THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 04:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
...A vicious little t-storm here around 5 pm...lightening strikes very close...brief periods of lost power...but now it is sunny again.
'Tis the season...
I remembered to roll up the windows on my van.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 04:24 pm
@Region Philbis,
Straining to hear it from here. Nope..those are Broonz fans warding off the evil spirits.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 04:26 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm in the thunder capital (so FL). We hear boomers regularly. Luckily, they pass quickly. My dog, Brady, is thunder-phobic and needs a drool bucket when they're popping.
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 05:36 pm
@Ragman,
Ive been in one of your thunderstorms . They get so damn wet that no one can drive, we all pull over and watch the few idiots that try to speed through. I was in one storm near one of those sinkhole lakes outside of Sebring and it was about 7" of rain in one storm. Ill bet it wasn't longer than about 20 minutes and hortly after it topped you could hear thw ground sucking up the water
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 06:35 pm
@farmerman,
Oh, that's the OTHER side of FL. They're evil over there. Gawd's trying to scrub them off the earth.

Yeah, I've seen one or two of those happen over here .. .and an hour later after the t-storm and frog-strangler, the sun is shining and things aren't any less humid afterwards.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 11:09 pm
There are boomers in the background as I sit here. We had a few tornados in the area during the last storm, which was surprising as it didn't seem hot enough, rather cool for days. So that puts things in a whole new perspective.
Apparently there were a few touchdowns tonight. And the streets in some of the town/cities are canoe-able tonight. So now were waiting for our deluge. The rain is pretty heavy already and we should get some hail too.
We're going to have an abundance of mosquitos.
As an aside, my over sensitive hound who used to ignore the storms has recently become aware of them. Now, during the evening light shows he noses me until I come and cuddle. He actually shakes. And if we get some thunder late at night, he whines until we let him in bed... Then he takes up the whole damn bed.
It's going to be a long night.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:04 am
They've been promising rain and thunderstorms here for a couple of days now, but they haven't delivered. Maybe we need to take a lynch mob on down to the weather bureau.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 04:40 pm
We are having these 20 minute , very intense, and lightning packing Thunderstorms. The rainfall is intense and in the space of 2 hours we already had 2.5 inches of rin. Like we need it.
I hope we don't suffer one of those mid summer droughts where we get NO rain for all of July or August and the evapotranspiration is so high that we have to water vgetable gardens daily, and we only get 1 cutting of hay in two months
Rockhead

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 04:42 pm
@farmerman,
"I hope we don't suffer one of those mid summer droughts where we get NO rain for all of July or August and the evapotranspiration is so high that we have to water vgetable gardens daily, and we only get 1 cutting of hay in two months "

because then you would have moved to Kansas.

(there's no place like home, there's no place like home...)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:13 pm
I got a flash flood warning on the cell phone around 15:30 EST, but the storm took another 45 minu to get here. It was loud, dark and wet for about 30 minutes. Sophie hid under the bed for awhile, but Ruby didn't notice. Bright and sunny in Annapolis, Maryland at 19:12 EST.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 03:00 am
@farmerman,
We had something like that yesterday, but no where near that amount of rain. We're in the middle of a heat wave, and i could have wished it had lasted longer. The day before yesterday, we had almost continuous growling thunder to the north--and nothing happened.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 04:30 am
@Setanta,
in total, we had three storms yesterday and were expecting more till Fri. The frequency will be greater according to the Weather Channel.

We were starting to dry out a bit from all the previous rain and then we get hit with another round.
We lost power and cable twice yesterday and there was a lightning fire at an Amish farm over near Georgetown, (Amiish don't believe in lightning rods they are too "techy"-I really don't know why they don't use lightning protection). Kinda stupid because they spend more on their barns then on their houses.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 04:36 am
I could go for a good, long t-storm right about now.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 04:48 am
@Setanta,
Ill UPS one on up. Weve got plenty
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 05:42 am
Apparently, it has already started raining in other parts of the city. I heard some rumbly-grumbly a few minutes ago. At least the overcast is keeping the temperature down. It has been in the 30s the last few days, and the "humidex" makes it about 40. That's over 100 on the only reasonable scale of measurement.
mismi

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:55 am
@Setanta,
There is nothing worse than hearing the rumbly grumblies when I am walking out the door. I want to turn right back around and go get my book and sit in my window seat.

But - it happened yesterday. And they were nice and long ones too. It was the hardest thing getting in that stupid car.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 07:37 am
@Setanta,
Ha!

the rumbly grumbly you heard was probably related to the lightning strike that took the power out downtown - we just got into the office after an hour and forty-five minutes waiting in the lobby.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 05:24 pm
If you folks in the NE stop hogging the rain, us folks in the SW will stop hogging the dry heat...

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1043980_10152921711635214_433308108_n.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 05:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
we got to 106.

then the big boomers kicked up...

I think the excitement is mostly over now.

dropped 20 degrees in two minutes...
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 07:12 pm
@Rockhead,
We had 2 giant boomers pass through this PM and knocked all the power out for about 2 hours.
We got 3" rain in those two storms. Weve now broken th record for the most rain in a june. (And that includes Hurricane AGNES in 1972 when we got 11" in the one storm)