THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:14 pm
@thack45,
Where ya at, thack?

Getting ominous here too. (Columbus, OH.)
thack45

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:19 pm
@sozobe,
A couple of your posts in the past led me to believe we were in the same city! Yeah. This is a good one.
sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:21 pm
@thack45,
Whew wind's kicking up something fierce.
thack45

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:27 pm
@sozobe,
Couldn't even stay outside from debris blowing in my eyes. Oops. Lightning just buzzed the cable. Hope I don't have to fool around with my router (grrr).
sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:32 pm
@thack45,
Really wish my kid wasn't at nature/ outdoor camp right now. They have a shelter house but it looked pretty flimsy to me. No idea if there's a basement. Fret.

Only small branches down so far around here.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:40 pm
Wow! Yall take care.
My architect called Saturday morning from Charlotte, NC. He had been attempting to fly here in Charlottesville, VA from Boston. (Why you have to fly to NC and then fly north to C'ville is a mystery). His flight here was delayed and then cancelled, as were flights to DC, Philly, NY.
He says he spent 12 hours in Charlotte overnight tossing back bourbon shots.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:43 pm
@sozobe,
I'm sure it's no consolation but kids have a habit of making it through these sorts of situations. Wink Hoping he/she is ok though.
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:46 pm
@mismi,
If i didn't have a frightened little dog to take care of, i'd go out an dance like a pagan when the thunderboomers start . . . i'll bet that was quite an experience.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:47 pm
@thack45,
Usually! Smile She's probably enjoying it, I'm just worried about a tree falling on her (lots of big trees by the shelter house) or lightning striking. The wind seems a little calmer, just dark and raining WHOA and right then some lightning not far away... I'm not worried- worried but I'll be happy to see her when she gets home. (It's a day camp.)
JPB

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:50 pm
@sozobe,
Stay safe, folks. We have a neighborhood email group and I've heard from three other neighbors that large trees came down in their yards (one mentioned house damage) and another who had a number of large trees "topped" which I took to mean that they were sheared above some level. Nasty storm and the temps are back up into the 90s so the cooling was very temporary.
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:52 pm
It hasn't started here in t.o. You guys are just tryin' to cheer me up, right?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:10 pm
@JPB,
I'm receiving FB updates from a restaurant in Wauconda, Ill., power outage - special of the day is melted ice cream, chips and warm pop.
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:11 pm
I was just out back with the little girl dog, and although there is no air moving at ground level, the wind is picking up in the tree tops.
sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:12 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah?

I was just checking the radar and came over to break it to you that I don't think you guys will get this one. Seems to be moving southeast.

At the top of my Wunderground page:

Quote:
Active Advisory: Severe Thunderstorm Warning, Severe Thunderstorm Watch, Areal Flood Advisory, Heat Advisory, Special Weather Statement (US Severe Weather) Active Notice: Local Storm Report

Whew. Lots going on.

(Local storm reports indicated gusts of 50 mph.)
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:18 pm
@sozobe,
I just checked the Weather Channel, and they were predicting (at 1:30 p.m.) that we would get hit. I also looked at the radar, and it's already raining north of the city.
sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:21 pm
@Setanta,
Yep, looks like there's another one brewing up there. Just doesn't look like this storm (the one that just hit us, which I think is the same one that hit JPB too) will get to you.

May fat raindrops be falling on your head very soon.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:25 pm
@ehBeth,
I have a FB friend near there who posted about wide scale damage and a major power outage. She was posting via smart phone right after the storm came through. I haven't seen anything from her since.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:41 pm
@Setanta,
I look straight up Yonge Street from my desk. It's raining due north of here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 02:04 pm
There were over 500,000 customers without power when we got hit a couple weeks ago. This one has taken out even more.

Quote:
Thunderstorms packing winds of 75 mph knocked out power to more than 791,000 Commonwealth Edison customers this morning, the biggest outage from a storm in at least five years.

As of 2 p.m., Commonwealth Edison said 578,000 customers were still without power: 278,000 north of the city, 136,000 west of the city, 93,000 inChicago and Maywood and 71,000 in the south.

Following the storm, a total of 791,000 customers were without power at one point or another. ComEd couldn't say when the last time a storm left so many customers without the power, saying it was still checking it records. In the last five years, only a storm on Aug. 23, 2007 come close: 634,000 lost electricity then. Source
sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 02:12 pm
@JPB,
Whooooaaaa...
0 Replies