Cutting Credit Card in Two

gollum

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 06:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Thank you.

1) I think that there should be a law or at least a good practice to prevent restaurants from taking credit cards to a place not open to the customer.

2) Banks send cards through the mail that have not yet been activated. I don't see the risk.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 06:38 am
@gollum,
That's my point Gollum.

A card sent through the mail before it has been activated has the exact same information stored on it as it does after it has been cancelled. It doesn't make sense to be more worried about a cancelled or expired card than you are about a card before it has been activated.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 06:42 am
@gollum,
When I was in Mexico at a restaurant, I handed over my US credit card to the waiter. My friend (who is Mexican) was horrified, grabbed it back and asked for "un terminal". The waiter smiled politely and brought over a little card swipe machine.

I learned to be more careful when travelling.
gollum

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 09:01 am
@maxdancona,
That's excellent. I wonder if it would work in the U.S.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 09:05 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

That's excellent. I wonder if it would work in the U.S.

I have yet to experience that in any restaurant in the US (not that I have much experience eating at restaurants outside of NYC).

I wonder if this is a logistical thing why it hasn't been adopted in NYC? Or simply ... the old school method of wait staff taking the bill back to their respective terminals is a habit that's too hard to die?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 09:09 am
@maxdancona,
I have traveled to Mexico quite often in my youth and old age, and never had any problems with my credit cards. With the water, yes. Even still have friends in Mexico City and Loreto.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 03:37 pm
@maxdancona,
I've actually never agreed with you much in the past, but I certainly do on this issue. Yes, there are thefts and scams out there, and I've been a subject of several of those (bank, credit card, and telephone usage) - we have never figured out who did it but once you activate your new bank or credit card, the old one is done and cannot be used. Don't know what's store on it and really don't care - maybe I should ask Eric Snowden.
roger

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 03:44 pm
@Mame,
And where the heck have you been all this time, Young Lady?
Mame

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 03:50 pm
@roger,
Love you, too. Been on FB, but recently cancelled that. How the heck are you?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 04:22 pm
@Mame,
You have agreed with me in the past, Mame. You just don't remember those times because they aren't as fun. (Or do you just want to keep it a secret.)

On the bright side, every time you have agreed with me you have been right. Welcome back.
roger

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 05:19 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Love you, too. Been on FB, but recently cancelled that. How the heck are you?

Finer'n frog hair. How about yourself.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 12:23 am
Laqst Summer I found out that someone had been using my credit card to pay for Netflix in the Netherlands. Despite the money being refunded and new credit cars being issued the money kept coming out.

Now most of this is because my card user is crap, but the idea that activating a new credit cards stops the old one being used is nonsense. I had two new credit cards yet the money to Netflix on my old card kept coming out.

It is now sorted, but only after I raised it with the banking ombudsman.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:24 am
@izzythepush,
That's scary. ID theft must be more common than most of us realize. However, I know that with my American Express credit card, I'm fully protected from fraud. It's easy to question any unidentified charge on my statement, and they'll put a stop payment on it to research it. Haven't had any problems for many years.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
What's even more scary is it was the credit card company who told me about it in the first place, only to process three more fraudulent transactions.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:33 am
@izzythepush,
OUCH!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
I know, they're bloody crap. It was only when I got onto Netflix Netherlands myself that it stopped.

I did get two lots of refunds though, one from the credit card and one from Netflix.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 12:25 pm
@izzythepush,
All's well that ends well.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 02:48 pm
@maxdancona,
ha ha ha - to your second sentence Smile It's been so long since I've been here that I truly don't remember.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 02:49 pm
@izzythepush,
Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, obviously.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 02:52 pm
@roger,
Been doing a lot of travelling the past few years - Nicaragua, Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Germany, the Netherlands, Jamaica, etc... fun!
0 Replies