Doing anything special for Independence Day 2019?

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 05:47 pm
@hightor,
If you're a Christian you should be praying for Trump.

If you're a foreigner I don't need your xenophobia.

If you're an American you shouldn't have posted in this thread. If you dislike America please don't impose it on me.

I want to enjoy the holiday, despite knowing you-know-who is in office.

I don't need you spamming this thread with pics of landfills.
hightor

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 07:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
If you're a Christian you should be praying for Trump.

If you're a Christian you should be praying for Trump's political foes.
Quote:
If you're a foreigner I don't need your xenophobia.

I've heard you can catch it on message boards — you should get vaccinated.
Quote:
If you're an American you shouldn't have posted in this thread. If you dislike America please don't impose it on me.

I don't see what my nationality has to do with my right to express or challenge an opinion. And your perceived need to stifle critical or satirical speech is imposing a more "anti-American" mind-set than my posting a picture of a landfill.
Quote:
I want to enjoy the holiday, despite knowing you-know-who is in office.

The two shouldn't be considered mutually exclusive. It's good to check out of the 24 hour news cycle sometimes. Hope you had an enjoyable holiday. I did.
Quote:
I don't need you spamming this thread with pics of landfills.

You should have put this in a set of ground rules at the beginning — how was I to know? I think we should be free to post our opinions about the responsibilities, faults, and self-imposed limitations of any nation-state, any place, any time. Landfills are symbolic — steaming, stinking monuments to consumption, excess, and mismanagement, and aptly represent your country on it's downward trajectory. The image was too good not to use.

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 07:07 pm
@hightor,
The Bible says to pray for your leaders. Like it or not Trump at the moment is still in office.

I heard recently The View acquired documented proof the Trump DID collude with Russia. The U.S. Government NEEDS to impeach him.

"Xenophobia" is dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 10:38 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

“If you're a Christian you should be praying for Trump.”

Like many here (and elsewhere) I’m neither Christian nor do I pray. I resent evangelical and people asking me to pray. This is an opinion forum that is open to all due to it being a democracy.

“If you're a foreigner I don't need your xenophobia.”
People who are not either born in USA or live here are welcome to post anywhere they choose. Opening a thread doesn’t allow you to police and squelch dissent.

“If you're an American you shouldn't have posted in this thread. If you dislike America please don't impose it on me.”
You’ve got the right not to read a post or set someone to ignore.

“I want to enjoy the holiday, despite knowing you-know-who is in office.”
Feel free to enjoy and participate in whatever activity you want.

“I don't need you spamming this thread with pics of landfills.”

Every dissenting comment is not spamming. These are opinions. You’re not comfortable now and in the past with the dynamics of the forum which allows dissent and democratic participation of anyone who posts.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 07:04 pm
I didn't go anywhere for the holiday. I was debating whether or not I wanted to watch any Independence Day festivities knowing Trump was hosting some of them. I watched part of Trump's 4th of July celebration online- I wasn't impressed. I saw the aerial show with the military planes flying and men singing patriotic American songs in the background, but I felt like I was watching a communist thing. Seriously.

I watched the fireworks show at DC later that evening.
0 Replies