Are you the same person you were yesterday?

Priamus

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:03 pm
Quote:
We do have brain continuity. The cells are replaced, but the DNA is the same and the new braisn are biologically caused by the previous brains. I essentially have the same brain as I did 3 years ago.

Yes, it´s growing and aging. "The cells are replaced", isn´t enough?

When I was in my mother´s womb I had the same ADN than now, but am I the same person? Perhaps we should consider what a person is; matter doesn´t change, an atom will be always the same.

I doubt your reality sense is the same now and when you were three.

Regards.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:11 am
I am the same "person," but not exactly the same as I was yesterday. My body is a collection of molecules that has grown and changed greatly since I was conceived, but is still felt to be the same body, even if I lost a limb or got a heart transplant. My conscious mind is generated by neural networks in my brain that have grown and changed over the years as well. It contains memories that allow me to construct a sense of who I am (my personhood), who I was, and who I hope to become. I am quite different now than I was at age 6, but I have a continuous autobiographical record linking me to that child and identify her as "me."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:51 am
Terry, You said it much better than I ever could. What you said was what I meant to say. Wink Actually, my life turned out to be much better than I had ever hoped as a teen; I've been blessed.
0 Replies

Priamus

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:06 am
I agree.

It is what I wanted to tell. If you aren´t exactly the same person you can not be the same person.
Anyway, even though I´m not able to keep my memories from childhood consciously, I am what I was. In fact a child personality conforms at five.

Now imagine, when someone tells somebody there has been a change. Who has change really? One of them has changed (or both).

I think many times we say someone has change when we are ourselves who have changed, but how can we know it? Do we have to believe that? It cab be an ambiguos circle.

Regards.
0 Replies