THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

JustBrooke

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:31 pm
That sounds purdy!

I have a friend up in Canada (in Smithville). He was tellin' me about all the snow up there. Though I think he had some ice too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:54 am
Setanta wrote:
We've had 50 centimeters of snow here in less than a week--most of it came on two consecutive days. (For the Americans in the crowd, that's 20" of snow.) Why have i put this in the thunderboomers thread? Because, on the first day of the storm, in the afternoon, we had thunderboomers right in the middle of the blizzard. Yes, that's right, thunder and lightening just as in your garden variety summer thunderstorm, only in winter, as the snow was falling. I've heard thunder rumble, relatively quietly, during a snowstorm. This is the first time, though, that i've heard and seen real thunderstorm effects in winter. There were sharp and loud cracks of thunder, and the sky lit up. (You couldn't seen the lightening bolts as you usually would, because of the snow, which made the sky opaque--but there were spectacular effects of gold and red light when the lightening strikes took place.)

Curiouser and curiouser, Alice.

We had that too! A while before you -- it was the morning of Tuesday the 5th, and woke up sozlet way too early. Startling. Thunderstorms in February? Does not compute.

No 20 inches of snow though, darnit. We've had snow but not much and it doesn't stick around.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:59 am
The little dogs got all freaked out and started barking and looking for reassurance from the two-legged big dog. It was a genuine thunderstorm, with lots and light and sound over a period of time--definitely thunderstorm-like, and not just a transient freak. Very strange . . . the lightening was cool, because you could see the strokes of lightening, but the snow diffused the light and lit up great patches of the sky pale gold and pink. It were cool, but i had to come inside because little dogs were so freaked out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:09 am
That sounds very cool indeed.

Meanwhile, high is currently 46 and the high tomorrow is supposed to be 15. Some sort of snowiness expected overnight but it looks like it will probably be another dusting that disappears by midday or so.

I am fine with cold weather as long as there's SNOW! Cold weather plus plain old gray bare winterscape sucks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:18 pm
It's snowing again here--no thunder boomers, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 01:38 pm
I had just arrived at the dance studio when the lightning hit - where we were, it looked blue. Amazing. One of the other students was out in it - she said she thought it was the end of the world.

The snow crystals were reflecting and refracting all the lightning colours. I think it was better to see than to be in.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 05:02 pm
we heard some snow-thunder yesterday...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 05:46 pm
We had MAJOR thunder boomers last night, and woke up to the ground white like snow with dime sized half formed hail stones. It was eerie while it was going on and listening to it all run through the guttering.

RH
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 05:49 pm
Just drove home during a strong thunderstorm. My dog greeted me at the gate, despite getting a drenching.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 05:52 pm
Dogs are good people . . . better people than most people. Our little dogs, however, ain'ta goin' out in no thunderstorm, no how, not never, forget it . . .
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 06:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
Dogs are good people . . . better people than most people. Our little dogs, however, ain'ta goin' out in no thunderstorm, no how, not never, forget it . . .

Can't blame em'! And your little doggies are so precious. Everytime I see your avatar I wanna reach in there and hug the stuffin's outta em'. The same with Osso's.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:20 pm
we had some action a bit ago...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:24 pm
We had some big loud boomers last night, directly overhead. The little girl (in the picture) dealt with it pretty well, she's doin' better these days . . . but, then, she was attached to me at the hip for about four hours straight, too . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 07:29 pm
The little boy (not in any picture right now) didn't mind - he shouted at a few of the big booms and then insisted on going out to pee - but only if I went with him.

My hair became awfully poofity as it dried Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 07:58 pm
I hate to bring this up, but it is thunderboomer time here in enchantmentville. Do all of you shut down your computers including modem connection to tel line completely? (I admit to a kind of roulette mentality.)
A mac store guy in northern CA once told me the thing to do if one had a lot of important stuff ongoing, was get some kind of voltage regulator. Huh, nemmee. But still, today had Tstorms 50% predicted, so when I left the house for the afternoon, I shut it all down. I have the usual superduper plug thing (forget the ascribed word). Some say that's good enough and some don't).

Moving along from computer fear, I love the sky at New Mexico Monsoon time. Well, I love it best when I'm home from driving in it (I remember what seemed a flash flood on Central before I moved here.) The light is so great...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:01 pm
I shut it all down last night.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:05 pm
I shut down too...I LOVE a good thunderstorm. My kids don't even mind them. We all pile on the couch in front of the big window in the livingroom and watch it like it was T.V. We are expecting some tonight...getting a pretty good light show even as I speak. It is still pretty far away though...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:06 pm
No shutdown here.

Joe(bIG lighting arrestor here)Nation
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:23 pm
When my computer connection was only available through "dial up" - ie using phone lines, I would have a computer get fried once a year due to lightening. Now, with DSL and surge protectors, not so bad.
But still, there is a ridge to my west. The storms pile up there and then they come spilling over with a vengeance. I turn things off quick. Everything. Computer, TV, calculator, radio etc
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:34 pm
I remove the battery from my clock.
0 Replies