What's your favorite documentary?

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:05 am
I get to see a lot of them as one of my friends is an amateur Doc filmmaker and collects as many as He can get his hands on and
he drags me down to Boston to see the new ones.
Here are a few of my favorites;
Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Divining Mom
Speedo
Dig!
Popaganda, The Art and Crimes of Ron English
Crumb
Gizmo
Nomi Song
Spellbound
Dead River Rough Cut
How to Draw a Bunny
Grey Gardens
Brother's Keeper
Horns and Halos
I didn't enter many of the political ones but I do watch them also.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 768 • Replies: 6
No top replies

material girl

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:15 am
There was a fabulous documentary about Julia Roberts and her trip to Mongolia where she stayed with a nomad family who lived in traditional ways.She loves horses and went to see how the horses in Mongolia hadnt changed and still look they way they did 100's of years ago.

Another documentary about Jonny Kennedy called 'The boy whose skin fell off'.
He has a condition were the skin can come easily detatched from the body with any type of abrasion, his hands looked like they had 'worn' off till they were stumps.PArts of his body had sores where ther skin was very thin, he was in constant pain thoughout his life.He recently died from cancer brought on by his condition.Its one of those documentaries that had me choking back the tears.

A few years ago I watched a docu/series which had been going since the 70's following a man who was having a sex change and followed him through his life as he adapted to life as a female .An updated versionwas shown about 6 years ago, hopefully they will show a new one soon.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:52 am
If you liked Dig!, you might like The Fearless Freaks, a documentary about the Flaming Lips. I want to see The Wild Parrots. I've heard it's great. The Fog of War is excellent. I agree tha tCrumb is great, as well. I can't think of any others right now.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:17 am
One of my favorite documentaries is "Fast, Cheap and Out of Control".

It is about the careers of four men: a lion tamer, a topiary gardener, a robotics guru and an expert on the naked mole rat.

What its really about is passion and obsession.

"Capturing the Friedmans" is another very good one about a man and his son accused of sexually abusing children.

While flawed "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" is one I enjoyed because I think the Bakkers are fascinating.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:22 am
Does Blockbuster have any of these?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:46 am
I've rented several of the movies named on this list at blockbuster, husker.

I've even seen some of them on the "new releases" area but usually you find them burried in "documentaries".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:14 pm
1983's "Koyaanisqatsi"

With just pictures and music, this is a documentary of the human circumstance and dilemma of living in our technologically advanced civilization but a world on speed and LSD. The "2001" of documentaries (well, "2001" could be a future history documentary).

It does help to have a score by Phillip Glass, no less.
0 Replies