Is Paris, France overrated?

coa999

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 03:54 am
Apart from the sights and famous buildings, it seems pretty dull.

Sturgis

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2019 03:32 pm
@coa999,
My grandparents were quite find of it. When that McCarthy fellow in the 50s was causing troubles, my grandpa went back and stayed there until he died.

To make Paris a part of your being, start off in LeHavre, head southwest to Nantes, then go to Paris, then on to Lyon and then to the enjoyable experience on the Riviera at Cannes.
engineer

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 06:55 am
@coa999,
I guess it depends what you want to do. The sights and famous buildings are not dull if you are into that. I suspect that if you want to access the nightlife and other activities, you would need someone local to show you where to go.
0 Replies

coa999

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 02:37 am
@Sturgis,
Did your grandparents know the Civil War? i think so, since you're a grumpy old man.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 05:48 am
@coa999,
Just a tip, buddy. Never refer to the City of Light as "Paris, France" — makes you sound like a real hayseed.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 03:06 pm
@hightor,
People from Paris, Missouri might disagree.
hightor

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 03:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Paris, Texas. Paris, Maine. I guess there are 23 of them in the USA.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 04:15 pm
@hightor,
I can drive to Berlin in under a half an hour. Driving to Berlin, Germany is impossible because there is an ocean in the way.
0 Replies

coa999

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 09:53 pm
@hightor,
it is in France. I don't know what City of Light means. perhaps take your subjective beliefs to somebody who cares.
hightor

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 04:25 am
@coa999,
Quote:
it is in France.

And everybody knows that. So you don't have to say it. Get it?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 11:15 am
@hightor,
I am pretty sure Paris is in Tennesee. That means United States.
hightor

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 11:25 am
@maxdancona,
That's my point. You say "Paris, Tennessee". It was named after the city in France. You don't have to say "Paris, France", unless you want to sound like a hayseed.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 06:15 pm
@hightor,
I didn't say "Paris, Tennessee".

I said that Paris, that is the city named Paris, happens to be in Tennessee.

I am from Boston. Just because my city is named after an earlier city in England doesn't mean that I am England.

hightor

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 07:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I didn't say "Paris, Tennessee".

I phrased that poorly. Yes, there are cities named Paris all over the USA and around the world. There happens to be a city named "Paris" in Tennessee. When I wrote, 'You say "Paris, Tennessee"' I was not referring to you but to the conversation of an abstract "person". In the context of the OP's question, it would be highly unlikely that, were "France" left out of the title, anyone would assume the question referred to Paris, Tennessee. (Actually, the most overrated place in Tennessee is Graceland.)
maxdancona

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 07:14 pm
@hightor,
Is Graceland more overrated than Paris?

(When talking about cities in Tennessee that is).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 07:58 pm
I have recently found out that it is against the law to take pictures of the Eiffel Tower at night with its lights on.
engineer

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 06:58 am
@McGentrix,
It is only a violation of copyright law to use said picture commercially (and this law applies to lots of copyrighted architecture, not just the Eiffel Tower). As a private citizen you can take all the pictures you want for your photo album. Social media is tricky since posting your personal pictures could be considered "dissemination".
glitterbag

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2019 02:56 am
@engineer,
Oh and the food, OMG the food and the wine and the divine crepes.
0 Replies

coa999

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2019 04:36 am
@hightor,
Actually, no.
But I get smart-asses who try to feel powerful by undermining random points online. you haven't wounded me, but just made me laugh.
hightor

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2019 07:43 am
@coa999,
It wasn't an effort to "wound" you — I don't even know you. And giving someone a tip on word usage doesn't feel the least bit empowering — hell, I don't even get a "thank you".

Ever hear of the Paris Climate Accord? Ever use plaster of Paris? Do you know the Cole Porter tune, "I Love Paris"? Everyone knows what "Paris" means and where it is.

Ever see the movie "Paris, Texas"? Putting "Texas" on the end helps to distinguish it from the French city, which is what people would usually think if the name were used by itself.