What's the deal with the Pop-Up ads on A2K!

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:27 am
Do the companies that are being shown in Pop-UP ads when I log into A2K have any access to my computer? The last thing in world that I need is more adware. When did this start?? I hate to keep being a pain in the butt about this, but the last time I asked about my PM access I was told it was due to avoid spamming. I then asked had you received any spam from my computer because I was hacked in March of 04 and you told me no, I was not one of the spammers. So isn't this advertising a little dangerous for users of A2K? I have to say it gives me pause.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,011 • Replies: 41
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:30 am
I have never seen a popup ad from A2K. Rollover ads yes, but not popups.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:31 am
Yeah, me too cjhsa....no pop ups. Some really annoying sounds on the rollover ones but no pop ups.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:35 am
No pop-ups here either.

hmmmm

I think Craven has commented on this in the past.

off to 'search'
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:36 am
I think I found it:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=864488#864488

Craven de Kere wrote:
Beth,

Tell your work folk to learn about computers. It's because you have spyware and is only related to this site in that the spyware you have triggers pops by URLs (spyware has long done this to try to make users think it's from a site, and not look not look into getting rid of spyware on their puters).

We don't use popup advertising and will block any pop campaigns that slip through our filters.

If you want to accept your spyware as an annoyance then that's fine, but I will make it clear to others that your popups are due to spyware on your computer and not due to anything on our end.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:39 am
I just found the same thing.

I've never had pop-ups from/related to A2K time on my home puters. It's only ever happened on the work puter (which I finally tricked someone into doing something about).

(and no pop-ups from anyone at all at home since I installed Firefox)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:57 am
OK, maybe I should have called them roll-overs. Does the same still apply, I need to check my filters to make sure spyware has not been downloaded again? I check it fairly often, and right now I am only seeing these ads on A2K, not seattlebuzz or buzzardsroost.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:02 pm
(errrr, you can't use the westcoastbuzz name here - causes that autospamfilter you'll see in your post - not sure why you can't, but you can't)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:05 pm
Huh, how incredibly tolerant. Thanks for the tip ehBeth. Does that give me an extra demerit dooming me to eternal "not a member in good standing" hood?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:08 pm
You could try not giving a CENSORED about popups coming from AUTO SPAM FILTER, the CENSORED things just CENSORED with your AUTO SPAM FILTER anyway.

Wink
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:18 pm
cjhsa, sorry, I honestly don't know what you are saying. I'm guessing it has something to do with mentioning the name of another forum. I had no idea that was an infraction. I understand a vulgarity would be offensive, but getting popped for mentioning an other forum smells like bookburning to me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:04 pm
I was just funnin' with A2K, nothing more. Sorry for the confusion.

I came across the exact same thing about a year ago, and thought it was weird as well.
0 Replies

gollan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 04:33 pm
pop ups
hi new to this forum.... my home computer showed not pop ups, but as so as i tried using it a work, pop up right away, and really difficult to get rid of.... suggestions?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 06:14 am
See http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1354687#1354687
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:35 am
Jespah, Thak you for the link, but you just referred me back to the thread I started. I did get the lecture from the annoyed moderator and have taken it to heart. By the way, your screen slogan is a line from one of my favorite movies, I particularly liked the scene where the two fugitives are in the movie theater when the smaller one sees his captured friend (the one he thought was turned into a toad) and whispers "We thought, you was, a toad".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 04:06 pm
sozobe wrote:
I think I found it:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=864488#864488

Craven de Kere wrote:
Beth,

Tell your work folk to learn about computers. It's because you have spyware and is only related to this site in that the spyware you have triggers pops by URLs (spyware has long done this to try to make users think it's from a site, and not look not look into getting rid of spyware on their puters).

We don't use popup advertising and will block any pop campaigns that slip through our filters.

If you want to accept your spyware as an annoyance then that's fine, but I will make it clear to others that your popups are due to spyware on your computer and not due to anything on our end.

Oh - glad I found this. That goddamned weird frog thing - you know - the one you can get on your mobile - pops up all the time if I come into A2k from work recently - I kept meaning to say something about the horrid thing. It's so bad I had to turn my sound off, as it has infernal music which is very loud. I had forgotten about the information here. Hmmm - I would run a spyware check on my work computer if I were staying there - ah, mebbe I will, to be kind to the new person. If the damn network filter thingies let me download ANYTHING. Seems they can't keep the puters clean themselves, but they block all kinds of downloads.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 06:53 pm
It's hard to tell if you are talking about a popup ad dlowan, or merely an audio ad, can you clarify?

Does it open a new browser window?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:57 pm
Help a mid-life crazy women to understand what is happening! Why does anyone care, after all this time has passed?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:19 pm
I was responding to dlowan, who really should have started her own thread for reasons obvious now (it get's confusing to track two separate issues in one thread).

Your initial issue was very likely spyware on your computer.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:46 pm
Craven, relax, you have your whole life in front of you. Don't get bogged down in stuff that is not directed at you.
0 Replies