But will it still be a sin?

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:16 pm
Voters in Italy will be going to the polls today and tomorrow to reverse an Italian law forbidding artificial insemination. The pope still says it's a sin so will the people support the position of the church or will the people allow fertility problemed women to seek other than traditional screwing to have the families they desire? In some ways I suppose this is the result of the advent of secularism on modern life in that science and medicine advance past the confines of faith. Is this the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it, or, will the faithful return us to the days of yesteryear where women knew their place and stayed in the kitchen/bedroon?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,973 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 09:33 pm
Wow.

And that's all the time I'll give that post.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 09:37 pm
I'm following this one as well, Dys...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 09:45 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/11/international/europe/11vatican.html?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 01:36 am
Funny, I thought Italy was a democratic nation, yet here we see who really has the power. Turns out the whole "voting" thing is merely a formality. No one wants to mess with the Pope.

"Stripped of ethical rationalizations and philosophical pretensions, a crime is anything that a group in power chooses to prohibit." -Freda Adler
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 02:01 pm
I hate the pope/the Catholic Church so much, sometimes.

I'm getting really tired of the increasing encroachment of religion on our lives. I don't have anything against religion (I think it's incorrect, but I still think people should be able to do what they like), but when religion tries to make everyone conform to their views, it really infuriates me, especially in a democratic nation like Italy...or the U.S.

It's like the church will just keep attacking scientific achievements until we crack and give in to them. Then they'll use that foothold to destroy the rest. I can understand, and even sympathize with, their view on abortion, even though I think their attempts at controlling others' practices are wrong-headed, but I can't understand their problem with artificial insemination.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 02:26 pm
Re: But will it still be a sin?
dyslexia wrote:
, will the faithful return us to the days of yesteryear where women knew their place and stayed in the kitchen/bedroon?

The were also supposed to be pregnant (be fertile and multiply) so isn't there a bit of conflict here?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 02:28 pm
What happened to barefoot?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 02:29 pm
all god's chilun gots shoes.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 02:30 pm
ossobuco wrote:
What happened to barefoot?

That's optional, Italian shoe industry and all you know.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:48 am
An attempt to loosen tight restrictions on in vitro fertilization in Italy failed when only 26% of the electorate turned out to vote in a referendum on 12 and 13 June, missing a required 50% quorum.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:52 am
Its not artificial if you swallow.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:55 am
squinney is a bright and independent woman, smarter than I ,but she still bakes a mean cookie and her feet fit right under the sink. I've got the best of both worlds in my cave.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:03 am
The Bible instructs us on what to do in situations where the woman's womb is a rocky place where the man's seed can find no purchase: he must know her handmaiden so that she may bear a child unto them.

Not sure what's to be done when the dude is shooting blanks, though. Presumably the missus is to copulate with the poolboy, though scriptures do not state this outright.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:09 am
patiodog wrote:

Not sure what's to be done when the dude is shooting blanks, though. Presumably the missus is to copulate with the poolboy, though scriptures do not state this outright.

Oh yes they do !

Psalms 32:10
If thoust husband is fruitless, go forth and procreate
God comandeth thy woman to bare seed of men.
Find men, bare them and please God.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:17 am
I stand corrected. And it couldn't be more clearly stated than that.
0 Replies

4mrEd

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:00 pm
Quote:
an Italian law forbidding artificial insemination

Perhaps it reeks of Mengele to them.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 10:46 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
patiodog wrote:

Oh yes they do !

Psalms 32:10
If thoust husband is fruitless, go forth and procreate
God comandeth thy woman to bare seed of men.
Find men, bare them and please God.
What bible? My guess is you didn't look this up for yourself. You just repeated someone else's vacuous drivel.

I have no objection with those who don't believe the bible so long as they understand what they say they are rejecting.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:23 am
patiodog wrote:

Not the poolboy, she must hire herself out as the housekeeper to a prince:

Quote:
with the princes of his people He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD. - Psalm 113

Since we have no royalty, presumably American women could "keep house" with politicians.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 06:37 am
Neologist, shewolfnm has been known to bare her wit as well as men on more than one occasion. :wink:
0 Replies