THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

goodfielder

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:01 pm
When I'm not home I worry about my dog (she is outside when I'm not home) and my cat (she is inside when I am not home) being scared of thunder and lightning.

The other night I got home a bit early and the weather report featured a thunderstorm coming in quite quickly with reports of spectacular lightning. I went outside and sat down to watch the show under the back verandah. I left my dog and cat inside. As I sat and watched I realised they were sitting with me, watching the show. It wasn't as good as we'd been promised so we all trudged back inside, feeling just a little disappointed.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:14 pm
After reading that descriptive prose, goodfielder, I felt, for a few seconds anway, that I was there with you.

Me, you, the dog, the cat, and the Australian thunderstorm raging around us.

It was a beautiful moment.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:30 pm
I was wondering about the pitchfork leaning up against the shed near the apricot tree down the back Gus - now I know Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:58 pm
I think Goodfielder paints a nice picture.

My animals aren't that scared of thunder-lightning. When there's howling wind and the house is shaking, they do sort of look to me to judge my reaction. But, I love the ruckus. So, they keep calm.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:12 am
could you describe the ruckus?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 10:19 am
Well, goodfielder's anecdote proved prophetic. Holy anticlimax, Batman. We got a fair amount of non-dramatic rain and some breezy breezes, not much more beyond that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:33 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
could you describe the ruckus?

ruckus, you know....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 03:29 am
we had another friday afternoon kickass t-storm.

it got dark enough that the street lights went on, and winds gusted to 60mph in some spots...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:51 am
Damn it. I got up early to go for a long bike ride, flip on the tube, see T-storm watches and warning...

Looking at storms with possible 2-inch hail and winds up to 70 mph in the next hour or so. Even with only a 40% precip probability, I don't want to ride through prairie and woodland with that coming.

And I already drank my coffee.

Damn it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 07:27 am
Looks like we're going to get hit. Damn it. Torrential thunderstorms in the morning with mid-90s heat in the afternoon.

That'll be damn pleasant.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 07:42 am
We had a good one the other day........

I actually managed to catch a fork on camera......

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/lord_ellpus/PICT7038_0003.jpg

...and then half an hour later, there was this......

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/lord_ellpus/PICT7039.jpg

A sunset almost good enough to walk off into......
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 04:58 pm
GAWD!

We're having a MASSIVE thunderstorm in this area, right this minute.

Bloody things right overhead! Lightning flashes about every five seconds, and the dog's just sh*t behind the couch!

Not much sleep tonight, methinks. (midnight, just about to go to bed...or I WAS just about to...)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:41 pm
Got caught out in a good one in Baton Rouge a few weeks back. Thunder ripping across the sky, from left to right, like a ramjet or an enormous sticky zipper. Apparently Louisiana is prone to storms.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:26 pm
patiodog, I grew up in Baton Rouge. Very dramatic weather there.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:15 pm
ya don't say.

Had the blackened gator tail at Chimes. Tasty.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 11:22 am
The Chimes is great. I used to go there all the time when I worked on campus. I don't recall ever having the blackened gator. How adventurous of you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:50 pm
Not at all. I love gator. Just particularly liked what they did with it, what with it being a five or six dollar appetizer and all. Mmmmm good.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:51 pm
Gator? It's supposed to taste like chicken, isn't it?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 06:50 pm
If chicken and lobster had a child, it would taste like gator.

And look like Eric Idle, but that's another story and another thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:02 pm
We've had 50 centimeters of snow here in less than a week--most of it came on two consecutive days. (For the Americans in the crowd, that's 20" of snow.) Why have i put this in the thunderboomers thread? Because, on the first day of the storm, in the afternoon, we had thunderboomers right in the middle of the blizzard. Yes, that's right, thunder and lightening just as in your garden variety summer thunderstorm, only in winter, as the snow was falling. I've heard thunder rumble, relatively quietly, during a snowstorm. This is the first time, though, that i've heard and seen real thunderstorm effects in winter. There were sharp and loud cracks of thunder, and the sky lit up. (You couldn't seen the lightening bolts as you usually would, because of the snow, which made the sky opaque--but there were spectacular effects of gold and red light when the lightening strikes took place.)

Curiouser and curiouser, Alice.
0 Replies