An open forum to discuss A2K downvote abuse

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 09:10 pm
I would like to extend an invitation to all users, and particularly to admins, to discuss the very obvious and rampant downvoting abuse on able2know.

Of course I believe this to be occurring primarily to conservatives, but I would like to hear from others if they believe it is also happening to liberals.

I don't think it's productive when someone is downvoted so much that their post becomes invisible. This is a form of censorship. Many times the posts that are downvoted are benign in nature, and are being downvoted simply out of spite directed at the member.

maxdancona

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 09:23 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,
Haven't we already had enough of these threads? I feel like this issue has been beaten to death already.... and I agree with you.

FreedomEyeLove

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 10:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Have admins publicly addressed this issue before? If so, what was their input? Can you direct me to that thread?
laughoutlood

Sat 15 Jun, 2019 10:06 pm

Call out the instigators
Because this thumb isn't fair
We've got to finger all the repressive culprits
Because they plum give me the shits
When they thumb me down
And I've been known to frown
We have got to stop it together
Nail it, stop it, crop it together now

Cut off the hands of thievers
Because this thumb thing isn't fair
We've got to dum de dum and dum de dum dum dum
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 12:45 am
Who with any smarts gives a damn whether they are thumbed up or down? Certainly not me.
oralloy

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 07:45 am
@FreedomEyeLove,
FreedomEyeLove wrote:
Have admins publicly addressed this issue before? If so, what was their input? Can you direct me to that thread?

About a year ago someone started using multiple accounts to fight back against the downvote abuse by outvoting the leftists. The consternation and squawking when leftists were the ones being voted down was quite something.

The admins reacted almost immediately:
http://able2know.org/topic/468668-1

So far as I know, downvote abuse against conservatives has never been addressed.
nimh

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 10:34 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
About a year ago someone started using multiple accounts to fight back against the downvote abuse by outvoting the leftists. The consternation and squawking when leftists were the ones being voted down was quite something.

The admins reacted almost immediately:
http://able2know.org/topic/468668-1

I remember that, but in that case the mass downvotes got so bad, you'd get things like an entire page of posts that had all become collapsed because of mass downvotes.

That cannot but have been the work of someone, or some people, waging a concerted personal vendetta campaign and systematically downvoting even stuff like word game posts into invisibility if they were by the 'wrong' people.

That seems like a different beast from the dynamic you're talking about, where people with unpopular opinions often get some downvotes even when making a reasoned argument just because most people disagree -- and people use the up- and downvote button to indicate (dis)agreement.

Neither is good, by the way. I'm not defending the latter behaviour, which is childish and petty too. Downvote something because it's badly argued, or puerile, or offensive, not just because you disagree with the POV or you dislike the person.
neptuneblue

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 10:57 am
@nimh,
I will exercise my thumb rights in any way, every way and to the best of my ability.

So....there's that.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 11:49 am
@FreedomEyeLove,
Quote:
An open forum to discuss A2K downvote abuse

1. Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to post something that you believe to be absurd and false, would you downvote that particular post?

2. Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to post something that you believe to be racist and hateful, would you downvote that particular post?

3. Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to post something that you believe to be insulting and offensive, would you downvote that particular vote?
Real Music

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 11:55 am
@FreedomEyeLove,

https://able2know.org/topic/516519-1
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 07:46 pm
Another whiner heard from.
laughoutlood

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 09:15 pm

Thumbelina, Thumbelina tiny little thing
Thumbelina dance, Thumbelina sing
Thumbelina what's the difference if you're very small?
When your heart is full of love you're nine feet tall
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 09:19 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Well... you didn't have to come to this thread Setanta.
FreedomEyeLove

Mon 17 Jun, 2019 03:17 am
@Real Music,
Quote:
1. Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to post something that you believe to be absurd and false, would you downvote that particular post?2. Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to post something that you believe to be racist and hateful, would you downvote that particular post?

3. Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to post something that you believe to be insulting and offensive, would you downvote that particular vote?

So essentially, you're admitting that you are one of the downvote abusers. Nice to know.

Who gets to define what's absurd and false?
Who gets to define what's insulting and offensive?
Who gets to define what's racist and hateful?

Because leftists have some pretty loose definitions for these things.

