Seat Belt Ticket: Does it Affect Insurance Rates?

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:18 pm
Intrepid, another example of the two mouths of law enforcement and transportation:

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20050512.html

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:21 pm
Thanks Letty,

The logic they use makes no sense to me. Let the kiddies bounce off of the hard steel seat backs and stay in their compartment. No chance of flying out the windows or rolling down the aisle. They will be just as dead, but at least they will all be in the bus. Of course, they did not say that...but they may as well have. Rolling Eyes

Here is a Canadian source http://www.carsp.ca/schoolbus.htm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:29 pm
I'm guessing now, Intrepid, but I would imagine the school district bears the brunt of insurance payouts. See?

One other factor, there is an emergency door at the rear of school buses, but I'm not certain how that would make a difference except in case of fire.

cj, funnnneeeeeee, but since I always obey the law, I have found that it has paid off. I have never had so much as a parking ticket.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:39 pm
If you even attempt to obey the speed limits in CA, if you can first figure out what they actually are, you'd be road kill.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:40 pm
cjhsa wrote:
If you even attempt to obey the speed limits in CA, if you can first figure out what they actually are, you'd be road kill.

Sounds like Montreal :-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:50 pm
and that's why I take the scenic highway and NOT interstate 95!

Bella, I would fight that ticket. I hope your parents do.
0 Replies

Hunce

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:10 am
no belt kept me alive
In '58 if there had been a seat belt law I would probably had one on and would have been decapitated when a car came through my windshield-that split second to jump to the right was the same one going for a belt. It has affected me and still does every time i put on a belt-and am on medication for anxiety problems-before it was mandatory there was no problem and now it is mandatory as florida law now says they can stop you for not having on a belt-I'm not worried about the 'other people' attitude that cops give-I also wonder why they don't furnish a report of how many are 'vegetables,maimed for life, no possible recoveries etc.' due to belts-I also watched a friend burn to death because no one had a knife to cut the seat belt. She was a very good friend and her children are suffering........
0 Replies

Cali916

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 06:07 pm
Do I have a chance to fight this?
I have a question about seat belt tickets. I recently received a ticket for pulling out into the street and not wearing a seatbelt. Is there a way I can fight in when I make my court date? I was driving down my small residential street and pulled over when my friend flagged me down. I got out to show him some stuff on my car, talked for about 6-7 minutes then got back into my car. Mind you, my house is exactly 5 houses away. By the time I could've pulled onto the street, I would've been home by then. So anyways I pull out and wave bye to my friend, and at that instant, a police bike is coming in the opposite direction. He sees me and flips a u-turn real quick. By the time he turns his lights on, I'm already in my driveway. He comes up to my car and tells me that I didn't have my seatbelt on. I told him that I was pulling out of my friends house to drive literally 5 houses down. He just looked at me stupid and says, "Most accidents happen within 7 miles of your home." I looked at him and said "Sir, I have a clean record and I was just trying to get home from seeing a friend 5 houses away. He didn't care cuz the whole time he just kept writing his ticket. I'm sorry this is long and drawn out, but I wanted to include the scenario to see if I have a chance to get this ticket thrown out. Can anyone help me? Thanks for your time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:39 am
You weren't wearing your seatbelt while driving so leagally you were in the wrong. But set a court date and fight it because the cop may not show up and then the ticket will be dropped. The worst they can tell you is that you have to pay it, which you have to now anyway so you might as well try, right?
0 Replies

Cali916

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 06:00 pm
I hear people talking about how you can fight it in court when the cop isn't there. What does this mean? How do you fight a ticket as far as an explaination. How will I know if the cop is there or not? Does he have to be in the courtroom or something? I mean, is it that easy to say, "The cop isn't here, so drop the charges please". Lol, in case you can't tell, I'm not used to getting tickets.
0 Replies

Hunce

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 03:32 am
seat belt ticket
In our legal system you have the right to face your accuser and to ask questions of integrity of the violation. If they don't show up your rights can't be exercised, therefor usually the charges are dropped
0 Replies

Hunce

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:50 am
seat belt ticket
It is another way for the law to make more money-Not sure if it passed yet but FLA wants no seatbelts as a primary violation and can be stopped just for that---
0 Replies