If You Could Have the Talent of Any Person...

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:54 am
If you could have the talent of any person, past or present, whose talent would you want?

You wouldn't be taking on their life or actual works, just their talent to use at your own discretion for ill or good, in your own life.

Would you do as well with that talent as the original owner? Do you think that talent would make you happier than any talent you already have?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,942 • Replies: 24
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:36 am
The first thing that popped into my head was Condoleeza Rice.

The piano, the languages, the skating - she's pretty talented.

I don't think it would really make me happier but these are all things I would like to be able to do as well as she does.

I might change my mind after thinking on this a bit but, off the top of my head I'll go with Condi.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:36 am
I would love to have the talent of Spiderman! He is my favorite superhero and I can only imagine the fun of "swinging" through the city with my webs. I could catch some bad guys and be a hero without anyone knowing about it. And I think I would look pretty sexy in the outfit too - of course it would have to be altered to fit me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 10:35 am
Hmmm. I'm having trouble deciding between an artist and a pianist. I think either one would give me great pleasure.

For piano, more the Billy Joel / Elton John talent than the concert type.

For an artist I would lean towards one with clean lines over abstract shapes. Objects and animals over portraits. Flowers would probably be a favorite subject.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:42 am
I would want the ability to make friends in high places like that of Ken Lay.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:55 am
more important than talent, I would wish for the dicsipline and tenacity of certain successful individuals in order to maximize my own talents.

There are many talented people who just never buckle down and use it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:45 pm
Absolutely, bear....I mean, blue.

And yes, you have more than your share of talent already. Good to know you're not greedy...heh heh....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:48 pm
Sir Isaac Newton, the greatest scientist and mathematician in history.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:50 pm
Brandon reminds me of an excellent point I want to ask Squinney.

Do you have to take the negatives from thier life as well.

Look at Newton - Manic Depressive (by the looks of things) perhaps even a drug addict - did the majority of his major writing in a very short period of time - was toubled a lot.

Would we want their gift with thier demons?

TTF
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:48 pm
All you get is their talent / brain power. The rest would be the regular "you."

So, say you want the talent of Picasso. I'll give you the ability to paint like Picasso, but whether or not it has the same flair I would imagine would be determined by what part of your personality fits with Picasso's talent. You wouldn't necessarily be as tormented as Picasso apparently was, but then would your painting be as good? As powerful?

I don't know. That's why I said you would have that persons talent, but not the rest of their history, personality or life experiences.

So, just their gift. Who would you choose?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:55 pm
I would want to be like George Clakins, a shopkeeper who lived in West Virginia in the early 1800's.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:54 am
Epicurus:

The ability to live without anxiety (bodily or mental) and have tons of friends that loved you - AND change the world.

TF
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:59 am
Not really a talent... more of a reputation and his schooling i would love to have , but my choice would be Howard Carter
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:05 am
The Racine Belle's (of A League of their own fame) infield was loaded with speedy, strong players and the spirit and drive to match. Sophie Kurys,one of the league's fastest runners held down second and led the league in stolen bases. Kurys, after 9 years in the league, had among her honors five AAGPBL records: most runs scored in a season 117, most stolen bases in a season 201, most walks in a season 93.

I would like to have Kurys' physical condition to reverse the disabling life changing injury I suffered at age 36 while playing in a volleyball league.

BBB
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:20 am
Jimi Hendrix. No, wait, Jim Morrison. No, wait, Bob Dylan. No, wait, Billy Bob Thornton. No, wait, Mark Twain. Yeah, Mark Twain...no, wait, Ernest Hemingway...yeah, yeah, Ernest Hemingway...yep, yep, that's my final answer.

No, wait...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:23 am
Hm, Shakespear's ability to write. I love his ability to write comedy, drama, tragedy all into a story that is exciting and transcends time.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:33 am
Lester Piggott.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:38 pm
I would like the talent of someone cleverer than myself, but as there is no-one like that I will have to do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:48 pm
waidaminit, lets get back to George Clakins. Im sorry, what talent did he have Gus?
Im such a schmuck for even asking. West Virginia didnt even exist in the early 1800s
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:18 pm
Perhaps that was his talent then - living in a place that didn't exist.

It isn't nearly as easy as it sounds you know.
0 Replies