Is it wrong to break an immoral promise?

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:55 am
fishin' wrote:
Of course it would be morally wrong for him to break the promise.

Since you created this with the supposition that breaking a promise is morally wrong I don't see there is any room for anyone to answer otherwise.

Only if one concludes that an immoral promise (i.e. a promise to do something immoral) has the same moral force as a moral promise (i.e. a promise to do something that is either moral or morally neutral).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:56 am
Ray wrote:
A promise is basically a trust agreement between people. If the agreement is wrong, then it is not wrong to dismiss the agreement. Breaking some promises might be considered wrong by people because it would be a breach of trust; that's basically it. However, if a promise is made that is wrong in the first place, then you would have an obligation to not follow that promise. There is no breach of trust since the agreement is harmful to anyone else.

Or, to put it another way: is an immoral promise binding on the promisor?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 09:51 am
I was always troubled about the ethics in Rumplestiltskin. After all, the frantic maiden did promise him her first-born child--and then wiggled out of the promise to live happily ever after.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:02 am
Then again Noddy, King Bluebeard killed his wife who
couldn't keep the promise she's given him.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
....and the Princess by carrying on and on about the pea broke all the rules of hospitality, but still married the prince.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:50 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Only if one concludes that an immoral promise (i.e. a promise to do something immoral) has the same moral force as a moral promise (i.e. a promise to do something that is either moral or morally neutral).

Are you asking what we think by our morals, or what we would conclude from the moral position you first outlined? Your initial post clearly stated that breaking promises is morally wrong. Unless your definition of the word 'promises' excludes 'immoral promises', then it must be morally wrong for Albert to break his promise to Hubert.

Are we discussing the application of the initial moral rules you suggested, or their own value as moral rules?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 11:16 am
djbt wrote:
Are you asking what we think by our morals, or what we would conclude from the moral position you first outlined? Your initial post clearly stated that breaking promises is morally wrong. Unless your definition of the word 'promises' excludes 'immoral promises', then it must be morally wrong for Albert to break his promise to Hubert.

Are we discussing the application of the initial moral rules you suggested, or their own value as moral rules?

It all depends on whether you think "immoral promises" are in a different category from promises in general.

Breaking a promise can only be wrong if the act of promising obligates the promisor to perform the promise. For instance, if, in exchange for Hubert's money, Albert said "I may or may not kill your wife," then his decision not to kill her would not have broken any promise because he never obligated himself to commit the act. If, on the other hand, an immoral promise does not obligate the promisor to perform, then breaking the promise is, at least arguably, not wrong.

Whether one says that an immoral promise is not really a promise, and so there is no promise to break, or that breaking an immoral promise is not wrong because there is no obligation, amounts to much the same thing. Under either interpretation, we can have a world in which promise-breaking in general is morally wrong but breaking immoral promises is morally acceptable.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:04 pm
The second thing Val said is what I agree with.
0 Replies

Lizette

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:55 pm
Hey Ray.. could u help me
Hey man... i was looking for people in different forums... about Brave new world.
And u were one of them. I feel interested about ur opinion of the novel. And i would like to ask u if u could help me about it... if u can... plz... mail me to [email protected]... if u can't don't worry... and thanks for ur attention...

Sariah Very Happy

My first language is not the english, sorry for any mistake.. :wink:
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:16 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Under either interpretation, we can have a world in which promise-breaking in general is morally wrong but breaking immoral promises is morally acceptable.

I would be happy to agree with this as a rule of thumb, but as you know, I do not regard keeping or breaking promises as having intrinsic moral value. How right or wrong those actions are depends on their consequences, and how right or wrong the person who acts was depends on their intentions and their effort and honesty in evaluating the consequences.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 02:43 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
fishin' wrote:
Of course it would be morally wrong for him to break the promise.

Since you created this with the supposition that breaking a promise is morally wrong I don't see there is any room for anyone to answer otherwise.

I don't see how it matters. You set the stipulation that breaking a promise is morally wrong - period. You didn't add caveats to it or set conditions where breaking a promise might not be immoral. Since you created the stipluation there is no room for one to draw their own conclusions without going outside of the stipulations.

If you had asked which moral should be given more weight, if breaking one was more serious than breaking the other, or simply if breaking an immoral promise woud be wrong, then the severity of each comes into play but that wasn't your original posit.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:24 am
fishin' wrote:
I don't see how it matters. You set the stipulation that breaking a promise is morally wrong - period. You didn't add caveats to it or set conditions where breaking a promise might not be immoral. Since you created the stipluation there is no room for one to draw their own conclusions without going outside of the stipulations.

You are taking this far too literally. Consider:

Let us assume that breaking contracts is legally wrong. Hubert Husband contracts with Albert Assassin to kill his wife. Hubert, per the terms of the contract, pays Albert $50,000 down, with another $50,000 to be paid upon completion of the contract. Albert, however, has a change of heart and decides not to perform his part of the deal. Hubert then sues Albert for breach of contract. What is the result?

