nice things, Penny said nice things. I was starting to feel ill. I nearly choked when some Liberal Party hack said Downer had overseen a period where Australia had greatly increased its role in international affairs and international leadership - hmmm. Tampa, refugee camps in other countries, Iraq, telling the UNHRC to butt out of indig affairs, Australians in Guantanamo, sycophancy to China, ....

Thank God for Bob Brown who pointed out that Downer would most likely be remembered for being prominent in a government that lost its humanity.

Yes! Yes! Yes!
Exactly.
You speak my mind, hinge!

For a buffoon, he was a very dangerous & destructive buffoon - that's what I think, in a nutshell.

It astonishes me sometimes, (no, actually it appalls me! Evil or Very Mad ), how the likes of Reith, Allstone (sp?), Vandstone, etc ... can do so much evil & harm, then blithely move on to a "foreign placement" - with a hefty tax-payer subsidized superannuation handshake! Hey, they were just following orders! Rolling Eyes

And yes, thank god for Bob Brown. Always. (My hero! Very Happy )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:20 am
msolga wrote:
hingehead wrote:

Yes! Yes! Yes!
Exactly.

You speak my mind, hinge!

For a buffoon, he was a very dangerous & destructive buffoon - that's what I think, in a nutshell.

It astonishes me sometimes, (no, actually it appalls me! Evil or Very Mad ), how the likes of Reith, Allstone (sp?), Vandstone, etc ... can do so much evil & harm, then blithely move on to a "foreign placement" - with a hefty tax-payer subsidized superannuation handshake! Hey, they were just following orders! Rolling Eyes

And yes, thank god for Bob Brown. Always. (My hero! Very Happy )

Onya Bob.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:32 am
Yep, onya Bob, Deb!

He is a living political treasure.
But I worry that retirement could be looming.
(Don't ask me why I thought that. His age? No one stays in parliament forever.The idea just popped into my head as I was admiring his little speech in support of the Tibetans & the Dalai Lama on SBS the other night. On Jenny Brockie's program. It was a very disturbing thought! Shocked )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:35 am
msolga wrote:
Yep, onya Bob, Deb!

He is a living political treasure.
But I worry that retirement could be looming.
(Don't ask me why I thought that. His age? No one stays in parliament forever.The idea just popped into my head as I was admiring his little speech in support of the Tibetans & the Dalai Lama on SBS the other night. On Jenny Brockie's program. It was a very disturbing thought! Shocked )

Hmmmmmm....he still seems very committed.

Unlike all the Libs who don't get to play with the big kids any more, and are spitting the dummy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:39 am
Yes, he does still seem very committed. The thing is, he's remained committed to pretty much the same ideals he's always been committed to .. which is pretty impressive (to me, anyway), given that just about every other politician has moved to the right, or the centre right.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:41 am
... which I suppose, makes him a dangerous radical!!!!! Laughing :wink:
0 Replies