THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

coluber2001

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 03:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Shell shock is the term that emerged from World War 1 referring to soldiers that had PTSD from long-term exposure to bursting artillery shells. It was called battle fatigue in World War II and now is referred to as PTSD.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 05:43 pm
'At a bachelor party, when someone alleged that a local infidel had been slain by a wrathful god, Shaw proposed to demonstrate “the absurdity of the belief in violent interferences with the order of nature by a short-tempered and thin-skinned supernatural deity.” Pulling out his watch, he announced he would dare the Almighty to strike him dead within five minutes. “The effect,” he later recounted, “was electrical. Neither skeptics nor devotees were prepared to abide the result of the experiment. In vain did I urge the pious to trust in the accuracy of their deity’s aim with a thunderbolt, and the justice of his discrimination between the innocent and the guilty. In vain did I appeal to the sceptics to accept the logical outcome of their scepticism. It soon appeared that when thunderbolts were in question there were no sceptics.” The host, fearing the impious challenge would precipitate a stampede of guests, forbade the experiment.'
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:24 pm
@coluber2001,
a similar tale was told about benjamin franklin demanding some voltage from the sky while at a colloquium of the members of the
Philadelphia philosophical society. he was surprised that he drew some bets on an outcome.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 11:52 am
@Setanta,
There's little that humbles one as the roar of a storm.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:54 pm
@mark noble,
youve never been in the open ocean?
mark noble

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
No.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 04:13 pm
@mark noble,
There's where we be respectful.
mark noble

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 01:54 am
@farmerman,
I'm regularly in the wilderness of Wales, and have been caught out in/by extreme weather, on occasion.
Nearly froze to death at high altitude.

I certainly understand nature's humbling processes - And cherish the witnessings thereof.
Nothing like a hot shower after a week in the wilds:)

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 02:11 pm
There must be a delay of least 1/10 second from the lightning flash to the thunder for the human ear to perceive the interval.
Sound travels 34.3 m (112.5 feet) in 1/10 second. This is in dry air at 20 degrees C. So if the lightning flash and thunder are simultaneous, you are within 112.5. feet of the strike.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 02:33 pm
I checked tomorrow's forecast. Thunderstorms predicted with a possibility of .02 inches of rain. Does this make any sense?
coluber2001

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 03:51 pm
@roger,
That's some pretty precise weather forecasting. In Dallas we have a lot of scattered storms. They forecast the percentage possibility of getting rain. If the rain forecast is under 50% most likely you won't get any rain at all, but you never know. If the forecast is 70% or more possibility of rain, then you figure you'll probably get some rain.

Often, the storms are very small and localized. Many times you can hear thunder and never get any rain at all in your area.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 06:12 pm
It takes 5 seconds for sound to travel 1 mile, so if you hear the thunder one second after the lightning you're about one fifth of a mile away. That's pretty close by itself. Any quicker than that and it starts to get terrifying. If there is no interval between the lightning and thunder, you're in trouble.
roger

Reply Sun 20 May, 2018 06:45 pm
@coluber2001,
Yeah, but that close, you might not even hear it.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 21 May, 2018 01:17 am
@roger,
made me laugh
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 02:55 pm
https://youtu.be/KrmhSYway6g
Close lightning strikes in slow motion and anvil crawler lightening.
by Pecos Hank
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2018 03:27 am
Scary close lightning strike compilations. Includes a man fishing on a boat who is apparently struck by lightning with no harm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSXr0e7WA0
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2021 06:10 pm
@coluber2001,
we are getting NAILED by a early evening t torm. Heavy winds, a coupl of teny tornadoes and siday rain from an OD sky. spooky as hell. it went from 94 to 68 in half an hour
glitterbag

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2021 01:08 am
@farmerman,
Where are you headed? We had a big storm skirt Annapolis and head over the Chesapeake Bay. I stopped checking once it moved out. Time was around 5 P.M EST and wobbled back and forth till after 7 P.M.

Whoops, just noticed the time difference between your post and mine. Must have been different storm.
farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2021 04:39 am
@glitterbag,
had our storms around 8 pm (here in Lancaster County)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2021 04:47 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

we are getting NAILED by a early evening t torm. Heavy winds, a coupl of teny tornadoes and siday rain from an OD sky. spooky as hell. it went from 94 to 68 in half an hour

We had a cell over us in central NJ at about 6:30 that lasted no more than 20 - 39 minutes. It came from the south west (from your way) and hammered us with winds that damn near bent large oaks. I still haven't checked the far backyard yet this morning, but I am sure there are branches down.

No twisters...but huge winds. Rain was hard, but ended quickly.
0 Replies