How come hares don't breed like rabbits?

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 04:02 am
Hi. I am just a bit curious about this. Hares are similar to rabbits. How come hares don't produce large litters of offspring like rabbits do? Is it because hares don't have as many (natural) enemies as rabbits do?

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,777 • Replies: 15
No top replies

hightor

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 04:52 am
@JGoldman10,
They're different species. Newborn hares are precocial and fend for themselves at an early age; young rabbits are born blind and helpless. Hares live in open habitats so raising a big litter of helpless young animals would not be safe. And you're probably on the right track about hares having less natural enemies, but I think it may be more that hares are able to escape their predators more easily. Rabbits are everyone's breakfast.
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:35 am
@hightor,
Quote:
precocial

there were a whole bunch oof words like that which were adopted by biologists in the 70's when the grizzly bar and elephant guys became famous as "Pop scientists"

I remember something like nerdifugous (but Ive since forgotten what ******* it means ). Maybe it meant certain animals tht quickly took to laptops

Never get old!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:41 am
@JGoldman10,
I once had some chicks who all were nidiculous
I thought this habit was all quite ridiculous
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:22 am
I don't know, so I'll tell you something I do know. The proper name for a rabbit is coney, which is pronounced cunny, which is very similar to the word you are thinking, and that is why a rabbit is called a bunny.
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:31 am
@Jewels Vern,
Quote:
The proper name for a rabbit is coney,
"coney" is only a medieval English term for a rabbit. A coney actually was an animal (now extinct) related to hyrax and found in the Arabian desert and described in genesis. Unrelated to Lepus genera,(coney were actually more related to ELEPHANTS) than rabbits

Lepus is the generic name for rabbits and most hares.All of these are LAGOMORPHS
chai2

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:56 am
@farmerman,

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 05:52 pm
@chai2,
thou cnst smote the killer rabbit by using the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:42 pm
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 09:12 pm
@farmerman,
I like my story a lot better than yours.
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 04:33 am
@Jewels Vern,
Yes, your story is more entertaining.However, like Mr Spock once said, "I prefer accuracy"
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 08:41 am
@farmerman,
To answer the original question: hares breed like rabbits, but since only their eggs and not those of rabbits are unfortunately used as as Easter eggs ...
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 12:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Hares do not produce large litters of offspring like rabbits do.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 01:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
In general, hares are characterised by a high fertility rate. Several times a year the female can give birth to offspring, the gestation period is about 25 to 50 days, the average litter size is two to eight, sometimes up to 15.

The reproduction rate for rabbits is also enormous: the female can deliver five to seven litters per year, the gestation period is between four and five weeks and the litter size is on average five to six, in exceptional cases up to nine young animals.
0 Replies

coa999

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 01:33 pm
different species.
it's like saying why don't dolphins breed like sperm whales.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 06:29 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Are hares ever referred to as "bunnies"? "Bunnies" is a term often applied to young rabbits.
0 Replies