Love, marraige, atheism...

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:01 am
I don't mean to be offensive, but if atheists believe that we are just "lucky" flesh and tissue, then what merit and how deep does the relationship go, in somehing as serious as marriage? Isn't marriage about love with all of one's heart?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,633 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:03 am
The unwillingness to swallow errant fairty tales whole does not of necessity demonstrate one to be devoid of emotion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:04 am
Re: Love, marraige, atheism...
By the way . . .

thunder_runner32 wrote:
. . . but if atheists believe that we are just "lucky" flesh and tissue . . .

Wherever did you come up with claptrap like that?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:19 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
I don't mean to be offensive, but if atheists believe that we are just "lucky" flesh and tissue, then what merit and how deep does the relationship go, in somehing as serious as marriage? Isn't marriage about love with all of one's heart?

Love is a biological process - why does God need to come into it?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:24 pm
Apparently atheists somehow manage to have deeper relationships than conservative Christians: 27% of born-again Christians, 29% of Baptists, 24 % of other Christians, but only 21% of atheists and agnostics have been divorced.

U.S. divorce rates for various faith groups

Yes, marriage is about love, but where did you get the idea that atheists don't believe in love, regardless of how the species acquired the capacity?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:00 pm
Setanta:-

It is a point of view.I try to avoid them myself but the idea is as valid as any other idea in this context.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:02 pm
Fortunately, we don't depend on the "point of view" of randomly selected individuals to maintain the electric generation grid, which thereby affords us the opportunity to sneer at one another in fine form. I for one salute this providential policy on the part of the electric companies.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:03 pm
Quote:
Isn't marriage about love with all of one's heart?

What does that have to do with religion?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:09 pm
Setanta:-

I agree.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 04:06 pm
Anybody with any sense would agree on that Spendius. How did you get in on it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 04:19 pm
Mathos, there are only two things in this life which I truly fear: the fury of my Sweetiepie were ever i so foolish as to scorn her, and the thought of becoming your friend . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 04:31 pm
I was just outside looking around and I do believe the utility grid has been replaced, in my neighborhood, by a faith-based aura generator. Lettuce Prey and pass the energizers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:33 pm
Yes, Dys, but can you really love Annie Oakley without first kneeling down and praying hard to Dog to make you a holy man?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:41 pm
Holy Corn Oil Set, is that poly-unsaturated ghee your frying those pig rinds in?
Dys (I can walk on water cause I know where the rocks are) lexia
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:08 am
thunder_runner32

I think you are making a confusion between atheism and philosophical materialism. It is not the same thing.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:23 am
Lots of us are both though. Are there any athiests/agnostics here that believe in anything non-material, out of interest?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:53 am
Quote:
thunder_runner32

I think you are making a confusion between atheism and philosophical materialism. It is not the same thing.

What's the difference?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:02 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
thunder_runner32

What's the difference?

Athiests believe that God does not exist, and materialists believe that only matter exists. Quite a big difference really...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:23 am
I love my wife the way a bird cleaves unto its mate -- not the way that Abe knew Hagar. And the hell does a bird know about Gawd?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:32 am
If God doesn't exist, how is there a 'spiritual world'?

Do animals get married? uhhhh......no
0 Replies