What is your opinion of people who just stand by and video tape animals about to get harm or killed

maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 10:27 am
@Glennn,
Equilibrium is not a given, there are periods of catastrophe when an ecosystem changes from one state to another. Often this happens on a local scale. There have been several times in history this has happened on a global scale. Read about the oxygen catastrophe.

Aren't human beings part of nature?
Sturgis

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 01:07 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, read what Glennn wrote. Do not rearrange the words of add words of subtract any words.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 03:21 pm
@Sturgis,
The statement that Glenn made, that "nature provides its own checks and balances" is incorrect. It is wrong to anthropomorphize nature anyway, but the claim that "checks and balances" are a given in nature is demonstrably incorrect.

Equilibrium only exists for short time periods

I thought my post in response to Glennn was clear enough.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 03:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Let's just say we have a difference of ideas here max.

How was Guadalajara?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 03:45 pm
@Sturgis,
I am in Guadalajara now for at least a month (and maybe more if things work out). I love it here thanks! Hopefully I be able to buy a house here in a year or two.

I don't mind having a difference of opinion at all.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 05:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The statement that Glenn made, that "nature provides its own checks and balances" is incorrect.

I just gave you an example of the natural process of checks and balances. Simply stating that I am incorrect doesn't negate that claim.
Quote:
Equilibrium only exists for short time periods

Here you are trying to make the case that, if it exists only intermittently, then it isn't equilibrium. You would only be correct if nature was static, and ceased to be a flow of movement. But it's not static; it's dynamic, and that is where your make your mistake.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 05:44 pm
@Glennn,
Equilibrium implies nothing changes over time. When something is "dynamic" it is not in equilibrium. I don't really get the point you are trying to make.

My point is that when a species evolves a new trait, often they displace other species, sometimes even causing them to go extinct. This happens with or without the impact of human beings.
Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 06:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
When something is "dynamic" it is not in equilibrium.

So you don't believe in dynamic equilibrium? Here's something for you to consider:

Predator-Prey Dynamics:

Ecologists often study the relationships between multiple species and their effects on each other. One relationship in nature that often shows dynamic equilibrium is the predatory-prey dynamic. Imagine a nature reserve that only contains rabbits and wolves. As the rabbit population increases, it provides more food for the wolf population. This sets both populations into dynamic equilibrium. The wolves, reaping the benefits of the increased rabbit population, also start to reproduce more. After a period of time, the wolf population also starts to increase dramatically. As more wolves are born and eat the rabbits, their populations eventually level off. The wolves, still reproducing at high levels, eventually start decreasing the rabbit population, which cannot keep up. The rabbits decrease, and eventually the wolves are left without enough food to support a large population. This dynamic equilibrium of both populations is interesting because it shows a direct cause and effect relationship between different species in an ecosystem.

https://biologydictionary.net/dynamic-equilibrium/
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2019 08:32 pm
@Glennn,
You are doing science by Google. That might be a way to make you feel like you are winning some argument. I don't even know what point you are making. You just googled a phrase and then copied and pasted the first result you found without even thinking how it fit into the discussion.

The point I made is that ecosystems change, animals evolve and species go extinct with or without human beings.

Do you disagree with this point?
0 Replies