Renting projectors and films -- any ideas?

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:42 pm
When I was a kid we used to rent films (on film) and projectors from the library and do "drive in movies".

Now the people in my neighborhood do a lot of block party type cookouts during the summer and I thought it would be fun to do drive in movies.

But I have no idea if there is even any way to rent old films and projectors anymore. Or, if there is anywhere to buy this stuff for cheap.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 830 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:51 pm
I just saw a projector at the local Goodwill store the other day but I'd guess that someplace on-line like E-Bay would be the ideal place to find something like this.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:15 pm
I just looked on E-Bay. 16mm projectors in working condition can be had for under $20 and there are quite a few films available (mostly from the 1940s) that run anywhere from $2 to $1000.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:16 pm
Thanks fishin'.

I think I may be the last person online that has never checked into e-bay.

I'm thinking the time has come.
0 Replies

kevin cacy

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:37 pm
projectors for sale
Hey Boomerang,

I recently purchased a 16mm projector for 150$ (Kodak Pageant 250s)and it is the best investment that I have ever made.
The Kodak is a manual load that is easy to thread. The best thing about the Kodak's are that there are many places to buy replacement parts and guys that can fix any problem if something breaks. Shipping cost for a projector should not be more than 40 dollars in the US.
The way I found my projector was an online film group at EDIT (Moderator): Link Removed, these guys are the best! You can post tech questions and films wanted as well. Just to give you a rough estimate of the average price of a film, these are recently purchased titles
1. Black Christmas (1974) this movie is my favorite horror film of all time and was a steal at 150$.
2.Breaking Away (1979) 106$ purchased on Ebay.
3.Starcrash (1979) 100$ Italian Star Wars ripoff that is a must have on Ebay.
4.The Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941) These are all 12 of the Republic chapter serials in mint condition! 400$ on Ebay.

When doing a search on Ebay, just type in 16mm and it will then break it down to different categories on the left and you will find Film listed. There are over 1000 titles listed at any given time so there is always something worth taking a shot at, but I warn you.....if you are looking for popular films like Raiders, Star Wars, Jaws, or any other blockbusters then I say 16mm film is way to costly for these films so Good Luck!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:56 pm
Hi Kevin Cacy and welcome to A2K!

I wish YOU were my neighbor.

Thanks for the tips on the Kodak projectors. I think I'll start keeping my eyes peeled for one. I have a neighbor who can fix anything with any kind of motor so even if I found a broken down one I'm sure I could get it fixed up. Where in the world are you finding parts?

I really wish that there was somewhere just to rent films though. It's probably a bunch of old librarians selling all those films on e-bay, either that or somewhere off in the vaults there are still a lot of films rotting away.

Still, now I've got the bug to have drive in night. It really wouldn't be at all the same to drag a TV onto the driveway.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 01:57 pm
We used to in the 70's, pre-VHS, get a projector and anamorphic lense (CinemaScope) from my roommate's job (Burbank Studios, Warner Bros.) and he'd bring home reels for a movie party.

Today, the cost of reel film is high and I'd recommend renting an LCD projector and a conventional screen and use VHS or DVD movies. On older black-and-white you won't be able to tell the difference.

On newer, widescreen and color, it would be great quality and you won't know aside from the lack of noise from the projector.
0 Replies