THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:01 pm
S'OK, not your fault . . . is the Sozlet as excited as Mom?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:02 pm
We're supposed to get the storms tonight.
Better get them over with by morning, before the Canada Day Parade.

Don't rain on my parade!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:04 pm
Heh, my sister sent me a mail the other day .. my two-year-old nephew's room is at the back, facing out to their little garden (and the little gardens of the neighbours). Just recently, there was a big thunderstorm... so at half past six, little J was standing in their bedroom, having scuffled there in his little sleeping bag, with wide eyes. Gesturing with his arms wide, not scared but deeply impressed: 'papa, mama, gardn, boomboomboom', and that about ten times.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:17 pm
Well, i guess we're getting the remnants of Dennis right now, and the forecast has possible t-storms through the beginning of next week. Seems my luck is poor this year, though--i can hear the constant rumble, but they don't pass overhead . . . oh well . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 01:41 pm
WHOA DOGGIES ! ! !

We got the real McCoy today . . . CRASH, BOOM, BANG ! ! !

We also have torrential rains--this is definitely a hurricane hangover . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 01:51 pm
Coming our way!! Getting reeaaaaaaaaal dark...

Oooh!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 02:07 pm
<jealous>

all these storms seem to run outta gas by the time they get up heeyuh...
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 03:17 pm
sozobe wrote:
Coming our way!! Getting reeaaaaaaaaal dark...

Oooh!

They are bouncing around Findlay too, Soz. Not alot of mercy inside the boomers, either.

The last one rolled in fast. I was cleaning the basement and by the time I got upstairs to shut doors and windows, it was already in full swing. When I went to shut the back door, it was just a wall of water coming off my roof. The downspouts weren't able to even come close to keeping up with it. Had 1.5 inches of rain in my rain gauge in a 20 minute span.

Went to shut a window in the bathroom and just as I grabbed it a thunder clap and a bolt of lightening came down. I could feel the floor rumble under my feet.

Unlike you storm lovers......I hauled ass. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 03:21 pm
Oy! Listening to the weather report. Heavy thunderstorms this evening. If all of a sudden, I disappear from A2K, you will know that the thunder boomers have arrived!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 06:21 pm
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
Went to shut a window in the bathroom and just as I grabbed it a thunder clap and a bolt of lightening came down. I could feel the floor rumble under my feet.

Aw man, some people have all the luck . . . the rain came down here faster than the downspouts could handle it, too . . . hope that's good for the farmers, and doesn't hurt their crops . . .
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 06:41 pm
I've seen lightening during snowstorms and I always think that's pretty cool!
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 07:38 pm
Setanta wrote:

Aw man, some people have all the luck . . . the rain came down here faster than the downspouts could handle it, too . . . hope that's good for the farmers, and doesn't hurt their crops . . .

Dad's corn has been pretty stressed from the heat and dry weather. Alot of leaf rolling. It started doing that about 2 weeks ago. Not sure how much you know about farming .....but corn will do that as a defense mechanism. It just shuts itself down in order to save moisture. Bad thing is.....when it does that, it stops growing too.

Anyhow, I talked to him a lil while ago, to see if he got some good rain too and he said he's gotten 3 inches so far today. I'm up to 3 3/4 here.

All in all.....the rain should be great for the crops!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 09:39 pm
I didn't know if it were punishing--plants like soy beans can get hurt if it comes down too hard. Additionally, most farmers practice clean row cultivation with soy beans, so erosion can be bad, and really heavy rains can undermine the plants. That's usually not a problem with corn. I'm glad to hear that the corn will do well from this, though. Most people don't appreciate how important farmers are to us all. (Which is why i brought it up.)
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:23 pm
Depends alot on what type of soil the soybeans are planted in. My Dad's is pretty loamy. It can hold quite a bit of water. Of course if he got the same pounding I got .....there's always the threat of compaction or crusting.

Which wouldn't be good. Confused

<<<<<< Definitely appreciates farmers. Thank you for bringing that up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:27 pm
I appreciate farmers too, and worry about the battering. Do beans of all sorts do better than - well, sure, spinach?
anyway, wishing for non-destruction.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 01:15 am
Osso, many farmers practice a soy-culture in which they use herbicides to keep the rows "clean," which is to say, free of competing grasses and weeds. Johnson grass is a problem in the midwest, and it can quickly outgrow the bean plants and cut off their sun. But this also means that the erosion problem is magnified, especially run-off erosion (not so much wind erosion). The Illinois River, which is wide, deep and slow, is dying in an ecological sense from the heavy silt run-off from soy bean farming.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 01:28 am
Oh. And the alternative is? labor... to hoe the rows? mulch? I'm mostly ignorant on the logistics. If soil is maleable hoeing is not all that hard - per square foot, if hard over all. If it is brick like then it is hellish. WHAP! THWOP! Do the legumes make it break up more easily?
Is soy a legume?

What is native there, before all the farming?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 01:51 am
There really isn't an alternative, unless, of course, you can get the vegans and the Asians to stop eating tofu--good luck. It is not practical to even consider clean-row cropping with human labor, and the volume of soy bean production necessary to meet demand means it is a major industry, world-wide.

What you mean by "what is native there" is rather unclear. If you mean the midwest, certain portions were prairie, and certain others were forest. When the aboriginals lived in the forests, the land was what is known as sylvan park land. Generations of their primitive agricultural methods kept tree size and density low, because they would band trees to kill them, then burn off the underbrush, and farm around the village until the soil grew exhausted, them move on. It was similar to the European primitive farming method known as swidden farming. Early French explorers, such as Hennepin, Marquette and Joliet describe vast prairies filled with bison and elk, and sylvan park land (although they did not, of course, use that expression) with an abundance of game. Peoria means "place of the fat beasts" and the Illinois valley was rich in game and a good farming region for the aboriginals.

On the lower Illinois, near its juncture with the Mississippi, a great city once existed, estimated to have had a population of 20,000 in the 11th and 12th centuries. This was Cahokia . . .

http://www.meredith.edu/nativeam/cahokia_2.jpg

An artist's rendition of the ancient city.

http://www.hp.uab.edu/image_archive/up/mound02.jpg

The Cahokia mounds today.

Such a population concentration was only possible because of the abundant fish and game, and the agricultural possibilities. It was the largest city north of Mexico in pre-Columbian times.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 01:58 am
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Images/Chicago/chappell118.gif

Another artist's rendition showing the lay-out of the city.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:14 am
What you described is what I meant.. about the ground cover being native prairie grasses. I suppose they grow tall too, even if they could be established without Johnson grass invading (I take it that Johnson grass is an invasive exotic.)

What a problem! I suppose it doesn't make sense to put retaining walls around acres and acres. Or mulch acres and acres.

I must have heard of Cahokia when I was a child back near Chicago - the name sounds familiar. But I'm sure I didn't know anything about it. Very interesting. Those mounds look a little like Tikal...
0 Replies