THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:19 am
Johnson grass was brought to North America (it is originally a Mediterranean species) at the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries. It was brought as a fooder crop (mature plants can reach eight feet in height), but was soon determined to have little nutritional value. By then, though, it was well-established in the new world. I believe it is now to be found right across the globe. It is a serious problem for farmers.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:01 am
Set
Set, in Albuquerque we had brilliant lightning and thunder last night but, if there was any rain, it didn't fall in my neighborhood.

However, we may get some rain from hurricane Emily by Tuesday or Wednesday:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT05/refresh/AL0505W5+gif/093302W_sm.gif

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:24 am
Ooooo . . . that's not lookin' good for Vera Cruz . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:29 am
Was at a resort in Playa del Carmen a couple of months ago that had already lost almost all of its beach to a hurricane a couple of years ago. With an 18 foot storm surge, this storm could signal the death knell of the place. (I've no pity for the investors in the place, but feel very badly for the staff...)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:44 am
We were at dinner last Saturday when a sudden squall, and I mean sudden -one minute there was sunshine, the next the folk out on the veranda were racing for the door carrying their smothered veal chops- burst out of nowhere and sailed across the George Washington in the Heights. Seconds later it was gone.

And left this behind:

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/4396/rainbow26lx.th.jpg

That's Washington Heights New York all aglow in the raindbow. The GW Bridge is just out of the shot on the left.

Joe(ka-blamm)Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 03:59 pm
Quote:
Most people don't appreciate how important farmers are to us all. (Which is why i brought it up.)

where's this guy to take his bow? Arrow http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/3455296013fe505e577a20.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 04:00 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
. . . where's this guy to take his bow? Arrow http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/3455296013fe505e577a20.jpg

The Bay of Fundy, if i'm not mistaken . . .
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:30 pm
Monsoon
The monsoon season has finally arrived in Albuquerque, about three weeks late. Heavy rain, thunder and lightning about 7 pm. Lasted about one-half hour.

And I wantered the back yard this morning.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:04 pm
Taking note...

And we are finally in dry dry dry season here in the wet north north.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:08 pm
This is crazy.

Set, already passed you, right?

Weather service is saying something about 60-mile-an-hour winds... what's up with that??
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:13 pm
Wow, that looks like quite the storm!

http://image.weather.com/web/radar/us_ind_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:00 pm
Oh, that image stays more or less live. Cool!

20-degree drop in temp!

That mass near the "C" has me a bit worried, tho...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:02 pm
(if u squint your eyes just right, u can see soz' house...)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:02 pm
It's been rumble-grumblin' here to the west of Soz, but no real drama . . . i keep missin' the big ones this summer . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:05 pm
Just saw your post about the winds . . . they were extraordinarily high here, but most of it has passed me by. The heavy storms shown in Mac's doppler pic have just passed me by (4:00 pm local).
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:06 pm
We got some good ones coming tonight, supposedly. No tornado watches or warnings for Dane County yet this year. We'd already had three or four by this time last year...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:08 pm
Evidently it was a "derecho". Cool.

Quote:
A widespread line of intense severe thunderstorms that can produce significant damage to property and pose a serious threat life, primarily by downburst winds. To be classified as a derecho, the path length of the storm has to be at least 280 miles long. Widths may vary from 50-300 miles. A derecho event is a type of MCS.

More on it at the Weather Channel, but I don't have the right plug-in.

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/index.html?clip=2548&collection=topstory&from=wxcenter_video

What was weird is that it came out of NOWHERE. Forecast for today was sunny, a few clouds. Still had that on my screen when I noticed it was getting freaky outside and checked the weather -- they hadn't updated the forecast, but had this 60-mile-an-hour wind thing. Then they finally updated -- "Strong storms" and a thundercloud. No duh.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:16 pm
I just lost a long post when the damned site locked up . . .

I'm constantly hearing thunder, but nothing overhead, and it is beginning to clear to the west. I can see trees being whipped around by the wind to the east. It does appear, though, that the line of storms has passed to the east of me.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:28 pm
I cannot deal with the lightning but the thunder is fairly easy to contend with. In my case I am sure some of it goes back to that episode of Radio Mystery Theater in which a person knew he was going to die but if I recall it correctly he had no idea when it would happen and then he felt every hair on his body and on top of his head stand on end and he knew his end was about to strike in the form of an electrical bolt and sure enough he got hit. Add to this the matter of metal. I have metal in my body as a result of various incidents so I am an even better conductor with the old lightning. I guess only time will tell if that will be my way of exiting from this life and moving on to the next.

So, in finality, I despise, detest, loathe the sparks of death shooting from the clouds but am moderately okay with the thunder (unless it's really close and everything trembles from it, but even that is workable). I guess I can't say I truly love or hate thunderstorms; yet, there is no way I can honestly say I'm indifferent to them, so I voted for the Walmar quality choice, hoping beyond hope that you meant Walmar t .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:35 pm
Good choice on your vote, and you are correct, i made a typo, and had not realized it. I'll go fix that.
0 Replies