Happy Columbus Day 2019! What does one do to traditionally celebrate the holiday?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 01:16 am
@JGoldman10,
They must also hate the Scots for not commemorating Robert the Bruce's defeat of Edward II at Byland.

And the English aristocracy for not commemorating the Battle of Hastings.

Google is a global brand, it's a multinational company. Columbus day is American, nobody outside of America celebrates it, like nobody outside of Scotland celebrates Robert the Bruce's victory.

The truth is, Columbus Day has become very controversial of late and Google, like most businesses, tried to avoid controversy.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 01:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

They must also hate the Scots for not commemorating Robert the Bruce's defeat of Edward II at Byland.

And the English aristocracy for not commemorating the Battle of Hastings.

What does this stuff have to do with Americans?

Only American holidays I know of that were "imported" to the U.S. were Christmas, Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day.

Thank you for reminding me Google is a global brand- I forgot about that.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 02:28 am
@JGoldman10,
It's got nothing to do with America, like Columbus day has nothing to do with non Americans.

This isn't rocket science. It shouldn't be that hard to explain simple concepts to you.

Google is a global brand, Columbus Day is an American celebration. The rest of the World doesn't care about American holidays.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 05:40 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
According to the Google Doodle it's Joseph Antoine Ferdinand Plateau's 218 birthday. I don't even know who Joseph Plateau is.

Google tries to put a spotlight on individuals and events from around the world that most people may not have heard of. Basically, they are trying to encourage people to use their search engine. Plus, it is better than to make a different Doodle for the same holiday every year.

They recently had Google Doodles for Kamini Roy, Maria Firmina dos Reis, Xuân Quỳnh, and the 180th Anniversary of the First Italian Railroad Inauguration.
https://www.google.com/doodles#archive
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 11:13 am
An enormous amount of things happened on 14th October and theoretically Google could design a page based on any of them.

https://www.onthisday.com/events/october/14
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 02:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
He was a man of his time. Most European and African countries of that time endorsed and engaged in slavery. Washington had slaves, are we going to pull down his statues? And don't accuse me of upholding his reputation. He was an asshole like most of the powerful of that time.
Jewels Vern

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 02:36 am
@JGoldman10,
"What does one do to traditionally celebrate the holiday?"

Wait for banks to reopen.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 04:33 am
@RABEL222,
A lot of American presidents owned slaves and/or advocated slavery. Doesn't mean it was right. What's the point you're trying to make?

Columbus is no hero if he advocated killing Native Americans and making slaves out of them.

There are only about 5 million Native Americans vs. almost 50 million African Americans. What does that tell you?

African American slavery was an ugly chapter in American history. Some African Americans fought in the American Revolution art War. Some helped built the White House but no one talks about that.

Are you forgetting Black Africans owned White European slaves? Look up "Barberry Coast Slave Trade".
izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 04:44 am
@JGoldman10,
Some fought for freedom.

Quote:
In 1775, Lord Dunmore, Royal Governor of Virginia, issued a proclamation offering freedom to all slaves of revolutionaries who were willing to join him under arms against the rebels in the American Revolutionary War. Five hundred Virginia slaves promptly abandoned their Revolutionary masters and joined Dunmore's ranks. The governor formed them into the Ethiopian Regiment, also known as Lord Dunmore's Ethiopian Regiment.

During the war, tens of thousands of slaves escaped, having a substantial economic effect on the American South. An estimated 25,000 slaves escaped in South Carolina; 30,000 in Virginia, and almost one-quarter of the slave population in Georgia. Slaves also escaped in New England and New York, often joining the British forces occupying New York for freedom. While thousands went to the British lines for freedom (and the British evacuated nearly 4,000 Black Loyalists to Nova Scotia and other colonies after the war), others took advantage of the wartime confusion to migrate to other areas of the colonies.

Lord Dunmore's Ethiopian Regiment, composed of escaped slaves, was probably the first black regiment in the service of the Crown during the revolution. By December 1775 the regiment had nearly 300 black people, including its most famous member, an escaped slave called Titus, then known as Tye. In later years, he became known as Colonel Tye as an honorary title for his military skills. Private Tye and his comrades believed that they were fighting not just for their own individual freedom but for the freedom of enslaved black people in North America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Regiment
0 Replies