Recomend quality films

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:55 am
Paaskynen wrote:
Hi Joe,

Now that you reminded me of it, Herr Arnes Pengar (Sir Arnes Treasure) has been released on DVD, but it says Region 1. I don't know if that means it can't be played on both sides of the pond (bloody nuisance). It is a restored copy and it costs 329 Swedish crowns, about 40 USD.

Region 1 is the US and Canada.

http://www.alkenmrs.com/codefreedvd/dvdregions.gif

Because Herr Arnes pengar has been released by Kino, it is a Region 1 release in NTSC format. Or, in other words, it probably won't work in your dvd player.

DVD regions explained
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 02:11 pm
It's considerably cheaper on Amazon than at Svenska Filminstitutet. I guess this region thing is why region fee pirate copies from Bangkok are so popular. Ridiculous restriction.
0 Replies

jerusalem

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 08:48 pm
Cool recomend quality film: OUTLAW

A good film which is base on England this days... a real story of peole who feel betrayed by their govenment and try to put the law in their hands...directed by Nick Love Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 01:03 pm
Slince you showed an interest in Kurosawa films, just get any; they're all excellent. My favorites are The Seven Samurai, Ran (King Lear), and Throne of Blood (Macbeth).

I saw Mizocuchi's Ugetsu Monogatari many years ago and never forgot it. Check out the review. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046478/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 01:25 pm
I would include "The Third Man" with Joseph Cotton and Orson Welles in your collection of the "classics."

If you're ever in Vienna on a guided tour, they usually mentiion this movie and where it was filmed. Some of the places still look the same.

I bought it after my last visit to Vienna in November 2006.
0 Replies