CAN YOU NAME THIS PLACE?

Francis

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:12 am
Yes, he ofended by not doing his work correctly.

It's not a thing that really happened...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 01:44 pm
Francis wrote:
On this place, someone was condemned to be eviscerated slowly...

I just saw this, Francis . . . way too easy . . . the Caucasus Mountains . . . to my knowledge, no specific peak was mentioned . . .

http://museum.nist.gov/exhibits/timeline/itemImages/Baksan_Valley.jpg

EDIT: You refer to Prometheus, obviously, punished for giving fire to mankind . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 01:49 pm
Not quite I think.It was for stealing it from the Gods.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 01:51 pm
Yes, Set... It was easy in a way.

Before posting us a new place, tell us a little more, Set, about this:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gismonda/images/prometheus.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 01:51 pm
Are you counsel for the prosecution, or the defense?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 02:03 pm
Above are the consequences of Prometheus leaving his brother Epimetheus alone with Pandora.

Pandora then opened the box...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 02:11 pm
I can't tell you more, Francis, because i can't see the image you attempted to post. I'll wait a bit before i post again.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 02:21 pm
Picture edited.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 02:49 pm
The Greek creation myth has it that Eros created all the beings that were in the world, and then called upon the sons of Iapetus the Titan--Prometheus and Epimetheus--to endow them with the gifts which would be necessary to their survival.

But Promotheus and Epimetheus were overly generous in their endowment of the animals, and had no gifts left to give to mankind, which it had been ordained they would fashion. So they fashioned man from clay, bade Eros to breathe life into the nostrils, and Pallas to take of her wit and provide a soul. Thus was man created, and looked upon the world below, which was to be his domain.

Prometheus wanted to give man a gift above all others, one which would distinguish him unquestionably from the other creatures. He thought of the fear which fire inspired in animals, and trembling with the fear of the jealousy of the gods for this special thing, he nevertheless stole into the halls of Mount Olympus of a late night as the gods slept from the effects of their carousing. He there stole a lighted brand, and hiding it in his bosom, took it below to man. From this wonderous gift, mankind were able to fashion many wonderful things, so great was their native wit from the gift of soul Pallas had given them.

Zeus was angry beyond measure, and for a punishment, Prometheus was bound to a peak in the Caucasus, and each day an eagle would descend upon him to tear the liver from his still quick flesh.

I suspect you also want the story of Epimetheus and Pandora, but i've prattled on enough here . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 02:52 pm
I am a lake . . . hawthornes grow above my painted rocks, but sitting too long here may "git you gloomy."

(That is pregnant with clues for an American with some knowledge of literature--let's see if the "feriners" can make something of it.)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:15 pm
Could this be here?

"The "pictured rocks" on the south shore of Lake Superior were painted by mineral stains on exposed cliffs scoured by glaciers. The colorful streaks on the cliffs - as high as 200 feet above the water - result from groundwater that seeps out of cracks in the rock. The oozing water contains iron, limonite, copper, and other minerals that brush the cliff face with colors as they trickle down. The pictured rocks were the inspiration for William Wadsworth Longfellow's "The Song of Hiawatha." In 1966, the Pictured Rocks were preserved as America's first national lakeshore. The park stretches along Lake Superior, the world's largest freshwater lake, for 40 miles."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:32 pm
I guess i made that too easy . . .

Yes indeed, Francis, i had Gitcheegoomee in mind--Lake Superior. (Beautiful place, the little dog in my picture here highly approves of lakes in general, and greatly enjoyed Superior.)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:49 pm
I have a "black door"...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 03:02 pm
10 Downing Street London

and dont tell me this is wrong, because it does have a black door.

there may be otehr places you were thinking of Francis, but this has to be one option
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:00 am
I was thinking of one in latin...
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:32 am
Porta Nigra is in Trier, Germany.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:49 am
That's it my lady!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:52 am
I am thinking of a city whose name derives from 'to the city' in one of its conquering languages.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:57 am
My believe is you are thinking of Istanbul :

Greek : "ees-teen Pohleen" or "to the Polis" (aka, "to Constantinople").
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 02:00 am
Ooh you are quick this morning! You are right.
0 Replies