Who is Attracted by Bright Shiny Objects-Men or Women?/mater

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:06 pm
Who is more easily attracted by bright shiny objects and shallow things? Men or women? Which is more materialistic? Shallow?

I mean I know the cliches about men just always thinking about shiny cars and sports and beer. On the other hand, a lot of women seem to be equally into makeup painted on their face to change their physical appearance, putting plastic in their bodies to make themselves look better, and trinkets they call jewelry.

Are men or women more attracted by bright shiny glittering objects and things that scream conspicuous consumption and status symbols and the rest?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,956 • Replies: 36
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:16 pm
You may be sensing a theme with me, but:

There is no universal. Some women are more materialistic than some men, some men are more materialistic than some women. I think the advertising industry is figuring out they can get men all het up about things they've historically gotten women het up about, and so, seeing dollar signs, are doing what they can to get 'em het up. Successfully.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:32 pm
Ditto Sozobe.

It's all part of metrosexuality - men are market targets for shiny things they didn't even know existed 10 years ago.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:57 am
Balderdash!

Has anyone seen my diamond earring stud and bottle of nair lying around?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 04:42 am
e.M.

During my long and often fruitless quest to relieve myself of the burdens of ennui without recourse to the palliatives offered by various organised institutionalised interests which are,as you might have guessed,as useless as they are expensive,I happened upon a nice little book,a gem in fact,which purported to tell the true story of Captain Bligh and his trials in your neck of the woods when he was entrusted by the British Government with the task of providing a supply of banana plants which it was hoped would satisfy the demand for a cheap foodstuff with which to feed the slaves in the region now known as the West Indies.

A section of the book dealt with the provisioning of The Bounty in England to ready it for its journey which,as you will know if you have seen the movie,
did not turn out quite as planned.

The author had studied the Admiralty records and extracted from them a detailed list of the items which were deemed to be essential for the trip in view of the fact that space and weight were at a premium.Naturally, gifts with which our valiant Captain hoped to ingratiate himself with any aboriginals he might meet in order to ensure their co-operation were included.and in quite large quantities.This particular item on the lading manifesto is quite pertinent to your enquiry.There were large quantities of spades,pick-axes and similar items a fuller list of which can be found in Roget under Agriculture sub section 'farm tool' for the men and barrel after barrel of those objects which can be elucidated from the Thesaurus under headings such as 'baubles','bangles' and 'beads' all of which owe their magnetism to the shine that has been imparted to them in the workshops in which they are manufactured.These were for the women which is hardly surprising in view of the fact that it is difficult to ingratiate one self with women with those items which come under 'farm tools' and the Admirality were officially cognisant of this from their observation of women within its own purview
and obviously projected this knowledge into those realms where it was necessary to guess.

In other words EM the riddle you pose has been clarified these 200 years or more and even a casual look around a modern shopping centre is sufficient to prove scientifically that no revision of the principles applied by the Admiralty are in any way useful.

I don't know what modern psychologists make of these matters but for my own part when I see a man sporting shiny objects on his person,or any other decorative strategies,I make sure I am within a stride or two of a good solid wall to which I can press my back in the event he makes any sudden or surprising movements.It is not the same with ladies of course.Shiny objects surrounding the person of a Lady signify,and I have found no exceptions to this rule,a propensity to look with favour on gentlemen with land or share certificates and such like and,as one descends the class hierarchy,as one is often forced to do,the simple sound of currency notes being riffled as one does with a pack of cards.

I'm sorry to have gone on at such length but I think your study is an important one and will be of great benefit to any young men reading your thread
who are starting out in life with only their Mums notions of what is right and proper to go on.
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 04:54 am
Re: Who is Attracted by Bright Shiny Objects-Men or Women?/m
extra medium

Quote:
Are men or women more attracted by bright shiny glittering objects and things that scream conspicuous consumption and status symbols and the rest?

I am a man.
I am attracted by bright shiny glittering objects, providing I find beauty in them.
I don't care about status, or consumption (conspicuous or not).

