Trump again calls for readmitting Russia to G7

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 09:42 pm
Trump again calls for readmitting Russia to G7

Published June 9, 2018

Quote:
(CNN) — President Donald Trump on Saturday doubled down on his call for Russia to be readmitted into the G7 and blamed his predecessor for Russia's aggression in Crimea.

"I think it would be an asset to have Russia back in," Trump said during an impromptu press conference at the summit. "I think it would be good for the world. I think it would be good for Russia. I think it would be good the United States. I think it would be good for all of the countries of the current G7. I think the G8 would be better."

Russia was suspended from the group -- then known as the G8 -- in 2014 after the majority of member countries allied against its annexation of Crimea. It was the first violation of a European country's borders since World War II.

Trump suggested that Russia be allowed back into the global group despite their continued occupation of Crimea.

"I would say that the G8 is a more meaningful group than the G7, absolutely," Trump said. He also blamed former US President Barack Obama for Russia's move into that nation.

"You'll have to ask Obama, because he was the one that let Crimea get away" he said when asked about the annexation. "He allowed Russia to take Crimea. I may have had a much different attitude."

Former Obama National Security Council spokesman Ned Price told CNN that "today crystallizes precisely why Putin was so eager to see Trump elected."

"For Putin, this is return on his investment, and it's safe to say that his investment has paid off beyond even his wildest dreams," he said in a statement to CNN.

Trump's advocacy for Russia's readmittance to the powerful group of industrialized nations -- which he first voiced on Friday -- comes despite opposition from European allies.

On Saturday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he told Trump that asking Russia to rejoin the G7 is "not something we are even remotely looking at."

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said at a press conference Friday that there was consensus that Russia should not return to the G7.

"We agree that a return by Russia to the G7 format cannot happen as long as there isn't any substantial progress in regard to the problems with Ukraine. That was the common view," she said.

"We (have) always been clear we should engage with Russia where it is in our interests, but we need to remember why G8 became the G7, it was because Russia illegally annexed Crimea," a European diplomat said Friday. "Since then we have seen an increase in Russian misbehavior and attempts to undermine democracy in Europe. It is not appropriate for Russia to rejoin until we see it behaving responsibly. Putin should get nothing for free."

This sentiment was echoed by a senior United Kingdom government source.

"The PM has always said we should engage with Russia but beware. We should remind ourselves why the G8 became the G7 -- it was after Russia illegally annexed Crimea," the source said. "Before any conversations can take place about Russia rejoining, it needs to change its approach."

French President Emmanuel Macron told journalists on Saturday that Russia could rejoin the summit if Moscow implemented the Minsk agreements, which were intended to enforce a solution the crisis in Ukraine.

"For four years, we have been saying we will extend again if and when the Minsk agreements are respected," Macron said. "We will, but only when and if the Minsk agreements are respected. So it's up to Russia now. As soon as the agreements are upheld, we will open the game. And that's really my wish. I'd like to have a G8 in Beatrix next year and that will be because the Russians fulfill the conditions of the Minsk agreements."

Lawmakers in the United States have condemned Trump's comments, which some have taken as the latest example of the US President's failure to condemn Russia for its interference in the 2016 election.

"The President has inexplicably shown our adversaries the deference and esteem that should be reserved for our closest allies," Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona said in a scathing statement Friday.

Nebraska Republican Sen. Ben Sasse said in a statement, "Putin is not our friend and he is not the President's buddy. He is a thug using Soviet-style aggression to wage a shadow war against America, and our leaders should act like it."

Former Vice President Joe Biden denounced Trump's remarks, writing on Twitter, "Putin's Russia invaded its neighbors, violated our sovereignty by undermining elections, and attacks dissidents abroad. Yet our President wants to reward him with a seat at the table while alienating our closest democratic allies. It makes no sense."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Friday that Trump was turning US foreign policy "into an international joke, doing lasting damage to our country."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/09/politics/trump-russia-g8-press-conference/index.html

Real Music

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 04:58 am
President Donald Trump Surprises Staff, Wants Russia At G7.

Donald Trump's new comments on Russia are causing a split with allies. Fmr. NSC staffer Ned Price
says Trump is "trying to destroy" the international order and furthering Putin's goals.

Published June 8, 2018

RABEL222

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 10:38 am
@Real Music,
Still working toward a Trump tower in Moscow.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 12:49 pm
https://media.makeameme.org/created/donald-trump-demonsrates.jpg
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:26 pm

All roads lead to Vladimir Putin.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 09:04 am
@Real Music,
Russia Cannot, Under any circumstances be a part of the G7.

Have a lovely day
Real Music

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 07:23 pm
@mark noble,
I agree wholeheartedly that Russia must not be allowed to be part of the G7.
mark noble

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 07:37 am
@Real Music,
I never stated - They must not be allowed - I stated they 'couldn't' be a part of the G7.

Have a lovely day
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2022 04:26 pm
What is the G7, and what power does it hold?

Published June 11, 2021

Quote:
(CNN)President Joe Biden's first trip abroad since taking office includes a G7 summit where he'll look to reestablish US leadership on the world stage.

But what is the G7, and what power does it hold? Here's what you need to know:

What is the G7?

The G7 is shorthand for Group of Seven, an organization of leaders from some of the world's largest economies: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the US.

Russia was indefinitely suspended from the group -- which was at the time known as the G8 -- in 2014 after the majority of member countries allied against its annexation of Crimea. It was the first violation of a European country's borders since World War II.

What does the G7 do?

Members of the G7 meet each year for a summit to discuss pressing issues on the global stage and coordinate policy.

International security and the world economy are often topics of discussion, though recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic is expected to dominate this year's meeting.

In a statement ahead of the summit, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he will urge his fellow G7 leaders at the summit to make concrete commitments to vaccinate the world, as well as give support to the "Global Pandemic Radar" -- a new global surveillance system intended to protect immunization programs.

What power does the G7 have?

The G7 is primarily a venue for coordination, and the group has produced decisions of global consequence.

Ahead of this year's summit, for instance, G7 finance ministers agreed to back a global minimum tax of at least 15% on multinational companies. The G7 group also agreed that the biggest companies should pay tax where they generate sales, and not just where they have a physical presence.

US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Saturday that the agreement was a "significant, unprecedented commitment," from the world's richest economies aimed at preventing companies from avoiding taxes by shifting profits overseas.

What is the history of the G7?

The meetings began as the "Library Group," founded in the 1970s by then-US Treasury Secretary George Shultz.

Finance ministers of the US, France, Germany and the UK met for informal "fireside chats" to try to stabilize currency turbulence.

Japan joined soon after and, in 1975 -- with two of the original participants having by then become French president and German president -- the meetings were turned into gatherings of heads of state and government.

Canada and Italy soon joined and they became known as the Group of Seven.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/11/politics/g7-summit-explainer/index.html
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2023 11:03 am
1. It appears to be very clear to why the MAGA Republicans oppose funding of Ukraine against Putin's invasion.

2. The reason that MAGA Republicans fully support Vladimir Putin and Russia seems to be because Donald Trump fully supports
Vladimir Putin and Russia.

3. So, the real question that should be ask is "Why Donald Trump has and continues to fully support Vladimir Putin and Russia?"
0 Replies