Navigation Bar

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 03:45 am
Hi.

I'm currently remodelling a website and wanted to get rid of the frames aspect, because I've heard that frames aren't very cross-browser friendly. Unfortunately, I'm too used to the fact that whenever I change the number of links in the navigation bar, all I have to do is add a link to one file, the navigation bar page.

I'm thinking of using a table-based navigation bar, but I want it such that whenever I need to update the navigation bar, all I have to do is to add the necessary links to one file (and thus change the navigation bar for all the pages).

Is that even possible?

(P.S. It would be nice if the script wasn't server side, because I usually do all my website editing offline).

Thank you in advance for any help provided.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,610 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 01:52 am
Either use server side includes or templating in your WYSIWYG editor.

I am the server-side includes kinda guy.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:58 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Either use server side includes or templating in your WYSIWYG editor.

I am the server-side includes kinda guy.

Don't have a WYSIWYG editor. I do things through notepad.

What, though, is a "server side includes", if you don't mind me asking?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 03:29 am
It means to include a file in another file on through the server-side programing language (e.g. PHP or ASP).

If you use something like PHP instead of static HTML you can easily include portions of the design in order to facilitate updates.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:50 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
It means to include a file in another file on through the server-side programing language (e.g. PHP or ASP).

If you use something like PHP instead of static HTML you can easily include portions of the design in order to facilitate updates.

Whoops! Forgot I posted here.

Yeah, but server-side means I can't see what affects changes to the code makes until I upload the files. This is annoying, when I spend most of my website editing time offline.

It also makes it impossible for me to navigate through my pages offline to change them.

I guess I'll just have to stick with frames for now. Thanks for the help, though.
0 Replies