The racism of technology - and why driverless cars could be the most dangerous example yet

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2019/mar/13/driverless-cars-racist

Minorities in the US breathe in more air pollution caused by white people

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2019/jun/09/black-hispanic-people-air-pollution-inequity-study?fbclid=IwAR2NSVbIhKCyJFa-m6SE45ygWODMNhfqli2w6HXtscXC-bgGabJtlR9x4zc
FreedomEyeLove

Mon 17 Jun, 2019 03:19 am
@FreedomEyeLove,
My benign post was voted down to negatives. Thanks for proving my point abusers.

oralloy said

Quote:

The admins reacted almost immediately

So far as I know, downvote abuse against conservatives has never been addressed.

This doesn't surprise me. The left doesn't care one iota about the free speech of people with opinions they disagree with, but the minute someone uses their own tactics back at they, they cry foul.

I read through that thread and a couple other threads. So much crying from leftists. But every time people on the right, yourself included, brought up issues regarding voting abuse against conservatives, your very relevant points were disregarded and downvoted in kind.

Setanta said

Quote:

That's funny, because you were crying quite hard about voting abuse here:
https://able2know.org/topic/467321-8#post-6679546

It was very entertaining to see you cry and whine so much setanta. For a degenerate like you to get so upset, whoever got you riled up deserves a handshake and a gold star. Very Happy
FreedomEyeLove

Mon 17 Jun, 2019 03:21 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

Well... you didn't have to come to this thread Setanta.

But it was funny, and it showed what a hypocrite he is, so not a total loss.
0 Replies

FreedomEyeLove

Mon 17 Jun, 2019 03:26 am
More Setanta crying Very Happy

https://able2know.org/topic/467321-6#post-6678674
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 17 Jun, 2019 04:07 am
@FreedomEyeLove,
Quote:
So essentially, you're admitting that you are one of the downvote abusers. Nice to know.
I said no such thing.
Who said that your definition of downvote abuse is abuse?
Your definition and my definition are obviously different.
If I believe what someone has posted to be racist, hateful, absurd, or false, of course I am going to downvote that post.
As I should. Your definition of downvote abuse is simply absurd.

Quote:
Who gets to define what's absurd and false?
Who gets to define what's racist and hateful?
Anyone, if a posting is obviously absurd, false, racist, or hateful, and can be easily proven.

Quote:
Who gets to define what's insulting and offensive?
In some cases, what is deemed insulting and offensive can be subjective.
In other cases, it's obvious common decency.

One other thing. I notice that in your attempt to distract, that you didn't answer any of my three previous questions I posed to you.
That is fine with me.
It is your right to distract and not answer my questions.
Let me try asking you the questions in a different way.
As always, you have the right to not answer.

1. When do YOU yourself ever downvote a post?
2. What are some reasons that would cause YOU yourself to downvote a posting?

I told you what would cause me to downvote a post.
Now, it's your turn.
FreedomEyeLove

Mon 17 Jun, 2019 04:44 am
@Real Music,
Quote:
Anyone, if a posting is obviously absurd, false, racist, or hateful, and can be easily proven.

'Absurd', 'false', 'racist', and 'hateful' are all subjective terms.

Point me to an authoritative source with a clear and all encompassing definition for what these things mean.

According to well known leftist media outlet the Guardian, air pollution self driving cars, and technology itself are "racist" things.

Quote:
In some cases, what is deemed insulting and offensive can be subjective.
In other cases, it's obvious common decency.

Common decency according to leftists isn't the same thing as what common deceny means to normal people who aren't weirdos.

Quote:

1. When do YOU yourself ever downvote a post?
2. What are some reasons that would cause YOU yourself to downvote a posting

1) I don't downvote anyone. I only upvote.
2) I would probably downvote if someone was calling for violence I suppose.
neptuneblue

Mon 17 Jun, 2019 05:41 am
@FreedomEyeLove,
FreedomEyeLove wrote:
1) I don't downvote anyone. I only upvote.
2) I would probably downvote if someone was calling for violence I suppose.

And, that's great! For you...

But not for me. I down vote lots of stuff. I up vote too. And sometimes, I just don't care enough either way.

I can understand what happened before, where multiple accounts down voted certain posts. But what you're saying isn't that, you're having a snowflake meltdown because someone doesn't like your posts.

Again, the perimeters that are given on this site is a cartoon thumb. It's function is to up vote or down vote. It is subjective and sometimes unfair or hurtful. It can also be uplifting and funny or just an acknowledgement of a post. Until such a time where the creators change the perimeters, this is what we have.

If you don't want to be down voted, quit posting inflammatory things.

1. Forums
  2. » An open forum to discuss A2K downvote abuse
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 11:26:34