If you know anything of contract law, you know that Hubert will lose. That's because contracts to perform illegal acts are prohibited under the law: such contracts are void ab initio, i.e. of no effect whatsoever. Yet we can still talk about the wrongfullness of breaking contracts in general, even if it is not wrong for Albert to break this contract in particular. In the same way, then, one can stipulate that breaking promises is morally wrong, but still hold that breaking this promise is morally acceptable.

And if you're still having trouble reconciling those two principles, let me ask this: if Albert was wrong to break his promise to murder someone, was his action morally condemnable? Or, if Albert has another change of heart and kills the wife, should we then praise him for keeping his promise?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 03:03 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
fishin' wrote:

You are taking this far too literally. Consider:

Let us assume that breaking contracts is legally wrong. Hubert Husband contracts with Albert Assassin to kill his wife. Hubert, per the terms of the contract, pays Albert $50,000 down, with another $50,000 to be paid upon completion of the contract. Albert, however, has a change of heart and decides not to perform his part of the deal. Hubert then sues Albert for breach of contract. What is the result?

If you know anything of contract law, you know that Hubert will lose. That's because contracts to perform illegal acts are prohibited under the law: such contracts are void ab initio, i.e. of no effect whatsoever. Yet we can still talk about the wrongfullness of breaking contracts in general, even if it is not wrong for Albert to break this contract in particular. In the same way, then, one can stipulate that breaking promises is morally wrong, but still hold that breaking this promise is morally acceptable.

Your example has two problems with it. First off, "legal" and "moral", while often complementing each other don't always. Secondly, it is accepted legal principle that a contract isn't legally enforcable if the contract itself is for an illegal act so anyone with knowledge of the legal system knows that this exclusion exists. If you had created a similar "out" in your stipulations then I probably would have agreed as others did that him backing out of the promise wouldn't be morally wrong. Wink

Quote:
And if you're still having trouble reconciling those two principles, let me ask this: if Albert was wrong to break his promise to murder someone, was his action morally condemnable? Or, if Albert has another change of heart and kills the wife, should we then praise him for keeping his promise?

Yes and no. Very Happy While I'd agree that any comdemnation should, in this case, be extremely mild and that he shouldn't ever be praised for murdering someone those are both measures within the confines of the stipulations you originally set. Being morally wrong doesn't necessarily mean a strong comdemnation (or any at all for that matter).

Perhaps I am taking things to literally but when one presents a scenario for philosophical discussion and sets conditions I see little point in jumping outside of the stipulations to play "what if" as if the stipulations didn't exist. If you put them there I assume they are there for a reason. Why would you create them if you didn't intend for them to apply?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:08 am
fishin' wrote:
Your example has two problems with it. First off, "legal" and "moral", while often complementing each other don't always.

That would only be a problem if I had said that the two scenarios were equivalent. I didn't. I set them up as analogous case, not as identical ones.

fishin' wrote:
Secondly, it is accepted legal principle that a contract isn't legally enforcable if the contract itself is for an illegal act so anyone with knowledge of the legal system knows that this exclusion exists. If you had created a similar "out" in your stipulations then I probably would have agreed as others did that him backing out of the promise wouldn't be morally wrong. Wink

It was not necessary for me to create an "out." It was your job to determine if such an "out" exists.

fishin' wrote:
Being morally wrong doesn't necessarily mean a strong comdemnation (or any at all for that matter).

Something cannot be both morally wrong and not blameworthy.

fishin' wrote:
Perhaps I am taking things to literally but when one presents a scenario for philosophical discussion and sets conditions I see little point in jumping outside of the stipulations to play "what if" as if the stipulations didn't exist. If you put them there I assume they are there for a reason. Why would you create them if you didn't intend for them to apply?

Yes. You are taking things too literally. See my previous post.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:37 am
"Is it wrong to break an immoral promise?"

To make a promise that has immoral consequences is wrong.

'I will help you rob the bank'

To break this promise is also wrong. It is immoral to rob a bank, but it is also immoral to break a promise. So if you made the promise you are in the shyt. You just have to break the promise that has the least consequences to break, and pay the price. That would be the only way to regain moral balance. But you'd have to remember to pay for it, or it is not moral.

But if the promise was this:
'I promise that I will steal your wife'

It is an immoral promise, but is it immoral to break it? If so, to who is it immoral?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:51 am
Re: Is it wrong to break an immoral promise?
joefromchicago wrote:
Let us suppose that murder is morally wrong. Furthermore, let us suppose that breaking promises is also morally wrong. Now, suppose that Albert Assasin promises Hubert Husband that, in exchange for a large sum of money, he will kill Hubert's wife. As he is preparing to commit the deed, however, Albert has a change of heart, and decides that he will not go ahead with the murder.

