Casting Bombs

Valpower

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 06:15 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
It does seem that way. I've been trying to think of more gross miscastings but I have to say that the movies don't make the mistake all that often.

Mostly that, but they also tend to shape our perception of good casting through casting patterns. (Hunky firemen, swarthy Italians, etc.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
That is what casting directors do -- they are more responsible for the periferal supporting actors than the leads and first supporting roles. The director has most of the say on the principal players. They do seldom stray from the formula but that is because the majority of the pictures produced are formulaic. Of the major roles, which we can really only deal with here, it seems when they go wrong, they go terribly wrong. It stands that there are a lot of versatile actors these days who don't get type cast. Not that we aren't going to almost always see a Tom Cruise as the hero. I understand in the upcoming Spielberg "War of the Worlds" he's a hero with warts, maybe an accidental hero?

As far as foreign and independent films, I have still seen some not-so-effective casting but not in the finest efforts.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:29 pm
I didn't buy Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman in their absurd side-kick roles in "Ishtar," and that is what torpedoed the whole movie.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 09:33 am
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Charlton Heston in "A Touch of Evil." What the hell were they thinking casting Heston as a Mexican cop?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:43 am
Heston did insist on Welles not just taking the role of the police chief but also directing the film -- he had some pull with the producer. If Welles hadn't directed, I think we would have been stuck with another routine B move. However, the studio bosses' memo that ordered that the film be recut (we now can see the original Welles cut) ended up mysteriously in the possession of...Charlton Heston. Because of Welles' direction, Heston came off very well for me although I can truthfully think of a dozen other actors who would have been as good if not better. It was actually the first part Heston was forced to play outside the Moses, historic hero persona (or his own fantasy persona, if you will).

Welles, incidentally, loved shotting almost the entire film at night out of the noses of the studio bosses.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 10:00 pm
LW: Yet another reason why actors should not be allowed to make casting decisions.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 09:08 am
As the story goes, I don't think Heston had anything to do with the casting of the movie and has always told the story that he suggested because the director had casted Welles that he also direct the film. Somewhere in the Welles side of the story and the Heston side of the story, it seems like Heston wanted to conceal he had anything to do with the cutting of the film. I think everyone is aware of Welles' profound dissapointment and anger over the former cutting of "The Magnificent Ambersons" (the studio sent him away to Brazil to film a documentary about Carnival and, of all people, Robert Wise edited the film).
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 03:05 pm
I hate to say this -- because I leeerrrve Al Pacino. Like most women, one smouldering look from him and I go weak in the knees.....I'm done!

But I didn't care for his performance in "Author, Author." (Sorry, Al, I love you, but I have to say it!) As incredible as he is in the dramatic roles that he's played, he seemed uncomfortable -- and unconvincing -- in this comedy piece.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 03:55 pm
You are absolutely right! I watched this movie for about half an hour and lost interest. Has Pacino ever done any comedy?
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 04:49 pm
Not that I would consider the movie itself as a cinematic masterpiece, but it had wonderful potential in the comedy ring...

Van Wilder - the love interest played by Tara Reid.

I thought the movie was hilarious. I thought all the characters fit perfectly. Until she appeared on-screen - and it all just crumbled right before my eyes. I have never witnessed such a dramatically wrong casting. Rolling Eyes She ruined the entire film, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 06:55 pm
Sanctuary, could you be thinking of another film? I don't believe Tara Reid appeared in Author, Author. Dyan Cannon was actually the love interest.

Eoe, I don't know if Pacino ever did any other comedies. I don't believe so. Which is probably a good thing!! Personally, I'd rather see him in the dramatic roles that he does so brilliantly.

Speaking of Pacino, and bad casting that almost, but didn't happen -- I saw an interview with Francis Ford Coppola a couple of years ago, in which he talked about how difficult it was for him to get Al Pacino cast as Michael Corleone. He really wanted Pacino to do it. But Al Pacino was an unknown at the time -- and the producers wanted to have a "big name" star in the role.

Among others, they were considering Robert Redford for the part. Can you believe it?? Michael Corleone played by......Robert....Redford??
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:04 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Sanctuary, could you be thinking of another film? I don't believe Tara Reid appeared in Author, Author. Dyan Cannon was actually the love interest.

Laughing No no, I said "Van Wilder," Stray Very Happy Sorry, when I posted I thought I was a bit indirect with the film Title Embarrassed
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:19 pm
Ohhh! No problem, Sanctuary!! :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:41 pm
Stray Cat wrote:

Among others, they were considering Robert Redford for the part. Can you believe it?? Michael Corleone played by......Robert....Redford??

I know, I know. How about Warren Beatty?
Did we dodge a bullet on that one or what?
Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:04 am
Holy smokes! One of the biggest casting bombs of cinematic history and no one has yet to mention it...
Sophia Coppola as Mary Corleone in "The Godfather III". Many say that this movie was muddy, murky and not as well-structured as the first two and blame these things for it's lack of popularity amongst Godfather fans but I say that the casting of Miss Coppola in the pivotal role of Michael's daughter is what tanked it. She couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag and casting her has got to be the biggest mistake of Coppola's cinematic life.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:45 pm
Definately, plus she was ....ummm... how to put it.....she looked a little bit too much like her Dad....if you know what I mean....
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 11:18 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Definately, plus she was ....ummm... how to put it.....she looked a little bit too much like her Dad....if you know what I mean....

truly a handsome woman.
0 Replies