Enough already of this Corby hysteria!

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:20 pm
Am I the only person in Oz whose not able to declare without a doubt whether Schapelle Corby is innocent or guilty?
Is anyone else sick & tired of the media-generated hysteria over her trial & its outcome?
Does anyone else find the reactions of many disappointed Australians embarrassing & disconcerting & at times, quite rascist?
Aghhhhhh! I can't stand any more of this! Shocked Mad
Someone explain to me why half the population of this country appears to be off it's face about this! :

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/05/27/schapellesupporters_wideweb__430x315.jpg

... "It was the drug case that stopped a nation. A few minutes glued to a television to see out a commitment that had roped them in quickly then dragged on for eight months. Even the Prime Minister, John Howard, declared yesterday that the entire nation "feels for this girl", although he implored Australians to trust the Indonesian justice system"[....

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Face-that-stopped-a-nation/2005/05/27/1117129901167.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,772 • Replies: 38
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:25 pm
No you aren't.

And I think the hysteria is pretty racist, or at least xenophobic.

That being said, I pity anyone caught up in many Asian etc. judicial systems. I believe their prisons to be even worse than ours.

And that is a hell of a sentence for THC.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:35 pm
Phew, Deb! Glad not to be alone in this.
Yes, the sentence is harsh by Oz standards, but there are many Australians in similar straits for attempting to traffic drugs in Asia. This is nothing new, but the reaction to Corby is quite unbelievable!:

Fury erupts at Corby jail term
Cindy Wockner in Denpasar, Bali
28may05/HeraldSun

SCHAPELLE Corby's face crumpled in anguish and her family screamed abuse yesterday as she was found guilty of drug smuggling and jailed for 20 years.

Pandemonium broke out in and around the Bali courtroom as the judges' verdict sank in.
Corby's parents and sister, in the front row, realised before she did what the lead judge was saying - and erupted in fury.

"You took the word of a liar . . . these judges will never sleep . . . Schapelle, you will come home.We will bring you home," her mother, Rosleigh Rose, screamed.

Outside, Indonesians applauded as Corby's sister, Mercedes, screamed at them to stop.....
<Cont, cont & cont! Shocked >

<link to front page of the Herald/Sun - Melbourne tabloid>
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,15429371%255E661,00.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:49 pm
Saturation coverage in the Oz media. The online front pages this morning:

http://www.smh.com.au/

http://www.smh.com.au/

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/

The number of links to each of the newspaper's main story is incredible.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:50 pm
She's pretty, and she cries.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:54 pm
Yes. And she looks like "us"! Unlike many of the other Australians caught up in drug trafficking charges in Asia. They tend to be mostly men, often of Asian descent, or else less photogenic types.
The thing is, even in my own workplace, there are people who are 100% certain she's innocent! They are adamant! Me, well how could I possibly know whether she's innocent or gulity? Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:06 pm
Also, Indonesia - though nt Bali - is the closest thing Oz feels it really has to an enemy. And they are generally weird and Muslim - and we can see all too plainly right here on this site how the forces of rabid fear and prejudice and loathing have been unleashed against Muslims - you know the people I mean!

I think that poison is pretty strong here, too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:25 pm
Yes, indeed! Sad

But as a media phenomenon the coverage of this trial in Oz has been quite extraordinary, don't you think? Including that Sunday night program with the "worm" & people calling the station to deliver their verdict on her innocence or guilt! It is almost as though, having gone through this process many folk feel affronted that the Indonesian court has actually found her guilty! While the Indonesian prosecutors are outraged by the reduced sentence (for drug trafficking) because of "outside" pressure.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:31 pm
Results of an internet search:

" 239,864 containing free chapelle"

(it's spelled either "Chappelle" or "Schappelle" on these sites)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:33 pm
Hmmm - I do not watch much TV, so I have not seen any of that.

Just been aware of it in the papers.

Apparently the Balinese have been as enthralled!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:37 pm
Just one of a load of similar sites!:

http://www.schapellecorby.com/showthread.php?t=543

& an online petition:

http://www.schapellecorby.com/petition.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:43 pm
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - I do not watch much TV, so I have not seen any of that.

Just been aware of it in the papers.

Apparently the Balinese have been as enthralled!

I didn't watch it, either, Deb. But have been thoroughly enthralled by the media analysis. In terms of influencing public opinion via the media it's been an amazing success! Even the prime minster has felt obliged to comment as a result of public interest & pressure!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 01:57 am
It is like a reverse Chamberlain.

As I said, Schapelle cries and such.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 03:31 am
Exactly, Deb. With Lindy Chamberlain every person & their dog "knew" she was guilty! And they all had weird stories to support their theories. In this current case, it seems everyone knows Schappelle Corby is innocent! There is just a wee bit of a chance that they might have got this one wrong, too! Who knows? Confused
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:07 am
Wait until the Bali Nine go to trial. Some of them are going to get the firing squad if they're found guilty.

20 years is too harsh in my view but then again she could have got the death penalty.

As for guilt or innocence. I haven't seen the evidence but I'm not going to condemn the Indonesian justice system. From what I've read of it it has much the same values and processes as our common law adversarial system. There is a persistent calumny here that says it's based on "guilty until proven innocent". That is completely untrue, there is a presumption of innocence.

As for Corby - it's a real life soapie. The commercial media have fed off this like the parasites they are.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:12 am
goodfielder wrote:
... There is a persistent calumny here that says it's based on "guilty until proven innocent". That is completely untrue, there is a presumption of innocence....

That's interesting. Then why haven't the more "intelligent" media pointed this out, if it's true? I've heard that again & again ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 03:11 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/05/29/30cartoon_gallery__550x333,0.jpg

I love this cartoon! Sorry, but you have to be an Australian totally p-d off by all the Corby hysteria to understand it! Spot on! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:01 am
msolga wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
... There is a persistent calumny here that says it's based on "guilty until proven innocent". That is completely untrue, there is a presumption of innocence....

That's interesting. Then why haven't the more "intelligent" media pointed this out, if it's true? I've heard that again & again ...

Oh, I haven't heard that - I DID hear an expert type person pointing out that the Indonesian system is much better since getting rid of Suharto, and ought to be respected. It just seems weird to us, no - with judges reading books and such. Though they often look awfully damn sleepy here in Oz!

I think the Bali nine look a lot more guilty - what with stuff stuck to their bodies and all!!! I wonder, too, if we are still racist enough to not be so worried about Asian Australians? I would not put it past us.

I so hope the poor woman isn't innocent. That is horrid to imagine.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 01:44 am
dlowan wrote:
I think the Bali nine look a lot more guilty - what with stuff stuck to their bodies and all!!! I wonder, too, if we are still racist enough to not be so worried about Asian Australians? I would not put it past us.

Sure, we are! Evil or Very MadRolling Eyes
And they're not pretty & they haven't cried.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 02:25 am
The Bali backlash
0 Replies