Elijah Cummings, RIP

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 04:35 pm
Congressman Elijah Cummings passed away today. He has been a positive force in my home State of Maryland as long as I can remember, and he will be sorely missed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 869 • Replies: 4
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 07:03 pm
I posted this elsewhere, but this thread seems a good place for it.

Michael Moore
1 hr ·
One of the great members of Congress in my lifetime passed away this morning — Elijah Cummings, Democrat of Maryland. He was a fighter for those who weren’t allowed a seat at the table. A strong, powerful voice for the voiceless. He was always willing to give of his time for me, offer his guidance, tell me what was really going on in ways few others would. When he agreed to be in my film, “Capitalism: A Love Story,” he pulled no punches about the Crash of ‘08 when Congress bailed out the banks and Wall Street but let millions of families lose their savings and be evicted from their homes. He told me it was all a ruse, a giant robbery of the American people.
“The word that we got in Congress was that if we didn’t act ‘immediately’ the ‘whole economy would collapse - no doubt about it.’ This whole fiasco shows you there’s some powerful forces (that are not democratic) that are in control here in this building — big time.” His point was that it was the top one-percent who owned the politicians and the government — and that we’d never be a true democracy until ‘we the people’ controlled the economy. Elijah Cummings was the real deal — authentic to his core, honest to a fault, and a peoples’ representative in the truest sense of the word. I am stunned and saddened by his death. He couldn’t have been taken from us at a worse time. Much love and gratitude to his family. We will all honor him best by carrying on his work with our own passion and an unrelenting commitment to real justice and equality. Rest In peace, my friend. We, though, will not, until your work - our work - is done.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 07:11 pm
He was working mightily to impeach Trump. Now he is dead. Makes me wonder remembering that the mafia's solution for persons not liked by them died.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 10:07 pm
@RABEL222,
Elijah Cummings signed subpoenas 24 hours before he died in hospice care in an effort to protect democracy. He never gave up.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 05:51 am
Honest, selfless, hard-working, classy human. I didn't know he was ill so the news hit me like it did many others.
0 Replies