THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 08:04 pm
Quote:
Time-Lapse Footage of a Supercell Thunderstorm

A group of stormchasers captured some beautiful and terrifying footage
of a supercell thunderstorm developing over Wyoming this weekend.

As far as thunderstorms go, supercells are the least common, but they're
responsible for most of the violent tornadoes in the U.S. In addition to
extreme winds, they also dump torrential rain and hailstones that are
bigger than golf balls -- causing flash floods and a whole lot of damage.
Their rising, spinning vortices of air -- rotating updrafts called esocyclones
-- can reach speeds of over 100 miles an hour (about 160 km/h) and
sometimes last hours.

The Basehunters out of Norman, Oklahoma, created this epic time-lapse
video from Wright to Newcastle in the northwestern part of Wyoming on Sunday.
(iflscience)

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:04 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10386362_10154331944975511_8888153075492664048_n.png

The monsoons are afoot! Beautiful lightning show and thunder boomers along with an inch of rain in under an hour. Nature gave us a great fireworks display with some lightning strikes in the hills.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/1559775_10204558290627728_6611978062495549885_n.jpg
roger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
We got nothing. Nothing! Excluding nasty little sprinkles that last long enough to make a mudscape of the windshields, I don't believe we've had a rain since March, and it was kind of puny.

Except for my neighbor's water flower bed, it's even been too dry for the goatheads to sprout.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:09 pm
@roger,
Just one more reason for you to move to ABQ, Rog!
roger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Rainfall aside, I think our mighty San Juan River is quite a bit more reliable than your wildly misnamed Rio Grand.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:13 pm
@roger,
The Rio is actually looking like a river this year rather than the dry creek bed of last year.
roger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Actually got some wet spots, huh? Well, I have to concede the Rio Grand is largely underground. Water enters that sand and gravel bed like water running through a sieve.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:22 am
@roger,
Fierce storms last night. We were without power until this morning.
Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:51 am
@farmerman,
Say thanks to Arthur
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:48 pm
@roger,
Oh, what I would do for a spell of warm, dry weather. It is no fun when you go for a walk, and come home dripping wet.

Whatever was I thinking of when I was dying to move to Florida??? Rolling Eyes
roger

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:52 pm
@Phoenix32890,
You would be surprised how much land is still left in New Mexico.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:19 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I think based on your ZIP Code, you're up by Orlando. That is a whole different weather zone than we have. You've got more big T-storms and some more weather extremes than we do here.

FWIW, in Sarasota...though, not that far away...but perhaps closer to the modifying effects of the coast, we've had, hot...definitely not-too-much rain but rather high dew points, and some light shows at night but lightning nightly at a distance, 50% of the time. FLA is the lightning capital, fo sho!

I do my early in the day walks and have had good success. Our rain happens from 3pm to 8pm ... moistly.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:38 pm
@Ragman,
I spent lotsa time in the phosphate mines an I learned to really HATE Florida weather. T storms of like 6" in a hlf hour so that you couldn't even see. Flood and sqampy air. I hated August and September, that's when there was no hot winds.
The wprst spot was SEBRING and the little pothole hills and sinkhole lakes. Bleccchh.

Youll never have to worry about u polluting that state. (Although WInter Park isn't too bad)
roger

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:34 pm
@Ragman,
She's not around Orlando.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:37 pm
My internet provider had an outage from Some Time in the Night Time to sometime while I was out with Diane. I think it was our asian lunch that woke the internet back up as it was going when I got home. My houselet didn't get much rain, but other places nearby did, as Butrflynet said and Diane just concurred.

Edit to say, hi, Phoe.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
I once decided (foolishly) to fly through an innocent-looking and somewhat isolated developing thunderstorm at about 15 thousand feet over the Florida panhandle, just East of Pensacola in an early model A-4 (a small single seat delta wing aircraft). A after about 40 seconds of violent turbulence accompanied by the sound of grinding ice pellets hitting the aircraft I emerged, shaken but intact, However all the paint on the first 5 feet of the wings was gone - with the shiny aluminum instead of paint it looked like an Air Force aircraft.

I had a bit of trouble explaining my decision to a very irritated Squadron maintenance officer. I can still recall his reef face, pointing finger and anger ... "Tell me again Lieutenant just what the **** lead you to think that was a good idea..."

You're right Florida does present some unusual extremes of weather and its side effects. In my experience, the worst thunderstorms occur over the panhandle, and south, between Orlando and Lake Okeechobee. That lake is about 30 miles in diameter , but only about 30 feet deep at its center - a giant shallow saucer, capable of being stirred up to serious violence by a summer thunderstorm. My company was doing an experimental dredging project there to see if we could significantly decrease the load of suspended nutrients in the lake (the water is black and opaque with them) at reasonable cost. I was inspecting the operation one day when a thunderstorm emerged over the lake. Very quickly we were immersed in chaotic 12 foot swells and damn near lost the dredging rig and the people on it.

Later that evening, and after a few drinks in a bar in Jupiter, I decided to cancel the operation as not worth the risk.
Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:48 pm
@farmerman,
Fairly different climate (less extreme) here in North Sarasota. The micro-climate and the seabreeeze here really makes the difference. Lots of storms zip right through or are held off due to the breezes pushing the storms inland. We got our fair share, though. 4 years and counting.

I will say, though that my going out in the sweltering heat from 9am to 6 pm from around June 15 to Oct-15 is not my idea of heaven. Of course at age 64 yrs with my various serious health issues, I don't tolerate extreme heat and humidity so well.
Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:54 pm
@roger,
I have a leaky memory. I know in the past she told me where. She's closer to here ... like Lakeland or around northeast of Tampa..or sump'in like that.
0 Replies

georgeob1

@Ragman,
From the air one can see the Thunderstorms developing a few miles inland, fed by moisture-laden onshore winds and ignited by reflected solar heat from the land. Those are precisely the conditions that make the panhandle and South Florida storms so fast-developing and violent.

We have two seasons here in California ... hill fires and mud slides.
Region Philbis

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10426634_10152533180533258_4380456018731024407_n.jpg

damage in medford (meffah) from a pre-Arthur (Ottah) thunderstorm last night...