Enough already of this Corby hysteria!

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 02:36 am
Dear Lord - Murdoch press attempt to quell the hysteria they help create.....

Clue - don't pander and inflame this crap to start with.

Sigh - why bother. he sells more papers both ways.

Is post-natal abortion ever moral?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 02:45 am
Question

<sigh>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 03:37 am
Behind the Corby frenzy
By Dewi Anggraeni
Australian correspondent
Tempo News magazine
Indonesia
May 30, 2005

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/05/30/corby2_wideweb__430x296.jpg
Michael Corby, Tony Wilson and Roseleigh Rose visit Schapelle Corby in Bali's Kerobokan jail
Photo: Jason South

An Indonesian colleague called yesterday morning with a request: "Maybe, from your vantage point, you could explain what it is about the Schapelle Corby case that has whipped up such a frenzy in Australia."

She added that the hundred or so other Australians in foreign prisons had never had such an effect. I gave some theories as to why this should be so, but in the end I said I didn't know. Deep down, I had some idea. But I deflected because what I said might have been interpreted to revive suspicions that Australians are racists.
... <cont.>

<complete article>
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Corby-Case/Behind-the-Corby-frenzy/2005/05/30/1117305558275.html
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:18 pm
Smile I agree whole heartedly with both of you.

What i find most ridiculous and embarrassing ( as an Australian) is how people have been requesting the return of donations they made to tsunami victims.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 12:28 am
I truly find that disgusting and imbecilic beyond words!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:27 am
msolga wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
... There is a persistent calumny here that says it's based on "guilty until proven innocent". That is completely untrue, there is a presumption of innocence....

That's interesting. Then why haven't the more "intelligent" media pointed this out, if it's true? I've heard that again & again ...

I think it's a combination of a virulent media meme and journalistic laziness. The Australian to be fair has published a Melbourne legal academic who is an expert on Indonesian law and he has explained the Indonesian legal system very clearly.

Just to show how this laziness happens (and not wanting to mount a thread coup) some weeks ago a British soldier was awarded a VC for his bravery in Iraq. The British Army website stated it was the first VC awarded since x (can't think of the date but it's not important). It was wrong. It was wrong because two Australians were awarded the VC in the Vietnam War which was after x. But because the British Army website got it wrong so did the media. All of them. All over the world. The reason is that they just reproduce what other agencies publish. Lazy journalism. Heck I didn't have to look it up, I knew they were wrong (I remembered WO Keith Payne for one).

Anyway back to the point at hand. I wonder if journalists bother to check all their facts these days.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:04 am
Thanks for that, goodfielder. It makes me wonder, too. Just how often does the media use primary sources for "news" reporting these days? Seems that everyone has simply been repeating everyone else in this case.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:10 am
It's funny when you read Reuters eg - and then other stories - most are just padded from the mouth of the primary agencies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:15 am
A bit like one of those games where a story is whispered around a group sitting in a circle, Deb. The story might have gotten a bit distorted via the method of communication, but basically everyone repeated what they'd heard from the previous source. And if the first source got it wrong, then we've all got the wrong informatiom!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 03:16 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/08/cartoon_0906_gallery__550x389.jpg
0 Replies

Iamacheater

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:05 am
You can also blame the media for giving her such a harsh sentence? (a rapist got 5 years)

Well I do respect other countries justice systems, etc...
What I am more concerned is how the media and our people are trying to get the goverment involved in this... So I am generally pleased with our Government's caution to this case, (note I am usually anti-Howard)

One thing I noticed is that the media put a lot of coverage on Corby, and thus making her a scapegoat, as the Indonesian is pressured to deal with it. If Corby was freed, it could set an example for traffickers, so there is a possiblity that the Indonesian Justice system have to make an example of her...

Another thing is that the coverage makes it harder for the Corby defence to pay a considerable higher fee for appeal that will result in setting her free....(yes you read it as bribing, and don't be surprise, the Indonesian judges can be corrupted, but I don't intend this as a slur)

And on her case of being guilty or innocent... I can never say: She looks innocent, her cases seems fine that the weed is not hidden properly in her luggage as traffickers would do.

On other hands, Australians DO traffick drugs to Bali to sell to Westerners for same price as in Australia, cos the drugs are top quality compared to Indonesian.
And she could use her beauty to look innocent... It is a possiblity, and perhaps overconfident about her own ability to carry the drugs?

But one question let me ask this: why are her friends who she travelled with not charged or even questioned?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 06:51 pm
Actually, the whole thing about the corruption in baggage handlers is making me more doubtful re her guilt.

It seems to be coming out more and more about that.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:48 pm
What's interesting about all this is that the topic was right in the background (news-wise) for quite some time and then suddenly it burst into life in the tabloid media (tv, radio and press). It was almost like it came from nowhere.

Re the judges reading books. Not only do some of our judges look sleepy they actually fall asleep in trials. I could be cynical and say that's why we have transcripts :wink:

Anyway the court has found her guilty, there are a few appeals to go yet. I won't comment on her guilt or innocence but 20 years for cannabis is bloody harsh - for anyone, pretty girl or decrepit old bloke.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:04 am
Hey, this is starting to look pretty expensive!:

Corby lawyers want cash, a culprit:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/06/11/1118347633306.html?from=top5

Govt set to pay legal aid for Bali Nine:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Govt-set-to-pay-legal-aid-for-Bali-Nine/2005/06/12/1118514923185.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:45 am
OMG! If she is innocent, then who needs the "help" she's received so far? Now this! Shocked

Last Update: Thursday, June 23, 2005. 8:35pm (AEST)

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200505/r48287_127170.jpg

QC alleges Corby team in bribe bid

A Perth QC helping Schapelle Corby's legal team appeal against her drug smuggling conviction says he was asked to pass a letter from a member of the team to the Australian Government requesting money to bribe Indonesian judges.

However, Corby's defence team says the money was requested for a public relations campaign in Indonesia.

Mark Trowell QC claims the team's coordinator, Vasu Rasiah, gave him an unsigned letter this month asking the Government for $500,000. ... <cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200506/s1399262.htm
0 Replies

Kirky

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:04 am
Look who's got a new fragrance now
Couldn't resist slappin this in here.......

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/58girl_/Able2Know/Lookwhosgotanewfragrancenow.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:54 am
Re: Look who's got a new fragrance now
Kirky wrote:
Couldn't resist slappin this in here.......

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/58girl_/Able2Know/Lookwhosgotanewfragrancenow.jpg

Baaaaaaaad newbie!

:wink:
0 Replies

lesleygow

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 01:21 am
Aw.... Muriel, you are awful!!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:29 am
Then there was the new Victa 'Shapelle', a lawn mower so advanced that its catcher was able to hold 4 1/2 kg of grass without making the mower feel any heavier.
0 Replies