Speeding Ticket Help

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 02:09 pm
I live in a small town and I got a speeding ticket this morning. I was written up as going 10 over.
I was going 45 in a 30....but the thing is, once you turn this corner (after coming to a stop) where I got the ticket, it's only about 2-3 blocks where the speed limit is 30, then it changes to 40
I was running late for work and it was my second day on the job, so I really wan't paying attention to my speed.
I've never been pulled over for speeding before.
My brother advised me to take the ticket to court, before the majestrate and see if I can get the fine reduced, or at the very least the points taken off my record, becuase it's hard for me to afford my insurance as is!
I'm 18 and I'm going to be starting college in fall, and I'm paying for mostly everything myself, I really don't have the money to pay extra on my insurance. And plus this probably over a hundred dollar ticket.
Anyone have experience with this sort of thing that can maybe offer me some advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,216 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 02:48 pm
There may be a loophole in a transitional speed area like that. You could say you saw the 40 ahead and were simply speeding up to the posted limit. Never admit to going faster than 40 (hint).

Check with the city and see if a a traffic study has been performed recently on that stretch of road. If there hasn't been one for a couple years, you might be able to get out of ticket. Traffic studies have to be done to determine how fast and how much traffic is flowing. If it is going faster than the posted limit, then they either have to up the limit or do something to reduce speed in the area.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 02:50 pm
Anway, if that doesn't work, maybe you'll get lucky and the issuing officer won't show up for court. If he/she does, and you can't get out of the ticket, ask for a reduced fine and ask to go to traffic school (if available). Plead hardship. Traffic school will also prevent the ticket from being reported to the insurance companies.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 05:00 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Traffic school will also prevent the ticket from being reported to the insurance companies.

I just want to give positive confirmation to this. I have even done traffic school online (took 10 minutes) that kept the ticket off the insurance companys' radars.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:19 am
Just a word of caution about traffic schools: not every state offers this option. Michigan, it appears, has a traffic school/defensive driving option, which is good news for RockChk, but that's not always available. Illinois, for instance, does not offer traffic school as an option for persons who have received traffic tickets. As with all legal questions, it is best to check the laws in your area.
0 Replies

coookiecoookie123

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 04:38 pm
question about cops
now ive got a quick question. are cops trained to remember the license plates of every person in front of them?

like lest say someone might have been speeding and the cop didnt turn on his lights but remembered his license plate, can he then send the person a ticket later?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 04:43 pm
Re: question about cops
coookiecoookie123 wrote:
now ive got a quick question. are cops trained to remember the license plates of every person in front of them?

like lest say someone might have been speeding and the cop didnt turn on his lights but remembered his license plate, can he then send the person a ticket later?

Yes. We like to call it "2nd grade" which is about the time most of us learn to read numbers and letters fairly well.

They can send you a ticket based on a report from alomst anyone. Whether or not it would hold up if you challange the ticket in court or not is another matter.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 05:24 pm
I would check with the prosecutor's office to see if they offer a speeding ticket diversion (which will keep it off your record), or if they are able to amend it to a non-moving violation (which will also keep it off your record). Each jurisdiction is different and have their own rules for what they can and cannot do. Many prosecutor's offices have "walk-in" hours where the public can meet with them to discuss options. I would suggest you do this prior to court.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 05:28 pm
Re: question about cops
coookiecoookie123 wrote:

I can't say they wouldn't send a citation to the registered owner of the vehicle, but I can't imagine they would. It would likely NOT hold up in court, as the prosecution could not prove who was the driver of the vehicle at the time of the violation.
0 Replies