What is your opinion of people who just stand by and video tape animals about to get harm or killed

Methen

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 10:23 am
You tube is loaded with videos like this, a person sits their and records a animal such as a cat going up to a alligator or similar and does not do one dam thing to intervene or help ...

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 11:45 am
@Methen,
Same opinion of people who video tape other people or any living being that may be about to be harmed or in the process of being harmed rather than helping them.

Very low opinion.

I don't watch these videos or have any desire to - so I am unaware of how prevalent they are. I would hope that any self - respecting website would take these down - I would imagine these could be illegal at worst at best immoral.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 12:30 pm
@Methen,
Alligators are predators. They are supposed to kill and eat other animals. If you are saving one animal you may be condemning another to death.

I suppose if it is someone's pet (as in a cat) I might think differently. I probably wouldn't risk my own life for someone else's pet. I would feel very bad about hurting an alligator just for doing what alligators are supposed to do.

An alligator has got to eat.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 12:35 pm
@Linkat,
I also don't see what is immoral about these videos.. National Geographic has been producing them since I was a kid. They are generally considered educational.
Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 01:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I also don't see what is immoral about these videos.. National Geographic has been producing them since I was a kid. They are generally considered educational.

I suppose this particular example is a poor one of what I am thinking.

I am thinking more of someone doing this for their own entertainment not for educational purposes. Getting enjoyment out of another living thing's pain. I could be wrongly associating this with psychopath who is more directing (or encouraging) this sort of film than one filming for the pure education of it - I suppose because typically a kitten is a domestic pet rather than prey for an alligator.

There is a big difference for example of Faces of Death and a National Geographic educational documentary.

Typically National Geographic is not filming domestic animals being eaten by wild animals - they are filming behavior of wild animals.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 01:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If you are saving one animal you may be condemning another to death.

Exactly. Contrary to what a lot of people think unconditional love is, it's really about not letting your emotions dictate your judgements concerning the dynamics of the whole.
Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 02:08 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
If you are saving one animal you may be condemning another to death.

Exactly. Contrary to what a lot of people think unconditional love is, it's really about not letting your emotions dictate your judgements concerning the dynamics of the whole.

And I certainly support and understand the "circle of life" - just not the killing or harming for enjoyment and entertainment
Glennn

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 02:14 pm
@Linkat,
I'm with you.
roger

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 02:18 pm
@Glennn,
And, it's good to see you back.
Glennn

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 02:37 pm
@roger,
Thanks. But we both know that it can't end well. Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2019 08:51 am
Mild-manner schoolmarm me jumped out of my car this morning and SCREAMED at an asshole in a huge truck for nearly running down a gaggle of geese.

I’ve NEVER done anything remotely like that before.

I herded them across the highway. I’m sure I looked like an idiot, but I absolutely had not one **** to give.

It was about twenty, some juveniles.
Edit - I've always had a problem with journalists who video death and suffering. I guess they may lose the right to be in certain places if they interact, but I don't understand that mentality, either.
Glennn

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2019 12:40 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I’m sure I looked like an idiot,

I'm sure you didn't. Only someone without empathy would think you an idiot. You look hopelessly beautiful in my book. Exclamation
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2019 06:17 pm
@Lash,
I disagree with you about geese. They are overpopulated, they are a nuisance and they are a health risk. There should be fewer geese, the problem is a lack of predators. When the population of geese reach the point where they are routinely blocking traffic, it is time to cull them

In Denver, the wildlife officials are trapping them during molting season (when they can't fly) and using them to feed the homeless.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2019 06:22 pm
Well, that may be true. However, the geese aren't being run over by impatient drivers while filming their demise to post on Facebook.
0 Replies

Methen

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 03:31 pm
@maxdancona,
The same can very easily be a said about the human race and they do far more damage.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 04:04 pm
@Methen,
I consider humans to be more important than any other species of animal. I would never kill a human being. I swatted a mosquito today, I have killed thousands of ants, probably a dozen mice, and several fish.

I am going to eat a nice steak tonight. I wouldn't consider eating a human being.

Sure, I am biased. Human life is far more important than any other species of animal.
Glennn

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 04:48 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Human life is far more important than any other species of animal.

Prove it.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 06:00 pm
@Glennn,
If you had to choose between the life of a human child, or the life of animal, which would you save?
Glennn

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 07:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Why a human child? Why not a cantankerous, belligerent old bastard who likes to make human children cry?

And what kind of animal are you talking?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 07:35 pm
@Glennn,
That example works too...

Would you be willing to kill a "cantankerous, belligerent old bastard"? My point is that killing human beings is wrong (even if they are old and cantankerous") because human life is sacred in a way that animal life is not.