How do you add pics to posts that are not from direct URL links, like from your PC, for example?

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2019 06:15 pm
Hi. I know you can add pics to posts using the "Img" prompt. To add pics in posts on this site you use the following format:

[img](address of URL)[/img]

and then the images are visible in your posts.

However on other sites, you can upload and post pics in posts that you saved to your PC with the aid of a certain prompt.

Can you do that on here?

Is it possible to post other kinds of pics that are not from direct URL links in posts?

Please let me know- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,663 • Replies: 12

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2019 06:42 pm
@JGoldman10,

no, you cannot post an image that does not have a web address...
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2019 04:38 pm
@Region Philbis,
Okay. I can screenshot images off the Internet and save them to my Photobucket and then post the URL for those images using the "Img" prompt.

It would be a heck of a lot easier just to pull up the "Img" prompt and select and index the names of the pics you pull up from your PC into the "Img" function and post the pics that way, like on some other sites.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 07:15 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Okay. I can screenshot images off the Internet and save them to my Photobucket and then post the URL for those images using the "Img" prompt.

Some photo hosting sites don't allow for hotlinking. Flickr needs the user to have the paid account to hotlink images to third party sites. And a simple search looks like Photobucket doesn't allow users on their free account to hotlink images to third party sites as well.

Quote:
It would be a heck of a lot easier just to pull up the "Img" prompt and select and index the names of the pics you pull up from your PC into the "Img" function and post the pics that way, like on some other sites.

I think you don't understand how images and the internet work. You can't post/hotlink images to sites like a2k from your own home or work computer (unless your computer is also a server that's always on 24 hours a day) while not uploading the image to an online server or a2k.

a2k doesn't want to host image files and videos on their servers. It's their right to keep their servers gigabytes and terabytes free from this responsibility/burden.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 12:37 am
@tsarstepan,
I understand how posting images work on the Internet. I know Internet forums and message boards are set up certain ways to allow people to post images in threads.

I have a Newgrounds account. On Newgrounds, you can post pics in posts in threads in the manner I described. I would like to post screenshots of THEIR "Img" feature and how it works there, so you can see what I was talking about, when I have the time.
Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 08:44 am
@JGoldman10,
👀

Comprehension seems to be lacking. A few times mes it’s been explained how this site works and you’ve restated your comment.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 08:48 am
@JGoldman10,
And you can upload on TrekBBS and probably dozens of other places.

That's not going to change how uploading works here.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 04:02 pm
@jespah,
I understand that. I was just making a statement about the functionality on this site and I was trying to explain to Region how uploading pics works on another online community.

I said it would be a heck of a lot easier if you could upload pics in the same fashion on THIS site.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 10:44 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I said it would be a heck of a lot easier if you could upload pics in the same fashion on THIS site.

But since this site is free and sans advertising, it's about server maintenance. And allowing image and video hosting on the a2k servers? That would be prohibitively expensive due to the amount of servers they'll need to accommodate the exponential amount of gigabytes that will flood the site in the coming months and years.

Do you plan on donating $ thousands or more to allow this expansion and to keep this forum free?

These are some of the compromises that keep a2k functional and active.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 10:47 am
@tsarstepan,
Do you propose on starting a crowdfunding campaign to raise money to improve upon the functionality of this site?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 11:01 am
@JGoldman10,
No. I enjoy this site and talking to people here. I won't join a crowdfunding effort where I won't be participating monetarily. I have my limited resources and priorities to those resources.

Plus, you have to ask Robert G. if he will even allow this activity to be officially recognized. In the grand scheme of things? There are far more pressing issues across the world than this.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 11:16 am
@tsarstepan,
Okay. Robert G. is an admin?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 11:18 am
@JGoldman10,
He basically owns the site.
0 Replies