THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:56 pm
@georgeob1,
yeah..5 miles can make quite a difference. From where I am, there's even some favorable wind currents that help us out, too. I am not a fan of the Panhandle area.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:57 pm
@Region Philbis,
My home town is Meffah. I could tell you just about where that is if I knew the street name. Is that near George Street or near the Medford Hillside nr Tufts Univ?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:04 pm
@Ragman,

dunno -- it doesn't say...
Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
That's quite the picture. If my eyes don't deceive me, that's an oak tree, it could be over 100 yrs old.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:12 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
However all the paint on the first 5 feet of the wings was gone - with the shiny aluminum instead of paint it looked like an Air Force aircraft.

Sounds like a description of the roof and trunk of my car. The windy dust storms here have really done a number on it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
did they lose cable?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:20 pm
@georgeob1,
Hill fire season and mud slide season seem to be attempting to coalesce recently.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:24 pm
@georgeob1,
weather radar on corp jets was allways purple for badass storms.
I remember sitting up fron and watching for purple and white blobs.

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:36 pm
@farmerman,
That's a display option based on moisture density - a good, but not completely reliable measure.

A-4s didn't have radar (except for a focused rangefinder in the gunsight): just a compass, airspeed indicator & altimeter ... and my dumb-ass brain.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 05:55 pm
@georgeob1,
wish my tractor was interactive with the weather chnnel nd would lock up and not allow me to cut hay with a small window for frying in between storms. I lucked out on this set of storms. e got about 5 cm of rain last night and so I cut my second cutting of alfalfa today before any serious relaxation.

Ill bale it on Sun an then we will go to the Del beach, hope with I have.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:43 am
@georgeob1,
I have read, although i cannot vouch for the accuracy, that Florida gets more thunderstorms and more lightning strikes than any other comparably-sized area on the planet. I'll go see what i can find . . .

This is from PBS:

Quote:
Lightning Alley
An area in central Florida, midway between the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, which sees the formation of countless thunderstorms during the summer months, and is prime lightning territory. It receives more than 12 lightning strikes per square kilometer, per year, the highest level of lightning activity in the United States.

A Natinoal Weather Service page said that the high occurance of lightning and thumderstorms in central Florida results from its position mid-way between the Gulf and the Atlantic, and from the Gulf Stream swinging inshore there.
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 04:45 am
@Setanta,
It is true. FLA is called the lightning capital. The NHL Hockey team is named the Lightning for a reason.

I'm about 150 miles away and I see lightning every night ...at this time of the year.
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 10:30 am
@Ragman,
Oops...correction - I didn't see that. Not most on earth. Just most in the USA.

(Peeking out my window.. We're good for a few hours. Should get some daily boomers around 6 pm)

1523 Deaths and Injuries.
"Florida was known as the "Lightning Capital of the World" (NASA recently released a study that pegged Rwanda, Africa as the true lightning capital of the world.) With more deaths and injuries than all other states combined, Florida ranks as the #1 target for public safety and lightning awareness campaigns."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:06 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I have read, although i cannot vouch for the accuracy, that Florida gets more thunderstorms and more lightning strikes than any other comparably-sized area on the planet. I'll go see what i can find . . .

This is from PBS:

Quote:
Lightning Alley
An area in central Florida, midway between the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, which sees the formation of countless thunderstorms during the summer months, and is prime lightning territory. It receives more than 12 lightning strikes per square kilometer, per year, the highest level of lightning activity in the United States.

A Natinoal Weather Service page said that the high occurance of lightning and thumderstorms in central Florida results from its position mid-way between the Gulf and the Atlantic, and from the Gulf Stream swinging inshore there.

I don't know the stats either, but I suspect you are right. I believe the geographical feature that makes the frequency of thunder boomers so high in Florida is that wind flows, from virtually any direction, bring moisture-laden air over the Florida forests and grasslands - the perfect conditions for solar heating-induced convective build up of these storms.

The rising water vapor cools 2-3 deg F per 1000 ft of convective rise due to decreasing air pressure, quickly reaching saturation (100% relative humidity). Condensation follows, and, because condensing water releases 1000 times the thermal energy required to raise its temperature 1 deg F, it quickly accelerates the expansion and velocity of the rising congestion current - a self-reinforcing feedback loop that ends only when the vaporized moisture is exhausted (often as high as 25,000 ft.

From a flying perspective isolated thunderstorms are generally avoidable (unless one is stupid). The scariest ones occur in fast-moving warm fronts, often over the great plains, These are imbedded in larger weather systems and hard to pick out from surrounding clouds. Most commercial flights are now well above the cloud tops, but perhaps some geezers here can recall long flights in propeller driven aircraft through storm systems : one could never tell when/if he would venture into a boomer hidden by surrounding clouds.

In any event the energy in these systems is truly formidable, and they develop quickly.

I have my own theory about the loss of the Air France aircraft over the South Atlantic enroute from Brasil to Europe. High altitude T storms are rare over the ocean , except in equatorial areas dominated by the trade winds. There they can grow very high. I believe they flew into one (perhaps inadvertently) with the autopilot engaged - a big error. The triply redundant Pitot tubes measuring airspeed all froze up, removing a critical input to the flight control computers (and possibly leaving the pitch controls with too much gain) and, probably in a strong downdraft, the autopilot stalled the aircraft in a fruitless effort to maintain altitude.
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:11 pm
@georgeob1,
Did you not see my previous post?
farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:32 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

From a flying perspective isolated thunderstorms are generally avoidable (unless one is stupid). The scariest ones occur in fast-moving warm fronts, often over the great plains, These are imbedded in larger weather systems and hard to pick out from surrounding clouds
Our flights from Pittburgh to Pryor Oklah were the scariest T storm events. Like you said, wed be cruising along in a corp jet at about 40000 feet and Id be watching the colors and one batch of storms would suddenly appear just behind a previous one. AND, at those elevations, when youd plow into the edges of these big cumulus clouds, theyd feel like you hit brick wall.

Id always worry cause these corporate pilots always looked like some guy who retired early from the AF or Navy as a jet jockey and still had that "need for speed" but would probably have a heart attack first.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:48 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Id always worry cause these corporate pilots always looked like some guy who retired early from the AF or Navy as a jet jockey and still had that "need for speed" but would probably have a heart attack first.

Don't confuse the hype and natural show-off inclinations of young men with foolishness. Even just a few years of flying brings just about everyone to a few moments of stark, helpless fear ... or, "scared shitless and fresh out of ideas" as the saying went. In the squadrons, we all knew that about ourselves and each other, and had all seen each other (and been seen ourselves) with the mask off. Trying to pretend otherwise was usually a fatal social error.

What scares me now in flying is looking at some green kid, fresh out of commercial flying school, who has never seen the bear, and now learning how to doze and chatter while the nav. computer and automatic flight control systems fly the aircraft.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:53 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Did you not see my previous post?

I did and I believe what you wrote. I was thinking about stats for thunderstorm incidence and associated damage ... and probably mostly from a flying perspective. Florida T storms are common indeed, but, because the overall weather is usually so good, generally isolated and easy to avoid.
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 03:14 pm
@georgeob1,
NP
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 07:22 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman- I am between Bradenton and Tampa. I'm in the lightning capital of Florida.

Did I mention that last week we had quite a hailstorm? The hail was the size of flattened marbles. The lawn looked like it was covered with white pebbles. My car, which was outside, got quite a bit "dinged".