Question: was it morally wrong for Albert to break his promise to Hubert?

In the eyes of Albert Assassin he is unconcerned that he is intending to be morally wrong when he makes the promise in the first place since it is morally wrong to kill someone. Therefore I can't imagine him feeling immoral for breaking a promise either, since he has no qualms about either murder or breaking promises.

In my eyes since the promise was to do an immoral act, the breaking of that promise is not morally wrong.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 03:24 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
fishin' wrote:
Secondly, it is accepted legal principle that a contract isn't legally enforcable if the contract itself is for an illegal act so anyone with knowledge of the legal system knows that this exclusion exists. If you had created a similar "out" in your stipulations then I probably would have agreed as others did that him backing out of the promise wouldn't be morally wrong. Wink

It was not necessary for me to create an "out." It was your job to determine if such an "out" exists.

True, but only within the confines of the set stipulations.

Why did you bother to list the set of conditions if you expected people to just ignore them? Imagine this in our schools; "A train leaves New York City traveling at 50 mph headed on a 2000 mile trip. If the train maintains a constant 50mph speed, how long will it take for the train to reach it's destination?" Little Johnny jumps up and says "1 hour if they speed up to 2000 mph!". Little Johnny gets a gold star and an "A" in math on his report card. lol

Quote:
fishin' wrote:
Being morally wrong doesn't necessarily mean a strong comdemnation (or any at all for that matter).

Something cannot be both morally wrong and not blameworthy.

Really? I'd think it can. For example, you bring home a pocket full of penny candies and put them in a kitchen drawer. Your 6 year old child sees you put them in there and you tell them that they aren't allowed to touch them. You leave the room and the candies are soon forgotten.

5 years later you walk into the kitchen and you child is popping one of the candies into their mouth. Do you lecture them about the committing an immoral (and quite possibly unhealthy!) act or chuckle at them for waiting for 5 years? How much blame is it worth at this point?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:08 am
fishin' wrote:
True, but only within the confines of the set stipulations.

Why did you bother to list the set of conditions if you expected people to just ignore them? Imagine this in our schools; "A train leaves New York City traveling at 50 mph headed on a 2000 mile trip. If the train maintains a constant 50mph speed, how long will it take for the train to reach it's destination?" Little Johnny jumps up and says "1 hour if they speed up to 2000 mph!". Little Johnny gets a gold star and an "A" in math on his report card. lol

No need to belabor the point, fishin': you've sufficiently convinced me that you can't get beyond a simplistic reading of the hypothetical's stipulations. Others in this thread, however, have been able to argue that it was not morally wrong for Albert, under the conditions stipulated in the hypothetical, to break his promise. Perhaps you should be arguing with them rather than with me.

fishin' wrote:
Really? I'd think it can. For example, you bring home a pocket full of penny candies and put them in a kitchen drawer. Your 6 year old child sees you put them in there and you tell them that they aren't allowed to touch them. You leave the room and the candies are soon forgotten.

5 years later you walk into the kitchen and you child is popping one of the candies into their mouth. Do you lecture them about the committing an immoral (and quite possibly unhealthy!) act or chuckle at them for waiting for 5 years? How much blame is it worth at this point?

Your amused reaction indicates that you no longer hold the action to be immoral (for some unknown reason). Actions to which no blame is attached are either moral or amoral. As such, there is no contradiction: the action is not blameworthy because it is not immoral.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:11 am
Cyracuz wrote:
"Is it wrong to break an immoral promise?"

To make a promise that has immoral consequences is wrong.

I would tend to agree.

Cyracuz wrote:
'I will help you rob the bank'

To break this promise is also wrong. It is immoral to rob a bank, but it is also immoral to break a promise. So if you made the promise you are in the shyt. You just have to break the promise that has the least consequences to break, and pay the price. That would be the only way to regain moral balance. But you'd have to remember to pay for it, or it is not moral.

"Pay for it" in what respect?

Cyracuz wrote:
But if the promise was this:
'I promise that I will steal your wife'

It is an immoral promise, but is it immoral to break it? If so, to who is it immoral?

How is "I promise that I will steal your wife" any different from "I promise to kill your wife"?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:13 am
Re: Is it wrong to break an immoral promise?
Heeven wrote:
In the eyes of Albert Assassin he is unconcerned that he is intending to be morally wrong when he makes the promise in the first place since it is morally wrong to kill someone. Therefore I can't imagine him feeling immoral for breaking a promise either, since he has no qualms about either murder or breaking promises.

Albert's subjective feelings are largely irrelevant to the issue, since Albert may be a sociopath who has no moral feelings whatsoever (indeed, being a hired killer, there's a good chance of that being true).

Heeven wrote:
In my eyes since the promise was to do an immoral act, the breaking of that promise is not morally wrong.

Then should we praise Albert for breaking his promise?
0 Replies