Should Musicals & Comedies be a new Oscar category?

couzz

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 06:41 am
Should the Academy add a new category for Best Film--Musicals and Comedies? The Golden Globes currently have this award category.

If this category was added to the Oscars, it may expand the making of higher level comedies like "As Good As It Gets". Musicals seem to be making a comeback and it could possibly insure this trend would continue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,125 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:30 am
Hmmm.....Interesting. Might be a good idea, but only if they would limit the actual Oscar show. Thanking everyone from your Aunt Tillie to the guy who altered your tuxedo gets to be a bit much!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 09:24 am
... and there are few comedies that have won any awards at all (you have to really stretch and add "Shakespeare in Love"). Here are a few more:

Hunt and Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets"
Kevin Kline in "A Fish Called Wanda"
Marisa Tomei in "My Cousin Vinny"
Mira Sorvino in "Mighty Aphrodite"
"Annie Hall"
"It Happened One Night"

But it might create a different sort of conflict, e. g. which is better, "Chicago" or "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"? "Some Like it Hot" or "Moulin Rouge"? I think it's still an apples and oranges thing.

I'm with Phoenix, too, unless the awards are given over the course of two nights (maybe that's the solution?), they've pretty much hit their limit already in terms of audience tolerance. Adding more awards would make a four-hour show look short. Ugh.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:08 am
I don't think they should do that. I like the idea of one Best Picture award, and think another would dilute it. I dislike the way the Golden Globes give out two Best Pictures, it seems kind of a consolation prize. Having said that, Oscar certainly doesn't give enough credit to great comedies, and the Best Picture selections haven't been the greatest over the years.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 11:55 pm
I don't think the Oscar show is too long most of the time but there have been long ceremonies. How long is the complete Super Bowl anyway?

If an award winner talks more than one minute, the orchestra should bring up the music. Some of the winners are sort of in twilight zone when they are up there and a musical nudge would move them along. They have used this system in the past but I don't believe they did so in 2001 because I remember Julia Roberts talking for a long period of time when she picked up her award for Best Actress.

I know this year the Academy has given out warnings that they do not wish winners to use the stage as a political platform and they have been strongly encouraging short acceptance speeches.
In fact they said if anyone brings out a list of names, their time will be curtailed.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:34 pm
couzz<

Oscar has enough categories already. Let's not add any others.
0 Replies