I just like beautiful "bright shiny glittering" things.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 06:51 am
spendius wrote:
e.M.

It is not the same with ladies of course.Shiny objects surrounding the person of a Lady signify,and I have found no exceptions to this rule,a propensity to look with favour on gentlemen with land or share certificates and such like and,as one descends the class hierarchy,as one is often forced to do,the simple sound of currency notes being riffled as one does with a pack of cards.

You're kidding, right?

Anyway, moving on....
EM - when you say shiny objects, are you speaking of objects of quality or just in general?

You've got trailer trash shiny and Harry Winston shiny, as well as a million levels in between.

Or, are you just talking about material things in general?

I don't care that much for things that are shiny, I like things that glow. It's a fine distinction for me - tin foil is shiny - bronze glows.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:49 am
But CT there is no comparison between the glow that bronze gives to that which gold produces.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:05 am
shiny things are fun Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:10 am
Well then why don't you make a little effort to put some shine on this thread instead of trying to render it dull.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:14 am
Since Cyracuz is a man (I think!), the statement is certainly meaningful in context.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:26 am
AAit spendius.

Yes, sozobe, I am a man. Or at least, a boy.

I think some people love their shiny things because they feel beautiful around them.

Others like them because they can see themselves in the brightly polished surfaces.

Still others get off just from owning shiny things, and it has no value to them aside from the fact that it is theirs. That is what holds all charm.

For myself, I enjoy looking at fancy cars, clothes, jewelry and any other shiny thing. But for me, as for many others, it is the art I cherish. I have no need to own it to admire it's beauty.

When it comes down to it there are probably as many reasons to like shiny things as there are eyes to see them.

But for most, the things are statements, and they matter much more than the things themselves.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:33 am
http://www.debeersgroup.com/NR/rdonlyres/93DBAEAC-7AB4-4737-BC07-1FE3574BEAE9/574/Diamonds5_thumb.jpg

huh?

http://www.debeersgroup.com/NR/rdonlyres/823DC0E3-433A-4E36-BF69-BB287C51AA4F/572/Diamonds3_thumb.jpg

what was the question again?

http://www.debeersgroup.com/NR/rdonlyres/B548F756-0A7A-4D4D-AEFA-2C253F2D9A71/571/Diamonds2_thumb.jpg

sorry.. cant see over the shiny stuff..

hehehe.

Ok, im going to make a sexist statement.
I think when it comes to shiny stuff, Soz is right. It depends on the person and not the sex... HOWEVER men's shiny stuff is more visable then womens.
Noone notices the 200$ foundation a woman is wearing , 1,000$ shoes, 5,000$ diamond.....but everyone notices the 80,000$ car a man is driving.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:35 am
That's like adobe cyr.You are getting duller and duller.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:37 am
Cyracuz wrote:
But for most, the things are statements, and they matter much more than the things themselves.

Very much agreed. (And not just as a ballast to spendius' strange antipathy.)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:40 am
I think spendius only has half his mind on the thread. He seems diverted, as if he's got something shiny to look at. Spendius, let go of your pickle!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:44 am
Shewolf wrote:
Quote:
Noone notices the 200$ foundation a woman is wearing , 1,000$ shoes, 5,000$ diamond.....but everyone notices the 80,000$ car a man is driving.

That's true. Maybe that's a key difference. A woman uses her shiny stuff to highlight her own beauty. She finds the suitable things to enhance her features, so that when you see her you don't notice the expensive wardrobe. You just see a stunning aparision.

I wish the same could be said about men. They buy classy cars, drive around, and when they walk out of them they look like grey spots on a mirror surface. You see their shiny things, and they are almost lost behind them.

In this women are much more clever than men I'd say.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:46 am
extra medium is still asleep and it isn't fair to have pages of drottle for him to wade through when he awakes.I suggest a halt to the thread at this point and then EM can assimilate what has taken place in his absence and sum up so far.Thank you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:47 am
Ha!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:50 am
Yes, definetly something shiny.
0 Replies