Who can name this old, old cartoon?

Chai

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 11:32 am
This feature length cartoon looks like it was made around the time of Betty Boop, Sniffles the Mouse, etc. It was in color.

All I can remember about it was that it was concerning a community of insects that had to move from the vicinity where they were living.

They were in a big city, like New York or Chicago.
They were living in a window garden on one floor, and had to make the perilous journey up to the penthouse, where they could start a new life.

There was the cute girl bug that had to saved by the hero from the clutches of the villan. I think it was a spider.

I remember seeing it several times as a very small child - for some reason it just hypnotized me.

Any clue?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,142 • Replies: 16
No top replies

thiefoflight

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:23 pm
It's called HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN (1941)
It was made by the Fleischer brothers who also made Betty Boop and Popeye
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:02 pm
One of our other film experts responded quickly!

Here's a link to the IMDb page and the film is available in VHS only:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033727/
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:21 pm
Wow - that's so cool!

I thought this would be a hard one
thanks thiefy

i think i get it and pretend i'm five.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:42 pm
I wouldn't mind having that film -- my favorite Disney is "Three Cabelleros."
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:55 pm
Here's another one. This was a cartoon probably made in the late 1940s, featuring a parrot that read Mien Kampf then turned the household upside down, setting the pets against each other. It was shown regularly in Detroit when I was a young sprout.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:29 pm
And remember this one?

The little owl who sang....

I love to singa...
About the sunna and the moona and the juna

My all time favorite will always be Sniffles the mouse.

On a different track, I was talking to someone the other day about Felix the Cat and asked if they remembered the other characters that had their cartoon in the same Felix show.

Like....Busy Buzz Buzz, the little girl who cleaned all the time?
Va Voom! - who rarely spoke, but when he did, his "Va Voom!" would knock everyone over.

Oh - and poindexter and Master Cylinder.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:34 pm
Chai, I recently saw that cartoon of the little owl who wanted to sing. The premise was that his very traditional German-American father didn't want him to perform, so he snuck out to compete in a radio amateur hour. Of course, he wins. At first his father is angry, but then charmed by the singing. Great stuff!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:52 am
Were Poindexter and Master Cylinder shown on the Capt. Kangaroo show? I remember them.

Also remember Cluth Cargo, whose only movement was in his lips, not unlike Conan O'Briens bit with celebs voiced by Robert Stergill.

What about the Nazi parrot? Anyone remember him?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:12 am
Oh no! Master Cylinder was evil?
Poindexter was, well, a nerd when nerds weren't cool. couldn't see his pupils of his eyes, big round glasses, wore a lab coat and a motar board on his head.
I think poinsey was on Felix.

Yes - I remember Cluth Cargo!
Do you remember Clyde Crashcup? He was a scientist - tall, thin with a big nose and his assistant was a bald shrimpy guy that only whispered in Clydes ear.

I had a pet duck name Clyde Crashcup for about 3 days (don't ask)

No - I don't remember the nazi parrot. got any pictures?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 02:05 pm
Um, it was Clutch (not Cluth) Cargo, though I like the idea of Cluth, too. Wasn't that the cartoon in which the bodies hardly moved, but moving human lips were used for close-ups of the characters' faces? A bit spooky, it was.
0 Replies

Steve Carras

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:18 pm
Care for an update (think: "revival of an old post" since I just recently came on here) to this old topic?

"Master Cylinder","Poindexter",and "VaVoom" (ALL voiced by Popeye-Jack Mercer!) were ALL 1958 "Felix the Cat" (TV) supporting characters. Produced by former Paramount Famousd Harveytoon New York animator and Crasper cocreator Joe Oriolo.

"Hoppity goes to town" (ALSO connected to Par.Pictures,with the FLesichers,) which the first poster a few years back queried on, was released in '41 as "Mr.Bug goes to town" (a la Jimmy Stewart!).

As for others mentioned (BusyBuzz Buzz I have no clue, but Huckleberry Hound had to deal with a termite who sang a song that went "Buzzy Buzz Buzz Buzz Buzz,in 1958)

"Clutch Cargo": Was produced by Cambria Studios, the same knuckleheads <grin> responsible ten years later thereabouts for those
kistchy goofy Three Stooges cartoons, and yes it DID have "superimposed human lips"! FIrst appeared in 1958,IIRC.

"Clyde Crazshup" I always loved, a 1961-1965 "Alvin Show" English professor whose best friend and able bodied aide was one small,bald "Leonardo", who spoke only in a wsiper and only to CC--who took credit for ANYTHING always existed in both carotondom and in live actionland and in the real world. He would fragment two syllable words..e.g.,i.e.,"Fragment..Frag for Frag and Ment for Ment"..and so forth.Was done by Herbert Klynne/Format Films and Chipmunk/Alvin creator Ross (Sr.,not the wimper Jr.) Bagdasarian/Bagdasarian Film Corp.).
VERY funny and totally thusly UNLIKE the unending 80s-early 90s version (Ruby-Spears,D(o)I(t)C(heap), and MWS.)_

I liked the old late 50s-60s Hanna Barbera cartoons (NOT some of the Pebbles/Bamm Bamm "Flinstones" of the 60s that took away the Honeymooner edge from Fred though comedian Harvey Korman's Great Kazoo's character restored the focus on Fred and Barney and thusly turned out some of the funniest show ever) or the Scooby Doo crud thereafter and also the Rankin-Bass feature that helped made it possible for Mad Monster Party (their most known feature) to excist..The ":Daydreamer",with Paul O'Keefe of "The Patty Duke Show", that show's star, Burl Ives, Hayley Mills, and reunited from MGM's "Wizard of Oz", Margaret Hamilton & Ray Bolger, plus comic pianist Victor Borge, British comic actor Terry-Thomas (also a voice in Disney's 1973 animated ":Robin Hood'), "Cracker Jack" ad and "Cocoon" star Jack Gilford, and even older radio-stage-TV-screen legends Boris Karloff, Sessue Hayakawa,, Ed Wynn, and Cyril Richard in the cast
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:43 am
Roger Ramjet!

Kiwimac
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:32 am
Wow steve....cool

welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:33 am
oooo sorry, you too kiwimac!

(I loved your post about the priests BTW)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:38 am
kiwimac wrote:
Roger Ramjet!

Hes our man,
hero of the nation....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 09:19 pm
My interest in this cartoon about demagoguery was renewed this week when I heard that Bill O'Reilly is trying to turn the nation against the poor. That is probably so the group once known as the middle class will not notice they are the new poor.

Anyway, I asked my FB friends and my nephew found the link to the cartoon I have long sought.

"Cholly Polly" was made in 1942.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVRTUWnKAaQ
0 Replies