What are we able to know? The revelation of our purpose?

Ray

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 11:15 pm
I just hope that the world hasn't gone too mechanistic in its view of humanity.

I think the search for the truth is the greatest drive for humanity. We have more free will, and I think that coupled with reason, we look for the truth and what ought to be according to the truth. We are after all a part of the universe, and with this realization perhaps we can see that we are a part of everyone else. It's really disheartening that many people have become mechanistic in their view of people. They look for scientific facts as the only truths yet fail to realize the whole and actual truth, treating people like machines and not taking into consideration the phenomenal existence of a person.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 11:33 pm
A late comer with a few thoughts from the first few posts.

It makes one wonder, though, how the first immigrants that came over the pond didn't really achieve much in terms of creature comforts that seemed rather common for the royalty class and some others with better education and commerce. It took a long while before the US started to build homes and buildings with any architectural skill. Seems most immigrants suffered great deprivation for generations before a few started to develop enterprises that grew.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:26 pm
Point is CI the first immigrants, in the main, consisted of down at heel, uneducated classes of the worst in Europe.

They were pioneers in the true sense of the word. It must have been hell for them at times. Even a simple thing like toothache and no assistance meant getting rid of it yourself.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:39 pm
Mathos, That's what I find so fascinating. Most of the first immigrants were uneducated and from the lower class of society in their own country. If they were provided with the right kind of opportunity in their own country, they would have strengthened their own country. Rather, all that potential came across the pond, and developed this country into one of the most successful in both economic and political term. There's a dichotomy there someplace for contemporary times and the immigration from Mexico and Asia.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:46 pm
CI interesting points, I rather think they would have always been failure material left at home. Perhaps simply surviving the crossing over the pond gave them cause to appreciate being alive, the knowledge of their own eviction from 'normal society in general' perhaps did them more good than the cat o'nine tales or ten years in a dungeon could ever have done. History shows us what mettle these people developed characteristically, combined with a passion for family love, protection and nurture in its fullest sense.

The Asian race is extremely adaptable, certainly they made progress in following the sun, whilst we got stuck in the ice age. Life though, is not taken so seriously by the Asian's they have a good optimistic outlook in general. They are industrious and hard working by nature, always fast to make a buck so to speak. In general they are polite, well mannered and respectable. I have good admiration for this race of people. We need a cosmopolitan planet, sooner, rather than later.

I know you experience illegal immigration on a large scale from Mexico. However, I am familiar with California, Las Vegas and other similar places which draw tourists and enjoy existing by cheap labour. There are more Hose's and Jesus's probably of illegal status working in hotel's bars, nightclubs, restaurants etc. etc. than I thought existed in Mexico. Seems to me you are yourselves, the sole creator's of this illegality, without showing concern for the future.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 04:14 pm
mathos, I know it's in good fun, and I'm glad that you said that. <smile>

One thing for certain. The royalty didn't NEED to come, and the indigent Couldn't come, with the exception of indentured servants.

The new immigration period in American history was different.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:38 am
Luscious Lips Letty,

You have admirable talent.

Do you consider, that America has an immigration problem?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 10:03 am
Well, Mathos, I have mixed emotions about illegal immigrants. I try and imagine how I would feel if my country were suddenly transformed into a dictatorship where every thing that one did would be suspect and punishable. Perhaps I would do just as they do. I need to weigh that, I think.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
Letty wrote:
Well, Mathos, I have mixed emotions about illegal immigrants. I try and imagine how I would feel if my country were suddenly transformed into a dictatorship where every thing that one did would be suspect and punishable. Perhaps I would do just as they do. I need to weigh that, I think.

That is the point I was hoping you would pick up on Luscious Lips Letty, we enjoy our way of life. We are therefore extremely cautious as to whom we allow entrance to the home.

Consequently, if you found it was all going pear shaped, you know as well as we all do, that a dictator, even a tyrannical dictator working with the preservation of our goals in mind. Well, he could do no wrong.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 12:45 pm
I find it very interesting about the immigration issue that doesn't make much sense. Americans on the whole will buy "Made in China" products with abandon, but takes issue with the immigrants that provide our country with "cheap labor." American companies are investing in China like there's no tomorrow that reduces the employment opportunities for Americans, but we don't hear the complaints from Americans. I agree with Letty on this issue; there isn't any simple answers, and most people are unable to take into consideration all the pros and cons on immigration.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 02:37 pm
No I cannot agree CI we create our own problems, you mention a little of this. We are in the main only interested in a good healthy bottom line. We need to concentrate on integration on a world wide scale. Fetch all the third world countries up to our levels, infrastructure initially, living accommodation and services next, the rest looks after itself. PS There wouldn't be to many in a rush to emigrate either.
0 Replies