Do you even vape brah?

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 11:19 am
BREAKING NEWS
The number of possible cases of vaping-related lung illness in the U.S. has more than doubled to 450, including three deaths, health officials said.

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 12:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not me......
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 12:29 pm
I was against vaping before any bad reports emerged. It just seemed like a way to continue the dangerous habit of cigarette smoking.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 05:35 pm
Just weed, occasionally. Edibles preferred.

By the by, a government-run cannabis store has just opened here and it is (no kidding) as smartly designed and appointed as an Apple store. 50 or 60 varieties of weed produced locally or from afar, with full data on ingredients for each and a range of the standard devices for inhalation. At this point, edibles are not available here and won't be until the government figures out the necessary safety issues.
farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 05:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Med Chem ha identified Vitamin E acetate as a suspect compound in these vape illnesses, not only the increased nicotine dosage.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 06:25 pm
@blatham,
Weed, separate from the vaping crap, is not an issue with me.
blatham wrote:

Just weed, occasionally. Edibles preferred.

By the by, a government-run cannabis store has just opened here and it is (no kidding) as smartly designed and appointed as an Apple store. 50 or 60 varieties of weed produced locally or from afar, with full data on ingredients for each and a range of the standard devices for inhalation. At this point, edibles are not available here and won't be until the government figures out the necessary safety issues.
blatham

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 07:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
It still is for some. I've been contentedly ignoring those folks for half a century.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 09:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Never vaped, never plan to.

On and off for plenty of years I did smoke cigarettes. Name a brand and I probably sampled it.

Except for Virginia Slims and Lucky Strikes.

Eventually, I have up the smokes (been over 20 years now, think it finally stuck)

Smoked pot 3 times, didn't get anything from it and then returned to basic booze swigging. (abandoned that too)

Wouldn't mind a permanent prescription for Dilaudid!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 08:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Gee, it's almost as if -- who knew? -- breathing stuff that isn't clean air might actually hurt a person.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 10:19 am
It's not as if vaping is new. Electronic cigarettes have been out on the market for years and used by tens of thousands of people. Suddenly we see a spate of serious lung damage occurring. It's not the vaping — it's the substance being vaporized, or in this case, the oil put in illegally refilled cartridges to dissolve THC:
Quote:
A common vitamin E chemical could be the cause of the vape-related illnesses that are rising across the country.

High levels of vitamin E acetate were found in nearly all cannabis-containing vape products tested by the New York State Department of Health, the agency said Thursday.

The vitamin supplement is known to be safe when ingested or applied to the skin, DOH said.

“However, the Department continues to investigate its health effects when inhaled because its oil-like properties could be associated with the observed symptoms,” it added.

New York has gotten 34 reports of people ages 15 to 46 suffering severe pulmonary illness after using at least one cannabis-containing vape product.

Vitamin E acetate was not found in nicotine-based vape products that were tested.

nypest

It should come as no surprise that criminals have identified a ready-made market and have exploited the popularity of vaporized chemical delivery technology. This is why we can't have nice things.

As I said on the CBD oil thread:
Quote:
Were I still a tobacco user I might think about it. But I wouldn't go the commercial pen vape route with the pre-loaded flavored capsules. I doubt that the vapor would be as tasty or as satisfying as old-fashioned smoke. I'd use organic tobacco and if I couldn't find it, I'd grow and cure my own — a tedious process. And hardly worth the nicotine buzz.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 11:18 am
I think I've tried three different vaporizers but each uses bud as in a joint or pipe. The advantage is a decrease in harshness, of course, but I don't find it that significant. Particularly ten minutes later.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 04:52 am
@blatham,
I can't cook with grass, it's not right. Fortunately a lot of the cannabis over here is hashish and that cooks very well. I normally put it in fudge. I can pm you a recipe if you want, although clotted cream probably isn't that easy to get hold of over there.

You can used condensed milk instead.
blatham

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 07:45 am
@izzythepush,
We've had commercial edibles available here for a few years (gummies the most popular product). Production and sales were illegal but nobody cared.
Presently, the BC government doesn't permit legal sales while it sets up systems to control quality, predictability and sourcing. I've never made nor accepted homemade products because 1) I'm lazy and 2) unpredictability of THC content.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 11:46 am
@blatham,
BREAKING NEWS:
The Trump administration is weighing a ban on the sale of flavored e-cigarettes amid a spate of vaping-related illnesses.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 01:40 pm
I echo some other here in suspecting that this is a problem related to vaping pot.

If we are right it is not appropriate to smack regulations down on the entire industry.

Before the government takes action, it should wait for the final results of the CDC investigation.
roger

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 02:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
CDC determined that non use of seat belts was a disease. I'm not so sure they are completely reliable.
hightor

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 02:34 pm
There are currently two different issues. Marketing flavored e-cigarettes (nicotine delivery devices) to teens with flavors like "strawberry milkshake" and the separate matter of severe lung damage, which is believed to be caused by harmful additives found in illegal vaping products sold on the street.

Above, I questioned why these cases of lung damage are just turning up now and I think my explanation is probably correct. But I did find this today:

Quote:
There are several theories. One is that some dangerous chemical or combination of chemicals has been introduced into the pipeline of vaping products. Public health officials believe that when people vape this noxious cocktail, it sets off a dangerous, even lethal, reaction inside the lungs. These officials have said repeatedly that they do not yet know which substance or device may be causing this reaction, and that is the subject of their urgent investigation.

A second theory is that this syndrome is not, in fact, entirely new and that some people had gotten sick previously, but that the condition had not been recognized and identified as being linked to vaping. As vaping has grown in popularity — both with nicotine and marijuana — more cases may be showing up.

nyt

I still think the first explanation is more likely to be the cause.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 10:31 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

CDC determined that non use of seat belts was a disease. I'm not so sure they are completely reliable.

So who should we rely on?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 10:37 am
I've no problem with restricting sales of vaping products to minors, but I suspect there are some adults who like the flavors too.

If the concern has to do with minors there are ways to address it without undue regulation.

No one denies that cigarettes are a serious health risk, and yet they have not been banned?

Why is this the case?

It's unlikely that the Democrats who never raise cigarette banning as an issue are motivated by libertarian inclinations.

The answer is that cigarettes and other tobacco products generate enormous amounts of tax dollars that politicians of both parties want to spend.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 10:58 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks!
Quote:
The Trump administration is weighing a ban on the sale of flavored e-cigarettes amid a spate of vaping-related illnesses.
I'll wager that the Juul lobby isn't going to win over the much, much larger tobacco interests.