Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Noddy24

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 02:43 pm
Personally, I'm looking foward to a nice sentimental read on the 16th of the month. The real world is a very complicated and frequently sordid place. Heroic fantasy is an excellent escape.

Have you pre-ordered the book through Amazon? Will you be haunting your local Barnes & Noble at midnight? Do you intend to hijack the special UPS driver?

Or do you feel Harry Potter isn't your cup of tea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,838 • Replies: 70
No top replies

George

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 02:46 pm
I must admit I'm looking forward to it as well.
Younger Son is no longer as rabid a fan, so we won't be waiting in any
lines to get a copy.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:30 pm
I was really disappointed in the last book and decided not to purchase the next volume. I do expect to get it from the library at some point. I think the first two were excellent and even the third was a fun read, but now I just wish a good editor would magically appear into JK Rowlings life.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:36 pm
I'll be at Borders at midnight to get mine.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:47 pm
I think she should produce shorter volumes. That said, I intend to follow the series to the end.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:17 pm
I didn't quite like the last book as much as the previous one myself, and is there a trend of characters dying off here?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 12:16 pm
Ms. Rowling has set herself a difficult project. As well as sustaining a consistant fantasy world, she's increasing the complexity of the characters as Harry and his friends mature.

"Reality" in a world of vigorous evil demands that every so often a sympathetic, major character meets his doom.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 12:54 pm
I remain strangely resistant. I saw maybe 10 minutes of the movie, though (first one), and was drawn in very quickly, so I'm sure once I give in I'll love it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:04 pm
Sozobe--

Sometimes loudly acclaimed status can be a turn-off.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 09:49 am
Obviously this is my week for personal confusion and public bloopers.

The new Harry Potter won't be released until July 16th.

Abjectly, I remain most fallible.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:26 am
i have preordered on amazon...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:32 am
Since the series started I've been buying a copy for myself and one for my neice.

This year, she graduates from high school. Thinking maybe she wouldn't be interested I sent her a note asking if this is a tradition she would like to continue.

I was happy to receive an enthusiastic "Yes!".

I love Harry Potter for providing me the opportunity to have a little tradition with my neice who has never lived closer than 3000 miles to me.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 11:15 am
Well it annoys me how much they're having to cut to make the movies

Not that I EVER think movies live up to books Wink Gimme a nice hardback anyday Smile

But I think 700 pages for a kids book is pushing it... if it was in normal sized print then the book wouldn't be so huge teehee

Anyway I am looking forward to it - i always get the books pretty soon after publication and read them next day... only this time I'm gonna be in Waiblingen when it comes out... so i shall have to read it in German - what fun!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 04:42 pm
Bekaboo--

One of the subsidiary delights of Harry Potter for some kids is that the stories are big, fat, grown-up sized books.

Some poseurs are more innocent than others. Some children dress up as the crowned heads of the universe, some as athletes and some as intellectuals.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 05:14 pm
potter is more than my regular cup of tea I read all 5 books and am litteraly dying to get the 6th in any way possible (though i doubt i will do the UPS think lol :wink: ) i also read the book god the devil and harry potter....the author brough up some relavant points but every one should know that it is just a book al beit a VERY interesting book that is a good read
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 09:09 pm
Don't cut out your local independent bookseller! They're the ones that fueled the HP phenomenon from the start.
The bookstore near me will be open at midnight, and then later that AM they're having a breakfast with a bunch of activities, including a Harry Potter Obstacle Course.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 12:47 pm
eoe--

I agree completely about independent booksellers--but there aren't any good ones in my neck of the woods.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 02:05 pm
sorry
you should not despair my friend where there is a will there is a way :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 05:00 pm
bsingh5 --

Right now The Way is spelled A-M-A-Z-O-N.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:50 am
lol
hehe yes it is Laughing not to mention that if you sit well with one of your local bookstores they might be willing to hold one for you
0 Replies