Sexy Beast

Don1

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 08:25 pm
Sexy Beast is a British gangster movie starring Ben Kingsley Ray Winstone and Ian McShane, see here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203119/

Question is this, in this film Ian McShane made cinema history, do you know why?

This is not a riddle I really would like the answer. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,211 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:33 pm
It was a great flick, all right. I'm afraid it's been a while since I saw it and can't answer your question, alas...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:58 pm
I would have to say it was because of the sex scene.

I can't think of another simulated homosexual act in any film portrayed quite this way. I didn't think a lot about it at the time. It was so brief my wife had to ask me if it was what she thought it was. We didn't see 2 people in it. Just McShane on all fours naked and sweating.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 01:05 pm
Now that parados mentions it, that would be my guess, too...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:32 am
McShane's transition to "Deadwood" and performance of Swearengen on HBO (has to be one of the most memorable characters ever in a TV series or any move, especially since it is based on a real person) and his guest appearance on Bill Maher's HBO show left me respecting the actor a great deal.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:39 am
My favorite part of "Sexy Beast" was at the very end (maybe even after the end credits?). A brief clip shows Ben Kingsley, newly arrived in Hell, still in his coffin as Satan approaches to claim him. Kingsley is smoking a cigarette, takes a casual glance at Satan, and shakes his head blowing smoke as if to say 'don't waste my time.'

Kingsley was intensely frightening in that film. It's hard to believe the same guy played Gandhi.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:44 am
He was nominated but didn't win the Oscar for "Sexy Beast". I'd have to look up McShane to see how he's fared with award nominations.

Then Kingsley returns with an electrifying performance in "The House of Sand and Fog," where he was frightening as an enigmatically twisted character.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:53 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
McShane's transition to "Deadwood" and performance of Swearengen on HBO (has to be one of the most memorable characters ever in a TV series or any move, especially since it is based on a real person) and his guest appearance on Bill Maher's HBO show left me respecting the actor a great deal.

Thats interesting LW I'd not heard of this programme McShane certainly gets a write up here.

http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/cast/actor/ianmcshane.shtml
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
Quite a filmograph for McShane -- a lot of TV and that's why he seems comfortable in the HBO series I would imagine:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0574534/

He deserved the Golden Globe and I wouldn't doubt he could garner and Emmy.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 02:33 am
I didn't know that he's from the same city as me Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:45 am
How about that? How's your six-shooter workin'?
0 Replies